Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J Gate and Shifter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default J Gate and Shifter Problem

Hello All. Been a while. I'm looking for some thoughts and best thinking if you'll offer it.

It's a pretty straightforward question. I'm hoping the solutions and the directions y'all send me are as well.

When I go to shift my 2002 Jaguar XK8 into drive, only when cold and the engine hasn't been run for the day, the shift feels heavier, a harder lumpier pull, and when the shifter gets to the drive position, the D doesn't light up. If in drive that way, no light at D, she will stay in low-est gear. To get past this, I move the shifter to the left, in the 4 position, and back to D, and viola. The D lights and all is "normal"... When she is warmed up, no such problem... What's up with that???

ps... Just insured and added a 1986 Porsche 928s to the list of projects today - and I am stoked... When it's on the road I plan to tackle the XK8 engine swap I jabbered about here so long ago. Fingers crossed. I have to get the 928 out of "salvage title" first, which can be tricky in NYS.... Wish me luck. Oh and, an 86 Honda Goldwing Aspencade Cafe Racer build is in the works. Yup,,, I'm nutts... All started about 3yrs back with the XK8... anywho

Deep bow and thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience

Last edited by JayJagJay; 11-29-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

JJJ, My 1st thought is intermittent switch for Drive. Switch is inside jgate. Car thinks the shifter is in another (2?) position.

logic doesn't hold up though. Let's think about it.

Car stays in lowest gear.
1) there are no selections that allow you to stay in 1st gear. Lowest selection is 2nd.

2) you can't get to/from 2 selection without tripping every switch from R to 3.

3) can't move from 2 (Lowest gear selection) without tripping 3 & 4 on the way to D.

this kind of kills my hypothesis that car thinks you are in position for 2nd gear.

could you please clarify "stays in lowest gear"? Do you mean it stays in 1st? I doubt it but want to verify.

the fact that D doesn't light until you move back and forth 4 to D, sure codes point to an intermittent D switch.

FWIW I recall reading that the x100s will automatically shift ( internally) from 4 to D if tranny temps rise, or if traveling above 110mph (not exactly sure of mph number, but it was high, way above 100mph as i recall) for something like 30 minutes or x number of miles.

just reread your description. I have no thoughts on shifter movement difficulty, but these cars' tyranny xonnections are 100% electronic isn't it? If so, the j gate movements and its internal friction is all about what's going on inside that jgate shifter assembly right there.

somehow ambient temps are increasing friction. I have no such issue over here in NJ (about 40 miles west of the poster's location, same climate).

when you have a chance please say more about the lowest gear comment. After you think about my intermittent D switch comment, can you add any observations about your sequence of events that may help us focus?

John

Old 12-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Received 694 Likes on 345 Posts

I misread. Retracted suggestion.

Last edited by mhminnich; 12-02-2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Misread description.
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Car stays in lowest gear.
1) there are no selections that allow you to stay in 1st gear. Lowest selection is 2nd.
2) you can't get to/from 2 selection without tripping every switch from R to 3.
3) can't move from 2 (Lowest gear selection) without tripping 3 & 4 on the way to D.
this kind of kills my hypothesis that car thinks you are in position for 2nd gear.
could you please clarify "stays in lowest gear"? Do you mean it stays in 1st? I doubt it but want to verify.
Hey John... Thank you!!!! Sorry for the slow reply back.

Yeah it is strange. When I get in the car (i think this was happening even during the end of the temps of the summer months - so I dont think ambient air temp is such a factor) and the engine is flat cold,,, after starting and letting the idle come down from the initial start (I will usually let her warm up a little bit) I go to shift her into gear and the handle on the shifter, its movement feels different than it had. Its harder, heavier, to move down thru R and N towards D. I land at D and the light does not/will not light up. If I drive it like that (without D illuminated) she will stay in low gear. I cant know that its 1st gear but it certainly feels like 1st and I have not gone anymore than a short distance in that gear. It is apparent that it is geared low and will not shift up..... WHEN I see that the D is dark, I quickly slide the shifter into the 4 position (which lights up perfectly) and back to D and POOOOF,,, D lights up and she will shift thru gears as usual. Like nothings a problem. It must be in the mechanics of the shifter itself, right? Not a tranny problem?

I'm haunted by the problem, really, I have no idea what it could be and thought it would be a big help to see if anyone else had the same or a similar experience... Sure I could just go and open it up BUT dont even know what I would be looking for.
Im ALLLLLL ears...

Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

Have you adjusted the shifter cable? It's under the center console and easily adjusted with either a couple of very large open end wrenches (don't know the size) or a couple of adjustable wrenches. Loosen the nuts. Go a couple turns one way and if that doesn't work go the other. See how it affects the lights on the j-gate. When the lights, light in the proper position, you should be good to go.