XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Issues after timing chain tensioners/guides replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Issues after timing chain tensioners/guides replaced?

Hi all,
I had a shop replace my timing chain guides and tensioners as a preventative measure. After installation, they put some miles on the car and it started giving them a cylinder misfire code (same cylinder every time, not sure which one). Also has a rough idle and oil pressure drops when they give it RPMs on the road. Been like 4 months and every one is stumped. Already replaced a faulty coil pack--didn't change anything.

Car didn't have these issues before. Has anybody seen this before? They think it might now be a wiring issue and have had multiple other shops step in for advice and help. Trying to see if I can tap you guys for some help as well.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Received 6,338 Likes on 5,523 Posts

What codes are they getting? It would be good to know.
Did they change all the guides primary and secondary?
It's not unusual for people to find remnants of old tensioners in the oil pump pick up in the sump, maybe that's effecting your oil pressure.

The following users liked this post:
EnjoyEverySandwich (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:01 PM

They did (or should have) replaced both primary and secondary tensioners. I don't know the exact code(s). As far as I know the existing tensioners and guides were somehow still intact and didn't look in imminent danger of breaking (no cracks). Would that rule out the possibility of the sump issue? I don't know if wear on the tensioners would produce enough particulate matter to affect the sump and oil pressure (legit question there--I don't know how sensitive it would be).

Old 09-07-2018, 11:14 AM

So just to follow up on this:

As it turns out, the original mechanic just did a handful of stuff wrong when installing the new tensioners and guides. Had car towed to Dana at Upton Foreign Motor in Upton, MA, and he remedied everything. Car is basically fine now.

I would highly recommend Dana at Upton Foreign Motor in Upton, MA. He's been communicative, honest, and efficient. He also did me a huge solid by even taking the car on to begin with. He literally saved my car.

I'm not someone who thinks mechanics are out there to screw me over. I've always had good experiences. And, I don't want to disparage the shop in RI that replaced the tensioners/guides to begin with, so I won't mention them by name here. Mistakes happen, and no one's perfect, but they had the car for 4 months since they started working on it (and still charged me storage fees amounting to an extra $740). Not to mention I had to have the car towed back to MA, leather stained and paint scratched. What a saga...nice guys, but good god was that a bad experience. Took Dana only a week to fix it. I'll be having the seat leather replaced this winter (it's worn anyway), and I'll have to get the compound and Rupes out for the scratches. Lesson learned.

The following 2 users liked this post by EnjoyEverySandwich:
michaelh (09-07-2018), Norri (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Received 6,338 Likes on 5,523 Posts

Good to hear you got it sorted.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

It's good that you got it sorted out but I think that shop in RI definitely earned a good disparaging.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

^^+1
IMO you're being too forgiving.

We entrust work to the professionals where we don't have the expertise/free time to do it ourselves. In return, we expect, unsurprisingly, a level of professionalism together with the implicit ability to actually do the job properly. Taking 4 months to do 2 or 3 days' work and then return with both ongoing problems and additional damage is a serious fail.

Yes, we all make mistakes (we're human and fallible), but the measure of an organisation is how it deals with its mistakes. Charging you extra storage due to an inability to achieve a successful, timely outcome is an insult.

Understand your reluctance to name and shame, but these guys really need to be called out.

Rant over and glad you got things resolved. You'll sleep better with the old plastic cr*p gone.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1. Too many over the line screw ups.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
^^+1
IMO you're being too forgiving.

We entrust work to the professionals where we don't have the expertise/free time to do it ourselves. In return, we expect, unsurprisingly, a level of professionalism together with the implicit ability to actually do the job properly. Taking 4 months to do 2 or 3 days' work and then return with both ongoing problems and additional damage is a serious fail.

Yes, we all make mistakes (we're human and fallible), but the measure of an organisation is how it deals with its mistakes. Charging you extra storage due to an inability to achieve a successful, timely outcome is an insult.

Understand your reluctance to name and shame, but these guys really need to be called out.

Rant over and glad you got things resolved. You'll sleep better with the old plastic cr*p gone.
Totally understand the rant. Believe me, I’ve pondered suing them. It’s been that bad. The issue is that I’m not sure how much of a case I’d have legally.

Basically, I dropped the car off there last December for winter storage. They were supposedly high end British car experts, so I had them inspect it. All’s well there. Then I asked if they knew anything about the tensioner and guide replacement. The head mechanic at the time told me he was leaving, and the new head mechanic would get back to me.

the new guy (let’s call him Louis) then said he wasn’t great with late-model cars but that he’d ask around and see. Not a great sign but said ok, sounds good.

A week goes by and he said it’s being done at a friend’s shop. Seems weird because I didn’t authorize any of that. Let it slide because I figured I was going to have them done anyway. That guy kept it for two weeks and did nothing, so Louis borrowed his equipment and tried to do it in house, and that’s where he messed up. Didn’t charge me a ridiculous amount for a job that big, but car didn’t work. I kept saying “hey, this needs to get figured out soon. I need to pick the car up.”

Basically if I came back at them saying this stuff, they might come back and say:
- you were warned about the lack of expertise and your language implied that we should proceed at your own risk
- you never formally requested that the car leave storage, only expressed need and intent to do so

that said, if I can get a hold of one of the owners, I may bring this stuff up. Just tired of the headache, and I’d prefer to first confront them to see if they try to make it right before burning them (and potential leverage) on public reviews.

For now, if you need to know the shop in order to avoid it, send me a message and I’ll steer you clear.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Alright so just to update two things:

It was specifically the secondary tensioners that were installed incorrectly, so if anyone has the problems described in my first post, look to see how those are on your car!

And secondly: one of the owners of the first shop reached out to me after I called, cut me a check that basically covered all labor, the tow, and the storage fees. As far as I'm concerned, we're square, and they were super courteous and great guys about it after tracking down what happened with my car.

The following 3 users liked this post by EnjoyEverySandwich:
brobin (09-15-2018), cjd777 (09-15-2018), michaelh (09-18-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Ltd
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Debris in oil pan

I just removed handfuls of debris from the oil pan and pickup tube and screen. The upper tensioners, both slippers wore off and one of the guide rails broke at the lower bolt. The rail slipped down into the two chains near the crank.
I was astonished Jaguar didn't do a recall. At least I know all that junk is out and oil pressure should be good. I really recommend cleaning out the pick up screen and pan after replacement of timing components.
Amazing the car had oil pressure.