XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacked up jack points!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Plumsause, True "A Professional" can do it right, but not all employees at your local tire store are "Professionals" or that careful as verified by the pictures posted on this thread...no offense to the real professionals out there. The Tire Kingdom by me has new "kids" in there every time I go there. The link to that fallen Lotus....that's just a totally unbelievable...certainly not a professional there.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
Plumsause, True "A Professional" can do it right, but not all employees at your local tire store are "Professionals" or that careful as verified by the pictures posted on this thread...no offense to the real professionals out there. The Tire Kingdom by me has new "kids" in there every time I go there. The link to that fallen Lotus....that's just a totally unbelievable...certainly not a professional there.

The point is, reading the rants around here, one would have to surmise one of two things:

1. the members here do not have a profession

or,

2. the members here have never, not even once, made a mistake impacting a client

Neither one sounds very likely.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I have heard that if you miss the correct jack up point you can damage your underbody structure .This thread and inputs prove this right .
In earlier cars things seem easy so, you could find the jack point easily without bending , crumpling just use bumpers to lift your car .

Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce
The point is, reading the rants around here, one would have to surmise one of two things:

1. the members here do not have a profession

or,

2. the members here have never, not even once, made a mistake impacting a client

Neither one sounds very likely. or,

3. the person paid to work on your car just doesn't care about you or it.
Fixed it for you.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I don't want to get into the middle of a pissing match, but I agree with Steve, Xenophobe, AND plumsauce. I worked for the same company for 22 years before setting out on my own and starting my own company last year. The company I worked for was the "biggest" name in their particular industry. However, when it comes to one particular position, I, personally, wouldn't trust those employees. This company uses "inspectors" to test equipment that is installed in their customers' facilities. These "inspectors" are at the bottom of the ladder. Most of them have no experience. They aren't paid very well. There is a lot of turnover. The company uses temporary workers during the busy season over the summer. Sure, the company gives them a little bit of training, but for the most part, these inspectors are just doing this job until something better comes along. Are they "professionals"? I suppose you could call them that. Are they conscientious, thorough, and responsible? Not so much. Some of them are, but many of them just want to do the minimum they can get away with. It isn't unheard of for them to "pencil whip" inspections, which means that they sit at home, fill out the paperwork, fake a customer's signature, and take the rest of the day off. Keep in mind, these are employees of a highly technical company that is the leader in its field!

So, when it comes to mechanics at the big auto repair chains or the Quicky-Lube type places, I assume they have about as much concern for doing a good job as the inspectors at my former company. I'm sure there are many who do a great job, but there are also many who don't give a flip. I would guess that the mechanics at a dealership are more conscientious, but when it comes to car repairs, I'd usually rather do it myself.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
3. the person paid to work on your car just doesn't care about you or it.
Fixed it for you.
Wish you hadn't.

Because the point being attempted is that "not being perfect" is not unique to any vocation in particular at any level of pay.

And it's getting worse every day.

At least the person making minimum wage has an excuse ... the person making $150K ... not so much.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

biggest mistake I've made - design width on a private 2-lane road with a median was 12" too narrow on each lane... cost my client $35,000 to fix it. I expect some errors from my fellow man, however, if I can help avoid them by either reminding them about certain things, or putting arrows on my car, I hope to be somewhat successful.

I know what you meant plumsauce, and I agree with you in your intent to describe this aspect of humanity. I also agree with the other posters regarding the level of training received for some of the very important positions with direct impact to the customer/client.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

The trick is to find a company/person/mechanic who is as passionate about your car as you are.......

Very hard thing to find, probably explains why I get customers willing to travel hundred of miles just so I can give them a service.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had the good fortune over the past 40 years to interact and consult with some of the brightest and most well educated people on the globe. However, when it comes down to the quality and veracity of the work product it has more to do with the person then years of education, training and/or experience. This holds true for the one-person operation to multi national companies, the management of which set the tone for work-product quality and responsibility. XKRacer hit the nail square on the head...find that kind of person to work on your car and don't depend on anything else. Also, expect people to make mistakes and you wont' be disappointed.