XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts
Default iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment

I wanted to mountan iPodin a location where it is easy to reach, and would be out of sight when not used. Since I gave up smoking 18 years ago, I knew the ashtry would be going unused. Consequently, it seemed like the best location.

I pulled the console and removed the ashtray assembly. The cigarettelighter was removed and reattached to its power source under the console.

The ashtraylayout seemed like a pretty good fit for an iPod.

The iPod is too big to fit flat in the stock ashtray assembly, so Idremeledout some room. Most of the cutting was on the forward end of the ashtray assembly.

Having a $13,000 XK8 makes it easier tocut things up. I might be reluctant to start cutting on $30k car. Either way, this mod isreversable by simply purchasing another ashtray assembly.

On either side of the ashtry pocket, large access ports were dremeled out to fit the iPod power docking connector cordon the bottom; and the audio output cord on the top. These holes need to be wide enough to allow removal of the iPod unit.

The iPod power docking cord is connected to the OEM cigarette lighter under the consule.

Eventually I will installthe cigarette lighter socket inside ofthe armrest cubby so I can use it for a cell phone. A that time,I will probably hard wire the iPod powercord to another switched 12v. power supply.

The finished product. Because the tray bottom was cut up pretty well, I added some very thin black foam backing around and under theiPod unit. This is both cosmetic and provides some insulation for heat and sound.

Stealth install. The iPod is close at hand and easy to use. The installalso allows for quick removal of the iPod unit. The biggestdrawback is the use of a cassette insert to deliver audio to the headunit. My 97 is a Bus-M and does not support the Alpine aux-input for MP3 players. Hey, we'll figure something out later. Gordo

The following users liked this post:
Bad Cattitude (08-24-2013)
Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment

Looks like a good job. You should buy some ashtrays and sell them premodified if there is someinterest.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the compliment, but I think I'll pass on becoming a 'forum vendor'.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

nice little DIY project gordo. You know u could've just gotten a smaller IPOD right? lol

Old 04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

I seriously thought about getting a Nano as I was dremeling out the insides, but by then I was commited to making this one work. I also have a little Shuffle that I could use as well, but they don't have provision for in car recharge. Like yousay... a nice little project. gordo

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Didn't mean any negativity by suggesting you sell it....and certainly wasnt saying become a vendor. Just some people do not have the ability to make things like that is all.

Nice job anyhow.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: FactoryJaguarTech

Didn't mean any negativity by suggesting you sell it....
Relax. I understood what you meant. I was joking about the problems of "forum vendors". I am on another forum,TwinTurbo.Net (300zx),and wehave all sorts of threads about members selling bad homemade products; poor workmanship; latedelivery; stealing designs, etc. After all the RoadRash stuff, maybe I shouldn't joke around 'bout it for awhile.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 PM

lol....no worries.
Hard to get somebodys state of mind on here at times. Way different from a face to face

Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool mod, Gordo.

Sure beats pulling over and changing CD's in boot.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
I wanted to mountan iPodin a location where it is easy to reach, and would be out of sight when not used. Since I gave up smoking 18 years ago, I knew the ashtry would be going unused. Consequently, it seemed like the best location.

I pulled the console and removed the ashtray assembly. The cigarettelighter was removed and reattached to its power source under the console.

The ashtraylayout seemed like a pretty good fit for an iPod.

The iPod is too big to fit flat in the stock ashtray assembly, so Idremeledout some room. Most of the cutting was on the forward end of the ashtray assembly.

Having a $13,000 XK8 makes it easier tocut things up. I might be reluctant to start cutting on $30k car. Either way, this mod isreversable by simply purchasing another ashtray assembly.

On either side of the ashtry pocket, large access ports were dremeled out to fit the iPod power docking connector cordon the bottom; and the audio output cord on the top. These holes need to be wide enough to allow removal of the iPod unit.

The iPod power docking cord is connected to the OEM cigarette lighter under the consule.

Eventually I will installthe cigarette lighter socket inside ofthe armrest cubby so I can use it for a cell phone. A that time,I will probably hard wire the iPod powercord to another switched 12v. power supply.

The finished product. Because the tray bottom was cut up pretty well, I added some very thin black foam backing around and under theiPod unit. This is both cosmetic and provides some insulation for heat and sound.

Stealth install. The iPod is close at hand and easy to use. The installalso allows for quick removal of the iPod unit. The biggestdrawback is the use of a cassette insert to deliver audio to the headunit. My 97 is a Bus-M and does not support the Alpine aux-input for MP3 players. Hey, we'll figure something out later. Gordo
How did you remove the console? I have to replace the cigarette lighter assembly.....Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails  iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment-ipod.install.1.jpg    iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment-ipod.install.2.jpg    iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment-ipod.install.3.jpg    iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment-ipod.install.5.jpg    iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment-ipod.install.6.jpg  

iPod Install in Ashtray Compartment-ipod.install.7.jpg  
Old 08-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by tat2dkjn
How did you remove the console? I have to replace the cigarette lighter assembly.....Thanks in advance!
Refer to the Rev. Sam.

The following users liked this post:
tat2dkjn (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so much! I will try it today!!!