XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Jaguar XKR, to buy an XKR, need your help . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XKR, to buy an XKR, need your help . . .

Hi,

Jaguar XKR, to buy an XKR, need your help . . .

Looking forward to the great give & take usually afforded forums, such as this one . . .

I am going to buy a Jaguar XKR, 2003 or newer, up to 2008.

I welcome any thoughts regarding these cars. Such as problems, issues, things to be aware of, regarding drive train, electrical, brakes, suspension, and like issues.

I almost always buy the car in question, without "seeing" the car in person (because of distance). I've never, so far, been burned by not actually seeing the car in person. I've bought five cars this way, and all have been as good, or better than expected.

Meaning I buy based on my gut feeling of seller, et cetera. Moreover, I hire a local mechanic to do a point check on various aspects of the car.

All that said, I also do a request, such as this one to you. To ferret out any common issues the car line may have. Usually, there are the good, bad, and indifferent conditions that are common to the line. That's what I need from you.

Such knowledge will help me when talking to the seller, and getting mechanical information from the mechanic. Your help, will help me, when asking the mechanic "certain" specifics to dig into. Remember, this will all be done by phone.

I generally buy western and southern cars, such as Texas, Florida, and so forth. I live in Wisconsin, so you understand the predilection to do as stated above.

I know it is helpful that XK's and XKR's are aluminum, so that does help, as to maybe a snow car.

I will appreciate anything you know about the above, to help me out, before making a spend on one.

Thanking you in advance . . .

Jas

Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Welcome to the forum but you need to do a little more research.

The XK8/R run from '97 through '06 was a steel body car. The change to aluminum was with the '07 MY.

By '03, Jaguar had resolved almost all of the engineered-in problems except for the convertible top latch hose issue. The got resolved with a complete redesign for the '07 MY.

By '03, except for the convertible hydraulic hose, the XK8/R was about as reliable as any other high end car. Therefore the critical issues are care and condition.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

test point,

appreciate the reply. One reason I posted the post, is to learn from experienced individuals, such as yourself.

Jas

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,993 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Welcome...

Go to the second thread, 'Frequently asked Questions sticky' in this XK8/XKR section. At the very beginning of the post are links to two other threads on things for new buyers to look for.

After looking that over, come back with your specific questions.

I live in VA and purchased mine in Mississippi...it worked out great for me....but a good inspection is key.