XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

J-gate and gear knob removal (to repair centre console) XK8/XKR

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default J-gate and gear knob removal (to repair centre console) XK8/XKR

Hi,

My first request for help as I set about working through the list of little jobs to do on my car.

It's a 2003 4.2 XKR (X100). There's a couple of green back lights out on the console (front and rear window heaters on the left and couple of the vent selectors on the right - same row). Switches work fine and the red bit lights up when on, just not the green back lighting.

Plus the sticky DSC and Hazard switches when the unit has been illuminated for a while and warmed up.

Understand need to remove the J-gate surround. Mine's got the silver surround with four (I think) allen keys. So, my questions/advice sought:

1 - Is it a special key to remove, or any allen key of the right size? Looks like the surround has been off before, a couple look a little worn. I hope not worn round and now unable to remove.

2 - The gear knob (chrome and leather R gear knob) won't unscrew. Just seems to turn and turn but no sign of it coming off. Feels like it's turning on something inside, but isn't moving off.

There's a tapered chrome piece below it with three indentations but can't see any screws in there.

Any ideas/hints on how to get the stubborn thing off, without breaking it of course.

3 - Understand may need the bulbs (special Jag part?) and the sticky switches may just need a clean up and tidy rather than a replacement.

I've seen the video on youtube, (sam?) about j-gate removal (but that involved credit cards as the different style to mine) and how to remove the centre console and control pack. Provided everything else is the same on my car I hope that does the trick.

As I work through my list of jobs (got another query about 'beeps' for a separate post) may well be calling out for more help.

Look forward to responses and guidance to this Jag newbie.

Many thanks!

Old 05-06-2016, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

On the flange of the shifter you will loosen that, use a sot cloth to protect it and some type of pliers/channel lock to grab hold then turn.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts

Just use any allen key to undo the surround. Not sure about the gear knob, but there's no need to remove it just to take the centre console out.
The bulbs are ridiculously expensive, so I opted to use non-jaguar ones, either soldered into place, or added into the existing bulb holders. I replaced every one of the bulbs (I figured I didn't want to do it over and over) for about £15, whereas the bulbs from Jag are about £7 or £8 each!!

Old 05-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

The Allen screws are metric so if SAE hex keys were previously used, they could well be a tad knackered.

The following users liked this post:
Sparky77 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 04:25 PM

Thanks, had another look the allen screws. Look in better shape than I first thought, so a good metric (thanks for heads up on that) key should do the trick. Now to see what I've got in the garage.

Thought had to remove the gear knob, if not that's a bonus.

Thanks for the advice on the bulbs. Re. non Jag bulbs, what did you use?

Old 05-09-2016, 02:17 AM
Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts

I mostly used these:

50 pcs Dia.4mm Clear 12V Grain of Wheat Bulbs mini bulb Lighting Kits | eBay

They came from China so took a week/ten days but I couldn't find 4mm diameter bulbs in the UK.

The bulb holders are different in different parts, which is very annoying - the top section (aircon) is easy, because the bulbs are in plastic holders and can be unthreaded and replaced - you'll see what I mean when you get in there.
What is irritating is that the next section down (foglights, tc, etc) has similar bulbs, but they are soldered into their plastic holders. I tried de-soldering and resoldering but the holders just melted. So, I forgot about the holders and just soldered the bulbs to the board.

If the backlighting on the j-gate is out, you need something like these:
CML INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES - 1144800 - FILAMENT LAMP 3MM 12.0V | CPC UK
I think they are also used in the switches for sport mode and cruise control.

Hope that helps!

The following users liked this post:
Sparky77 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 06:03 PM

Getting somewhere on this, as it was nice at the weekend so was able to get down to some work outside on the car. But found the bulb behind the oil pressure has gone, so another to add to the list.

After checking out the switches, some of the little black ones on the board just not springing back at all. Looking at either a replacement switch bank or getting the little black switches and soldering off old/on new (though not soldered for years so a new (used) set of switches sounds best to me).

Question I have, according to my handbook my car ('03 XKR) has the switches with headlamp level control knob on left, left hand seat heater, front/rear fogs, traction control, right seat reater and hazards. The one fitted (see pic) goes traction (DSC), left seat, front fog, rear fog, right seat heater, hazards. Is it a case of probably Jag just fitted a different set of switches, been replaced before or because I've got the HID lights they have auto levelling so no need for that control?

I assume the latter, so just need a like for like replacement. Any input gratefully received.

Found my car has developed the downshift "whoosh" from time to time, have read those threads on gearbox oil/additive changes. This place is proving so handy already as I come to know my new car.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky77
After checking out the switches, some of the little black ones on the board just not springing back at all. Looking at either a replacement switch bank or getting the little black switches and soldering off old/on new (though not soldered for years so a new (used) set of switches sounds best to me).
This thread may give you some ideas https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...urn-off-26013/

Old 04-05-2022, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chemical-based cleaners like Windex and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser products are proven to be effective in removing permanent ink stains.