XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Jaguar equals

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Good Luck, and I don't think it's something that other forum members should be making fun of, it's a severely frustrating experience that makes you question your own judgment in purchasing it in the first place.
tberg
+1
randyb your frustration came thru loud and clear. I think we all have felt that way at one time at some level or another. Let me echo tberg's sentiment that I hope you come up with a solution so that it finally becomes reliable and a joy rather than a nightmare.

Plenty of good folks here willing to help and provide support, even when we forget the times we were frustrated ourselves. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm coming away from this thread with two things:

Thanks for the Jag Girls pic. (saved of course)
Now looking back, I was a tad harsh. (of further possible use)

Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Researching the XK before I bought mine 12 months ago told me to expect an uncertain maintenance outlay, as opposed to my VW Passat which is my daily drive (which I've had 5 years now and only spent out on replacement tyres - over and above annual servicing - which is phenomenal!!).

So far, I've covered 5,000 miles in that time, and including the 2 new tires I needed to get my XKR thru its MOT, I've recorded spending £800 in that time which I don't think is too bad. That works out to be £0.16 per mile. It is indeed a frustrating car a times as far as their always seems to something needing looking at, but thankfully for me its mainly been little niggly things. Over the next 12 months if my maintenance costs come in under £800 again (around £60 per month) I'll be more than happy, but I know one day in the years to come something bigger WILL show its face, and I'm trying to put what I can aside each month to cover those (probable) future costs.

The difference is, I took the XKR to work today (90 mile round trip) and loved every second even when stuck in traffic, but tomorrow I'll take the VW and be bored stupid!

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (07-19-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys have me frightened . Tomorrow I pick up my first Jag and drive it 17 hours home. Hope I make it. I have been looking forward to this all week. I know what you mean about feeling 10 again. Maybe I need to set up a support network for the drive David.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

When you get home you will want to do it again. Don't be scared, there are a lot of positives within this thread.

Remember, if you fail to maintain something which is man made, then don't be surprised when it too, fails.

Hope this makes you feel a tad better.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

David
Don't worry for every problem you see on this forums there's thousands of other Jags running fine most of the people that frequent the forums are having problems. Go to any other enthusiast forum and you would think every vehicles junk. Drive it home. I drove mine home over 1000 miles after buying it. it'll help you appreciate the car more.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

DNJAA,

In 9 months I have had virtually no un-anticipated issues. The engine runs sweet and smooth and I'm happy every time I get in the car. If you buy a good one with the typical problems fixed you should be fine. I do agree that if you read everything on the Forum you can become a hypocondriac and every time you hear a squeak you want to panic that something awful is about to happen.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnjaa
You guys have me frightened . Tomorrow I pick up my first Jag and drive it 17 hours home. Hope I make it. I have been looking forward to this all week. I know what you mean about feeling 10 again. Maybe I need to set up a support network for the drive David.

I drove mine home for 11 hours last September. I was nervous for 2 of them and smiling for 9 hours and 9 months since! Have a great day! Jac

PS- Randy, hang in there, that beautiful machine sounds like it is in it's 'turnover". At some point a lot of stuff needs to be replaced and once it is, the car gets its second life and can go like it did originally until Round 3 strikes.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Me too

DNJAA,

2 Months ago I made a similar trip home with my XK8 and I had a border and customs to deal with. I made a list of all the Jaguar dealers and their phone numbers on my route home. I had one issue and that was resolved over the phone with a wonderful service technician in Scarborough Maine. Just knowing where I could go if I had an issue help ease my fears. Two months later I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Other than maintenance and fluid changes I haven't spent a nickel. She is a wonderful ride and gathers admirers whenever I stop. The previous owner sold her because of an annoying rattle in the dash that the dealer couldn't solve. With the help of this forum I fixed it before I left the lot. I have to admit I spend much more time tinkering on the jag than I do on my other 3 cars combined, but that's because I want to keep her as perfect as possible and want her to last a long, long time.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacsun
PS- Randy, hang in there, that beautiful machine sounds like it is in it's 'turnover". At some point a lot of stuff needs to be replaced and once it is, the car gets its second life and can go like it did originally until Round 3 strikes.

Good point.

