XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Jamjax New 2003 XKR Photos of the 160MPH Kitty

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Malbec;

That is a super color!!! Just gorgeous.

I haven't seen one that color before.

You didn't take that today did you? It would have already been dark by the time you posted it.

Is that an original color?

What do they call it?

With a tan interior I presume....one of my all time favorite combinations.

My University cars a '49 TC, a '59 XK 150, a '74 BMW 2002, and my still owned '60 MGA 1600 were all red. Not to mention a matching number of Red Headed girl friends....wish I still had the XK 150 of course...among other things.

Yep, convertibles are always heavier than coupe/hard tops, they have more reinforcement bracing to make up for the loss of rigidity of the top.

Counter intuitive isn't it?

I like my recessed grill.

May remove the 'two teeth' and try to find something like the old 'E' Type bar with the Jaguar in the center of it.

Chrome surrounds would have been nice as would the quad pipes but these look pretty purposeful.

Yeah I think my wheels are silver too and have already ordered new Green Silver center caps to replace mine that are pretty dinged up.

They will go with my Italian Super Model wife's eyes too, they get greener the madder she gets....gives me the signal to run.

Your's are red of course but are all bonnet/hood medallions green, as your's appears to be?

Thanks for the Vin info...I was pretty sure it was an early '04 but I didn't want to mention it to the seller as I already had a pretty good price on it....

Does the speed limiter switch turn off the 155mph limiter? Or is it for something much lower?

No I was in full auto when I did 160mph but someone on the forum mentioned that a way to beat the 155mph limiter might be to try it in 5th gear.

Did you notice I changed my signature right away when you corrected me about the Montreal vs. the Detroit wheels?

thanks again for all of the info.

cheers,

jj

Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Hi again, it's Radiance Red with Cashmere interior.
The centre hubs were green but I changed them to red. Best way to remove them is with a suction cup.....like on childrens arrows in a bow and arrow set.
Also I didn't like the amber reflectors and turn indicator. I changed the rear reflectors to red...avail from Jag dealer. And the front to clear, bought online as direct replacement. They are very easy to remove..2 lugs behind. I initially bought some from Adamesh but they were flat and had to be stuck onto original.
Didn't like those and was glad to find exact copy in clear, but sorry can't remember where I got them.
Speed limiter can be set to any upper limit, I guess so you don't break the law. It can be overridden by kick down but sounds dangerous to me, I've never used it.
I have adaptive cruise, which is a nightmare. It can put the brakes on when you least expect it !!
Enjoy your toy !

Last edited by malbec; 11-24-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

nice looking car, and background.

malbec, that's a beautiful shade of red on yours.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Don't want to hijack the thread, but since you like the colour here's the whole kitty....

Name:  xkr2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  98.1 KB

Old 11-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 192 Likes on 164 Posts

the picasa site worked. great pics.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Malbec;

Wow!, Wow!, Wow!

Spectacular!

Thank you for the photo.

Seeing your clear marker and side lights really makes me want to change mine as well.

Let me know if you remember where you found them.

Good to know that I won't be missing the adaptive cruise control....though I suspect the whole point of the brakes coming on is when you least expect it.

I was a bit surprised to discover that mine didn't have the Park Distance Warning system in the rear as I thought I had read somewhere that was standard in '03.

But like the E-Type the nose is so long I wish they had it for the front as well since the fall away of the cowl is so sharp you can't see where the front end is way out there.

I was a bit disappointed that you can't really see the hood louvers/vents when you are driving. I used to like that with the E-Type.

I am not sure now about the color of my wheels since your's look so blindingly silver.

Does the '05 mesh grill fit in an '03-'04 nose?

I like the solid piece but would prefer to mount it inboard of the opening like on the earlier models but without the 'two front teeth' or maybe those are fangs since it is a jaguar.

Thanks to OhioXK and MRomanik for liking mine.

cheers,

jj

Old 11-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
Don't want to hijack the thread, but since you like the colour here's the whole kitty....

I've got to jump in here as well and say I really like this shade of red; the darker red is much more classy than the bright "arrest me" red.

Mark

Old 11-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

malbec, thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware that this shade of red was offered. do you know what model year it became available?

jamjax, I've seen other threads on this forum where members have detailed the steps involved in swapping grills betwen the various model years. I believe someone installed a recessed grill as you've described.

The following users liked this post:
jamjax (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 07:38 PM

The colour code is CHB Radiance 2004.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 PM

Forgot to thank Mjlaris for liking my car earlier.

