XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

ipod adapter that work with stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ipod adapter that work with stock radio?

is there any kind of ipod adapter that works with our stock radio? i dont have a premium sound system. just plain jane radio and system

Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

If you want to plug-and-play either use a cassette adapter or an FM adapter like this: Amazon.com: Monster iCarPlay Wireless FM Transmitter/Charger for iPod: Electronics .

Do you have the CD changer? If you do, there are some other options for better quality, but all involve some wiring customizations in one form or another.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought the Monster FM adaptor/charger to use on a long trip up I-5 LA to Sacramento. it was very rare even out in open country to not have interference from local stations, requiring a lot of attention from passenger to shift stations. It also seem to be compromised depending on how straight and in what orination the lead is from cigarette lighter as that is the "broadcast" antenna. The passenger (wife) was not amused with the task of hold the i-pod here and hold this wire straight, shift stations, select tracks, etc.

I have a very complete warranty in place that covers my cd changer and navigation system so I am hesitant to mess with existing radio. I am very jealous of my wife's BMW set up with control over i-pod from the radio and display of the tunes on radio display. The connection from the CD changer to the radio is a natural place to make the connection and install a switch to go back and forth. If you have a navigation system, the video screen is fairly generic. I am about ready to take responsibility if something goes wrong and go for permanent install.

The Monster FM transmitter did not work well for me. I also have a coupe which means there is sheet metal between the transmitting antenna (power cord) and the radio receiveing antenna at the back of the car. Results may be better in cloth top.

Regards,
1AVguy

Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I am not a fan of the modulators, and the cassette type almost seems archaic.

I have looked into doing away with the CD changer and using the connection adapted to an IPod, struck out I am afraid! It seems the old head unit requires a signal from the CD changer so it knows it is there to work, we tried but could not replicate the signal to fool the head unit and the cost involved made it unworkable.

I am not saying it could not be done but you would have to be a bit of an electrical nerd to do it yourself at a cheap cost.

The idea was to have a little 'black box' with a din connection for the original cable and a USB connection for the IPod, the idea was good, but in practice, not so good.

You could buy everything you needed from Maplins (a UK version of Radio Shack), alas I am many things, a electrical whizz I am not

Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, a good wired-in FM modulator may be the best answer. I agree the wireless ones can be flakey. This is a really nice up-to-date one:
DICE FM Modulator Interface Connect your iPod®, iPhone®, a USB drive, and a SIRIUS tuner to your factory stereo (Model FMRDS USB Pro) at Crutchfield.com

Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

An Alpine KCA-410C Versatile Link adapter should also work and give you a direct connection and the best quality. These are discontinued, but they pop-up on ebay from time to time.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

RE: the Alpine KCA-410C unit--where does this install (trunk? under dash?). The only easy plug-and-play type devices I am vaguely familiar with and might consider (due to the simplicity) are the ones that are the cassette-adapter types but I guess if you want to do it "right" then something like the Alpine is obviously better but I don't have a sense as to how easy/difficult these are to install.

Doug

Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Doug-
You have an XKR with premium audio and CD changer...The PIE ALP-AI-AUX will work for you. It plugs in between the nav unit and power amp and overrides the radio when driven with a signal. I needs a mini-plug to RCA adapter to use with an ipod.

The issues with this are you need to use a well shielded adpater cable, and if your source does not have enough drive level to trigger it reliably, you might need an inexpensive preamp...but you can try it first.

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
RE: the Alpine KCA-410C unit--where does this install (trunk? under dash?). The only easy plug-and-play type devices I am vaguely familiar with and might consider (due to the simplicity) are the ones that are the cassette-adapter types but I guess if you want to do it "right" then something like the Alpine is obviously better but I don't have a sense as to how easy/difficult these are to install.

Doug

Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonyisd3ad
is there any kind of ipod adapter that works with our stock radio? i dont have a premium sound system. just plain jane radio and system

I could not find anything I was happy with so I did this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrols-56937/

18 months now and still works perfectly.

regards

Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i bought the monster icarplay for right now. its only 35 shipped. if it doesnt work well for me than ill go smoggys route.

btw smoggy that is a real nice setup congrats!

The following users liked this post:
smoggyx100 (08-05-2011)