I remember going thru the "75k miles blues" or "100k mile blues" on a few cars, including my XJR. Lots of problems cropping up on top of each other followed by smooth sailing for a good long period afterwards.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jacsun
I agree, that's a really good point. When my wife's BMW 7 hit ~130K miles, we put $9000 into maintenance -- top and front engine seals, hoses, new driveshaft, new brakes all around, rebuilt suspension, ... People thought we were crazy, "Why did you do that? $9K makes a good down payment on a new car." There's the two key words, 'down payment.' For a paltry $9k we have a fantastic car that drives better than the day we bought it. It just passed 170k miles and is still running strong.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I had expected that a car in the $75K plus price range would have used less pieces of breakable plastic than I have found and that things like hydraulic hoses for the convertible top would have been better engineered and that idiot false warning messages due to touchy electrical/computer components would not be so prevalent. Still the basic drivetrain components seem pretty solid.

Doug
The car cost does not necessarily dictate the quality of materials that go into it - especially when referencing the XK8. There are other factors to consider as well. For example, how many units of that particular model are produced - I sure don't see that many of them around my neck of the woods. The $75K buys you prestige, exclusivity and world class design... But I think you already knew that

Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 PM

I need help. I am on the side of the road. Got low coolant light message red car stalled I pulled over and what I have coolant and the overflow tank no problem car will not start and it's not overheated call me 207-322-6204

Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Anybody there

Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts

I have to say I tend to agree with the constant issues! My frustrations seem to be small illusive issues that my Indy mechanic nor Jag dealer can seem to find! I've basicly replaced the entire coolant system, save the pump, and I STILL smell that damn hot coolant smell. I'm really counting on the last replacement, octopus hose, to be the one. Coolant got in a few places we couldn't get to to clean so I'm telling myself that's what I'm smelling and it will be burned off eventually.
I recently found out My 02 was owned by a female hair stylist that NEVER had ANY maintainance carried out on it in her 40k miles of driving, leaving me to deal with a lot of issues. I'm hoping it's about finished surprising me for a while. And actually, some of the things I've had done were not necessarily imperative to driving it. The only thing I'm burning candles for right now is the transmission. It runs as smooth as silk but I'm nearing 100k so....... From what I understand, these usually give NO warning and the damage is final.
But at the end of the day, I l O V E T H I S C A R!! at 18 my first car in 1981 was a 68 XKE. Now that is a way to be broken in to owning a JAGUAR!!!

Last edited by philhef; 07-17-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnjaa
Anybody there
Has anyone answered your distress call? Are you still on the side of the road?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 PM

Ok, I finish my trip for work and jump on a plane to Grand rapids MI. the salesman picks me up in the Jag and we go to GR Auto Gallery to do the paper work. What a toy store.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar equals-img_0665.jpg  
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 PM

I buy the car and away we go. There she is , what a great looking car.So I head on down the road. I need to get from grand Rapids MI to Belfast Me. I think I will drive to London Ontario for the Night.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar equals-img_0668.jpg  
Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 PM

Well I tried to up load more pictures but they failed. I got towed to Main street garage in Port Huron MI. will find out tomorrow if they can help me. Any locals around here? David. Im thinking if the car stalled at highway speeds it might bi the fuel pump. Stranded!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

nc19 Home Page

This is a bummer and no way to get a relationship with your car started!

Maybe one of the officers from the attached JCNA group in Michigan would have knowledge of someone around town there. You could also try a shout out to the midwest group on the forum here- although it may be too late.

My fuel pump died two weeks ago. What are your symptoms? If there is no pressure at the fuel rail then clearly something is keeping fuel from getting to the engine (I am pretty sure you have Schraeder valve under the decorative pastic engine piece on the passenger side toward the back (firewall end) of the engine: they should be able to tell quickly if you have no fuel pressure, low fuel pressure, or a lot of fuel pressure) If you have the owners manual you can see where the fuses and relays are and try swapping those out first. Maybe you get lucky and it is one of those. If it is sputtering it might be a blocked fuel filter. If it is the pump and the local non-jag shop is going to do it give them Gus' write up on the fuel pump replacement and show them the video of how to do it from Reverend Sam. I used Sams push stick (actually AVos' push stick idea) combined with the little plastic disc tool shown in Gus' writeup and had a pretty easy time freeing up the fuel lines beneath the car. It should help them tremendously and save you some labor time hopefully. I hope it turns out OK for you. Jac

Last edited by Jacsun; 07-18-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar equals