Thanks for the tip Ohio XK.

Doesn't seem like anyone has done the E Type grill cross bar in a modern XK yet....and I would need a green medallion for the center of it instead of the typical Red one.

Looks like I might have to head back over to England to have XK Racer work on my front end.

I followed the links in the Grill Thread to this Eagle E-Type website and it would seem they have copied Malbec's red color on their red Speedster at the bottom of the page:

Eagle Speedster / Images & Media

Malbec is going to love this.

cheers,

jj

Old 11-25-2011, 01:29 AM

Hi JamJax, I already had that page as a favourite !
If I ever win the lottery I will get one, only £235,000.
I had a 3.8 E-Type coupe in my youth, you are right about the gills would be nice to be able to see them on the XKR.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

The style of 'white' side markers can be bought from Chris at XKZ Zahran based here in the UK, you have 2 choices, you either buy just the lenses and fit them yourself to your original backs, or, Chris will make a set up for you.
I often supply him the orange ones as I loose them completely on my cars and often have a load hanging around

Nice cars by the way

jamjax (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 02:36 AM

Thanks Racer/Tony good tip on the side markers.

I think they are supposed to be white in France anyway.

You are the right person to ask if the grill from an '05 will fit in an '03 set back the same distance as the original '03 grills are?

Afraid since I live in a fog bank for 3-4 months out of the year I am going to keep my fog lights.

Also is there a way to adjust the headlights on an auto-adjusting car so that they are a bit further up....mine seems to cut off the right side really too low now.

I am going to have to get the backing plates to switch them to the Euro left side setting but this is nearly useless right now if you are driving over 40mph.

cheers and as always thanks for the good info,

jj

Old 11-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member

Side markers only came in orange and red, Jaguar never made a white side marker, hence the huge prices for them in the early days, a full set would cost you £500 from certain over priced establishments!

The grille will fit behind no problem, you will have to cut your over riders off and devise a way of fitting the grille in place but very doable

jamjax (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 03:23 AM

Thanks again Racer.

Have you seen anyone do something like this for an XK?

1966 E-Type Series 1 4.2 Roadster for sale

I refer to the cross member in the cowl opening.

My Italian Super Model should have told me to buy that car....but that price is right up there with the 30 times the cost of my college car:

Voiture occasion JAGUAR XK150 (4085371-5533)

Maybe I should just put an S type grill on the front of my XK to remind me of the XK150......just kidding....sick.

cheers,

jj

Old 11-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

The closest/cheapest you might get is something like I did on this XK

Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
The closest/cheapest you might get is something like I did on this XK

Where did you get, or how did you do, that grill? Very clsssy.

Mark

Old 11-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Thats an easy question to answer... I made it

Using a standard grille you can then buy a straker from Jaguar that fit in the X150 XK front grilles (plastic), about £75 ($115), you then need to machine/grind out the rear of the straker centre section until you get a flush fit to your grille, there are 4 round pins connected along the length, you can screw on 6mm nuts to hold the straker on or you need to get a hold of the correct fastenings which is a pressed steel item, I don't like using them as they go rusty and prefer to use the 6mm stainless flange nuts.

Getting the straker near to the centre of the grille can be a challenge as you are governed by the 4 pins and the grille weave, you have to adopt the idea of "close enough is good enough" otherwise it means cutting off the pins and bonding the thing in place, it all gets rather messy.

jamjax (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
buy a straker from Jaguar that fit in the X150 XK front grilles (plastic), about £75 ($115)
Do you know the Jag part number? I'm getting ready to do the grill on my 2002 XKR. I bought a Mina Gallery SS mesh grill but I like the look with the striker there. I think I'll give it a go. Thanks,

Mark

Old 11-25-2011, 07:52 AM

Hey Racer you are a fountain of knowledge on this stuff.

That looks great with the double mesh grill.

I think the '03 would be set back further in the cowl if you stick to the original location which for some reason I prefer over the newer 'flush' style.

When you say use a standard grill what year are you talking about?

And didn't you say you need to do some kind of backing support if you remove the '03-'04 Fangs? (I have to remember I actually have an '04 according to the Vin #)

Hey Mjlaris I think I can safely call you a 'Copy Cat-Kitty'.
But in this instance I think you are going to beat me to the punch and then I will be copying you and Racer.

Besides as Dean Neidorf, in one of his lectures at College, said "Good ideas are public property".

cheers,

jj

Quick Reply: Jamjax New 2003 XKR Photos of the 160MPH Kitty