XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone Dock Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azeteg
Sorry, have been busy with other hobbies lately. Golf, musicianship, tennis and so on

I know that PLA is not a good material for car interiors though. My printed part warped after the car was out in the sun with an open roof and 36C heat. So it can only be used for prototyping really.
This is an amazing project you've completed. I'm thoroughly impressed with your detail and creativity.

I'm a complete amateur at the 3D printing concept, but was wondering: since you have the design, is the material limitation due to your printer or simply all 3D printers? In other words, I've read about companies who will take your 3D design and 3D print it with their industrial printers in a variety of colors, finishes, and material (shapeways is one). Do you believe their material would hold up better in an automotive setting? There are a few iPhone car docks available on their site, though none nearly as refined as yours.

The bottom line is I'd be in to purchase one. My wife primarily drives the XK8 and is an iPhone 5 user. This would be an ideal accessory for her.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Greetings, That is terrific work! I have been staring at the coin tray from my '97 XK-8 coupe. Where your's is fitted with the top control switch mine has a second set of coin slots. My goal is to add an antenna control switch on the left side of this assembly. Is it possible to get your solidWorks design? You clearly have correctly replicated the unit parameter. My intent will be to modify your design to restore the center "tray" and fit a round rocker switch. We have a high end 3-D printer at work and I think they let us produce personal parts when it is idle. Are we permitted to provide direct email contact through this forum? Thanks for your consideration. Regards, Ken

Old 03-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
Default sharing is caring. :)

Hi.

Love this solution!

Sorry I'm reviving an old thread like this but I wonder if I may have the solidworks file for this device? I am about to do the same thing but for my Note4 and as you allready spent the time making a nice piece It would be an easy thing to just adapt the center hole for my phone and print it.

Regards
/Daniel

Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you ever get a response?
I'd like to get my hands on this too! Although i don't need vert switch.

Cheers
Grif

Originally Posted by zecretw
Hi.

Love this solution!

Sorry I'm reviving an old thread like this but I wonder if I may have the solidworks file for this device? I am about to do the same thing but for my Note4 and as you allready spent the time making a nice piece It would be an easy thing to just adapt the center hole for my phone and print it.

Regards
/Daniel

Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Grif
Did you ever get a response?
I'd like to get my hands on this too! Although i don't need vert switch.

Cheers
Grif

No I haven't, but I have not tried to Contact @azeteg private either. But soon this part of the Project is starting, so if you find him please PM me too.

/D

Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just thinking about this....
I might pull out the coin tray and see if I can design up an option myself that I could send to an online 3d printer. I have some 3d modelling skills but having to send it off to an online 3d printer will no doubt result in a few timely attempts before I get it right. Might be able to create something that simply slots into the recessed section only.. I'll start another thread on it if I think it's possible :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Grif:
giandanielxk8 (09-01-2015), zecretw (08-31-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Azeteg, thank you - wonderful job and excellent documentation. Now that this has been in place for a couple of years, have you any further thoughts or improvements that might be useful to those beginning to consider this project. Samson2

Old 10-13-2015, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grif
Just thinking about this....
I might pull out the coin tray and see if I can design up an option myself that I could send to an online 3d printer. I have some 3d modelling skills but having to send it off to an online 3d printer will no doubt result in a few timely attempts before I get it right. Might be able to create something that simply slots into the recessed section only.. I'll start another thread on it if I think it's possible :-)
Hi.

Did you pursue this any further?

/D

Old 10-13-2015, 03:58 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry guys, I haven't been on the forum at all for a long time.

I haven't pursued the project further, and with the constantly changing designs and models from Apple (and other manufacturers), it isn't too easy to keep up. Also, a regular extrusion type 3D printer doesn't work for in-car parts due to summer heat, they just warp.

I figure that the best solution right now is to use a bluetooth kit such as the IO Play 2.

If anyone wishes to have the Solidworks files and other things I collected during the project, please send me a private message, and I will make it available for you.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default An artist AND a Genius

That is truly great work. Thanks for sharing that really professional project!! I found your thread because I was planning to do a similar thing -- but just for nav purposes. I need to be able to use either my phone while it's in its Otter Box case, or allow my wife to use her phone, which is not in a case. Ill make a wooden plug to fit that tray, then route two slots in the wood: one to run a USB charge cable to the bottom of the phone and one to accept the phone. I will also tilt it and angle it toward the driver.
It will not be as versatile as yours in terms of making calls but we own a convertible.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Brilliant ! I want/need one !

Old 12-04-2016, 05:20 AM

If anyone got the files, please upload them to Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects

We are many who wants to use it.