XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Jaguar Gremlins are out to get me - pending excorcism

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

MBenvo:

You and anyone else reading this post should go ahead and scout out salvage Jaguars in your general vicinity (on the internet.) You never know when you'll need them--and I promise you'll need some used parts in the future.

In such a large foreign car market as Los Angeles, there's no telling how many XK8's are available for parts--at much reduced prices. In 30 seconds, I found approx. 10 XK8's in San Diego and a number in Fontana. There's a very large salvage operation with all kinds of Jags in Rancho Cordova--east of Sacramento.

Within 200 miles of me, I've found 25+ XK8's of various mileage, not including Coventry West in Atlanta. Good engines often run $2500 and transmissions $1000-1200.

Of course, it only pays to purchase parts from quality salvage operations that treat their parts properly when they're disassembling the cars. Some salvage operations have a minimum $ amount--to make it worth their time to pick, pack and mail out a small part.

There are also many times when you'll need the resources of a quality Jag dealer like a couple that are mentioned on these posts.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Sounds like the tank float is binding and when there is enough weight on the float after the fuel level drops, it drops suddenly.
Interesting... What should I do in this case? Buy a new float? Or is that part of the sender? Is there a way from stopping it from binding? I'm really unfamiliar with how the gauge itself operates.

Please let me know your thoughts.

h20boy - is there a way to search / buy those parts online from gaudin or nelley? it seems like they just show car inventory on their site. let me know, 50% cheaper is quite a lot! I've already purchased about $600 in parts from jagbits... good to know there are cheaper alternatives..

banaman - thats a really good idea - especially for parts such as the seat module... however, driving to past sacramento would cost more in gas - I paid 5.09 a gallon today and it was near $100 bucks to fill the tank.. Even if the minimum amount was $200 - it would still be worth it to purchase from one of those places considering it runs for 350ish used according to jagbits. I wish I could figure out how to look parts up on Gaudin or Nelley's website.

Last edited by mbenvo; 04-20-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the part number for the rubber seal is hjg7778aa according to Willis Jaguar in Des Moines. I have the same issue. I found one for $112.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Nalley doesn't have an interactive site to browse, but Gaudin does. You can order online after you know you have the right part...visually the diagrams are very helpful.

I also recently found the part number search on that very site. Once you enter your year and model, at the bottom of the page is a 'multiple part search', click on that, and if you can't find the part from going through the tree-system and diagrams/links...get the part number from the internet such as jagbits, and type it into the search box. Even old part numbers entered will show the superceded ones...quite handy.

Keep an eye on shipping costs as well, I've found a couple larger items get a hefty shipping quote. Nalley offers parts very close to the prices of Gaudin, but offers free shipping, which sometimes can add up.

Of course, when in doubt about VIN range, always call to make sure you're getting the right part before ordering.

The following users liked this post:
mbenvo (04-21-2011)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Nalley doesn't have an interactive site to browse, but Gaudin does. You can order online after you know you have the right part...visually the diagrams are very helpful.

I also recently found the part number search on that very site. Once you enter your year and model, at the bottom of the page is a 'multiple part search', click on that, and if you can't find the part from going through the tree-system and diagrams/links...get the part number from the internet such as jagbits, and type it into the search box. Even old part numbers entered will show the superceded ones...quite handy.

Keep an eye on shipping costs as well, I've found a couple larger items get a hefty shipping quote. Nalley offers parts very close to the prices of Gaudin, but offers free shipping, which sometimes can add up.

Of course, when in doubt about VIN range, always call to make sure you're getting the right part before ordering.
Thank you so much! I am ordering parts from Gaudin or Nalley now

Today I'm driving the Jag up to my friends shop with the interior completely stripped, and only one seat. He is going to recover the A pillars and the headliner strip with suede. I'll post pics up when it's done! I'm thinking it might clash since it's a darker different color, but it might look good.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Pics of the new headliner and convertible folding problem:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stalled-53595/

Thread on the gas gauge problem with video:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...96/#post341087

Please help if you can!