XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Jaguar xk8 & xkr custom convertible tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022 | 10:26 AM
|
Default Jaguar xk8 & xkr custom convertible tonneau cover

hello,

i have spoken with chris at mina gallery and am purchasing one of these hard shell tonneau covers for XKRFACE.
it comes as a primer condition; i have not decided what to cover it with...wrap, paint, leather, fabric..etc.
i would greatly like to hear from anyone who has one of these covers from mina gallery as to how well you like or dislike it..
any pro's or con's to it and the usage of....please..

many thanks to any and all input/ thoughts,

max & XKRFACE

The following users liked this post:
TedV (02-14-2022)
Old 02-13-2022 | 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaxTorq
hello,

i have spoken with chris at mina gallery and am purchasing one of these hard shell tonneau covers for XKRFACE.
it comes as a primer condition; i have not decided what to cover it with...wrap, paint, leather, fabric..etc.
i would greatly like to hear from anyone who has one of these covers from mina gallery as to how well you like or dislike it..
any pro's or con's to it and the usage of....please..

many thanks to any and all input/ thoughts,

max & XKRFACE
I would LOVE one of these... I'm excited for ya! Send some pictures once you're more into the process, would be cool. Maybe, The Mina folks will give ya a bit off your next purchase or something, if people act off your adventure!? They should, doggone-it...

The following 3 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
MaxTorq (02-13-2022), professor2 (02-15-2022), TedV (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022 | 08:39 AM
Default Have you think about Wrapping

Any good shop could do a perfect wrapping and if I was you my first pick would be Carbon fiber wrapping.

The following users liked this post:
professor2 (02-15-2022)
Old 02-21-2022 | 08:05 AM
Default Look for a good wrapping shop or DIY YouTube

Www.wrapshopinc.com
see the results.

you could à a chrome, glossy black or any finish you want but carbon fiber is beautiful

Old 02-21-2022 | 08:20 AM

Do you have pictures of the XKR? The link to wrapshopinc.com only goes to their gallery which doesn't have pictures of an XKR.

Old 02-21-2022 | 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

I have had several panels under the hood of my XK "Hydrographically" covered in a carbon fiber finish. Not as expensive as a wrap, and likely less durable for a tonneau, but looks good on unused panels.

Old 03-05-2022 | 06:11 PM
|

update:
the cover arrived yesterday...finally...
It is not what i was expecting. It is not what i know of as a true "FRP" but rather some thin fiberglass and something like a matte/flat gel coat primer. The underside is rough fiberglass with some sanding/smoothing to be done and a felt of some kind will need to be done to prevent damage/blistering or snagging of anything that will reside underneath. the two panel joint in the center does not come as a tongue and groove/overlap rather as two flush ends to butt up to each other and a couple of small holes drilled into each for some kind of hardware to connect the two. I have not received the hardware kit yet so i am waiting to see... There was not any type of paperwork/instructions...again, wait and see... it did come with a male seatbelt buckle end attached to a bungee strap by a small, and too long screw ...it is too short and a bit cheese to me.
Of a concern to me are the edges all the way around; they are not finished and there is not a protective/anti-blister strip of any kind. It appears I will have to come up with something to address this.
Although it is less expensive than other choices I do think it is a little over priced as it is presented by mina. Some inexpensive refining and clarity at mina galley would make a big difference.
We have test fitted it today and I have determined to send it back.

youtube O&DR Modural's video has some pics of this cover from mina gallery in a video

I hope this does not come across as too critical more over, I hope some of you find it useful info.

Kind regards,

Max, XKRFACE (X100) & The TRAMP (X350)

The following 6 users liked this post by MaxTorq:
Abby's Guy (03-14-2022), cjd777 (03-05-2022), DavidYau (03-05-2022), dfbender (03-06-2022), rande (09-25-2023), sklimii (03-06-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-2022 | 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaxTorq
update:
the cover arrived yesterday...finally...
It is not what i was expecting. It is not what i know of as a true "FRP" but rather some thin fiberglass and something like a matte/flat gel coat primer. The underside is rough fiberglass with some sanding/smoothing to be done and a felt of some kind will need to be done to prevent damage/blistering or snagging of anything that will reside underneath. the two panel joint in the center does not come as a tongue and groove/overlap rather as two flush ends to butt up to each other and a couple of small holes drilled into each for some kind of hardware to connect the two. I have not received the hardware kit yet so i am waiting to see... There was not any type of paperwork/instructions...again, wait and see... it did come with a male seatbelt buckle end attached to a bungee strap by a small, and too long screw ...it is too short and a bit cheese to me.
Of a concern to me are the edges all the way around; they are not finished and there is not a protective/anti-blister strip of any kind. It appears I will have to come up with something to address this.
Although it is less expensive than other choices I do think it is a little over priced as it is presented by mina. Some inexpensive refining and clarity at mina galley would make a big difference.
We have test fitted it today and I have determined to send it back.

youtube O&DR Modural's video has some pics of this cover from mina gallery in a video

I hope this does not come across as too critical more over, I hope some of you find it useful info.

Kind regards,

Max, XKRFACE (X100) & The TRAMP (X350)
What was the final price?

Old 03-06-2022 | 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
I have had several panels under the hood of my XK "Hydrographically" covered in a carbon fiber finish. Not as expensive as a wrap, and likely less durable for a tonneau, but looks good on unused panels.
can you give us some photos? Where did you have them done?

Old 03-09-2022 | 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dfbender
can you give us some photos? Where did you have them done?
Hopefully these came thru. There is a local guy here in S.W. Fla who did this. He also powder coated the bumpers for the little Nash.

The 'bronze' carbon fiber look is a bit brighter in this shot.

Better depiction of the colour on the 4 panels Hydrographically coated.

coated some bumpers for me. Does great Work.

Old 03-09-2022 | 07:31 PM

Yes, I'd sure like to know the delivered price and see some photos of the tonneau too.