XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Jaguar XK8 Crank but no start. Probably fuel problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 06:31 PM
|
Question Jaguar XK8 Crank but no start. Probably fuel problem.

Hey guys, my dads 2002 XK8 has been to 3 different mechanics and has not been running for nearly a year. Trying to have a go at it myself now.

It was brought into the first mechanic as the engine would randomly stop mid drive. The mechanic replaced the fuel pump, but it died on the drive home and we needed to bump start the car to get home. It continued being unreliable for a couple of weeks and then didn't start at all.
The latest mechanic got it running after changing the fuel filter, a spark plug and cleaning out the tank. He got it to idling for 30mins, but again it died on the drive home and needed pushed into the garage.

The engine turns over but we have no fuel pressure at all. It runs for a couple of seconds with easy start being sprayed into the intake.

Things I've tried/checked:
New battery and charger, voltage is ok
Got fuel injectors cleaned
Checked fuel pump fuses and relay, all ok
Checked inertia switch, it hadn't triggered but I 'reset' it anyway
Crank sensor seems ok as the RPM gauge is working

I don't think I hear the fuel pump when I try to start the car, but I'm not certain. I could hear it clearly when I jumped the relay pins.

If anyone has advice it would be much appreciated,
Thank you!

Old 09-14-2024 | 06:59 PM

A 2002 XK8 is a 4.0 in North America but ROW might be the 4.2 liter car?

What car is this?

4.0 has a different pump than the 4.2.(completely different pump drives)

The following users liked this post:
RandyIsntMyName (09-15-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 07:24 PM
|

My mistake, its a 1999 car. Vin ends 042555

Old 09-15-2024 | 02:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RandyIsntMyName
I don't think I hear the fuel pump when I try to start the car, but I'm not certain. I could hear it clearly when I jumped the relay pins.
The fuel pump should run briefly when you first turn the ignition on - if it isn't doing that you need to find out why. You could try swapping the relay for a known good one and see what happens and take it from there as a starting point (no pun intended). Lots of info here on Gus' site if you haven't already seen it:-

Jaguar 1999 XK8 Voltage Test to Fuel Pump

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
RandyIsntMyName (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 08:26 PM
|

Thanks for the advice. I checked again and fuel pump has voltage and the pump is triggering when I turn on the ignition (I couldnt hear from the cabin).

I have found fuel dripping from under the engine, but I cant locate the source. I think it is pooling somewhere before it falls as it takes a few cycles until it appears.

Any common failure points?

Old 09-19-2024 | 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RandyIsntMyName
Thanks for the advice. I checked again and fuel pump has voltage and the pump is triggering when I turn on the ignition (I couldnt hear from the cabin).

I have found fuel dripping from under the engine, but I cant locate the source. I think it is pooling somewhere before it falls as it takes a few cycles until it appears.

Any common failure points?
Other random thing you could check - the relay could be having a thermal failure. Works fine when cold, fails when hot. It's a stretch, but you can test by replacing the relay with a new one.

Fuel puddle under the engine could be a failing o-ring at the regulator. My limited experience with fuel leaks on mine is that they're easy to spot because the fuel is under so much pressure. The lines come from the bottom of the tank, they run along the left side of the car, they transform into flexible lines when they enter the engine bay, they have quick disconnects at the fuel rail on the left side of the engine. From there to the regulator and then the injectors. I'd think the only places that could possibly result in an under-vehicle leak would be the quick disconnects (left side) or where the regulator connects to the rail (right side). Seems unlikely, but that's where I'd look, while the car is running.