XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Jezebel the XK8 stalls idling and in reverse, but no Engine Stall light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jezebel the XK8 stalls idling and in reverse, but no Engine Stall light

I call my 99 XK8 Jezebel because she's beautiful, high maintenance, and nothing but trouble.

Lately I've been having a host of persistent problems with Jez that are really affecting my driving pleasure. I recently replaced the plugs and one coil based on diagnostic codes reading. Since then the engine is running more smoothly, but over the past few days the motor has been stalling at odd moments, usually when idling or, more commonly, when the car is in reverse such as when maneuvering into a parking place. However, I have never had an "engine stall" warning light and the car starts easily in the morning and, so far, after each stall. Check engine light has also been on for a while--it cleared after I replaced the plugs but came back after a few miles- occasionally I get a "restricted performance" read or "ABS", although these are erratic and don't stay on. There's also a persistent "bulb failure" warning on a rear turn signal when my foot is on the brake but not otherwise. ,

Car has 100k miles, and the electronics have been a problem since I purchased her. It occurred to me that the fuel pump might be failing, but there has been no sign of this on the diagnostic. That said, since my electronics are erratic, I'm not certain I can trust the warning indicators.

I'm taking her into the dealer on Monday to replace the steering column--can't do this myself--and am wondering what additional problems I might be facing based on the above symptoms. I'd rather know going in what else needs to be done and whether I could fix things myself than rely on what the dealer tells me.

Dealer keeps trying to persuade me to replace the engine because of excessive blowback--Nicosil coating deterioration. I may do this at some point down the road, but I'm not convinced that the problem needs immediate attention, or that her current issues are caused by it. Am I missing something here?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Just a few semi-educated guesses:

1. The stalling may be due to a dirty throttle body. Carbon gunk builds up in the throat of the throttle body, around the butterfly. In certain instances, the gunk makes the butterfly stick and a stall can result. Buy some CRC Throttle Body cleaner, search out the procedure on this forum and clean it up.

2. The rear bulb failure message is due to a inadequate ground in the original style tail lights. You have three options- a) live with it, b) replace the original tail lights with the later (2002 and later, I believe) style tail lights (complicated, but doable and updates the look of the car), and c) search the forum...there's a workaround that strengthens the ground connection for your original tail lights and will solve the problem.

A question for you: What makes the dealer say you have "excessive blowback?"

The following users liked this post:
Stephen Pattison (12-10-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

All good advice from The Coupe. I would add to clean your valve cover breathers. Here is a document that has all the information: DiY_Document_Clean_MAFS.pdf

Also erratic electronics are a sign of a weak battery in this car. The car may start fine, but the voltage drops too low during starting and causes the cars computers to hiccup. If the battery voltage after sitting overnight is under 12.4 volts, you should replace the battery, or else have it load tested for free at Advance Auto/Autozone.

Also, there there very few cars still on the road that are simply marginal due to nikasil problems. Unless your dealer ran a proper test procedure on your car, I would be skeptical of his claim.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Maintenance

[QUOTE=Stephen Pattison;635283] That said, since my electronics are erratic, I'm not certain I can trust the warning indicators.
/QUOTE]

I might suggest that the electronics are fine and you should address the issues they are warning you about. Restricted Performance will come on - and go off - depending on what is happening with your engine. ABS warnings are intermittant in their nature, that's often the way the unit fails. Simply see about fixing the unit.

Coils are wear items, after 100K miles and 14 years replacing them is more of an expectation, and not a failure.

Your stalling problem is doubtless an easy fix, per the other suggestions here.

Replacing the engine (and the steering column even more so) are extreme and unusual suggestions from your dealer. Are you sure your confidence is well placed?

I think what you have is simply an older, high mileage car with common maintenance issues for it's era. Tackle them one by one and you'll be able to enjoy your car with confidence.

The following users liked this post:
Stephen Pattison (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the advice. Up to now I've been pleased w/the dealer, although his parts prices are high so I buy my own on line and bring them in. He's replacing the steering rack, which is about to fail--increasing grinding when turning. Less persuaded by reports of excessive blow-by--have driven the car 12,000 miles over the last year and while have noted some oil in the air filter, it wasn't excessive and didn't notice anything unusual when replacing the coils, plugs, and gasket seals recently. Just have resigned myself that she requires a lot of attention like a lot of us who are getting older.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Great advice, thanks. Checked the battery and it registered 12.1 while cold, quickly jumped to normal after turned over. Haven't had any other problems w/ the battery since I bought her, so wonder if it makes sense to go ahead and replace it yet?
Will follow your advice and clean the valve cover breathers and see if that makes a difference.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Pattison
Great advice, thanks. Checked the battery and it registered 12.1 while cold, quickly jumped to normal after turned over. Haven't had any other problems w/ the battery since I bought her, so wonder if it makes sense to go ahead and replace it yet?
Will follow your advice and clean the valve cover breathers and see if that makes a difference.
The low battery could very well be causing the sporadic ABS fail, and could cause more anomalies as it gets worse. I would recommend replacement.

Also, do you know if the secondary tensioners were upgraded on your car? You at a very high risk age and mileage if this has not been done.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Concerning the blow-back, the dealer did some tests on her when I brought her in for inspection a year ago and has been on my case ever since about blow-back ever since. He reported excessive oil in the air filter, but other than an occasional whiff of oil from the engine after it's been running a while, I haven't noticed anything else that would point to this being a problem, and now that I've replaced the gaskets, plugs, and one misfiring coil, she seems to be running pretty well. Did a lot of research on the problem w/Nikasil after joining the forum, and have just about concluded that it may be a red herring. Should I be looking for other warning signs?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Pattison
Concerning the blow-back, the dealer did some tests on her when I brought her in for inspection a year ago and has been on my case ever since about blow-back ever since. He reported excessive oil in the air filter, but other than an occasional whiff of oil from the engine after it's been running a while, I haven't noticed anything else that would point to this being a problem, and now that I've replaced the gaskets, plugs, and one misfiring coil, she seems to be running pretty well. Did a lot of research on the problem w/Nikasil after joining the forum, and have just about concluded that it may be a red herring. Should I be looking for other warning signs?
If it is otherwise running good I would not be too worried about the Nikasil. The problem was fuel related (too much sulphur) and todays fuels do not have the issue. Are you burning much oil?

Excessive oil in the air filter could also be due to a missing filter panel (oil separator) under the breather in the valve cover. There were several instances of that reported on the forum.

On the other hand, the secondary tensioners must be addressed very soon on your car if they have not been. The plastic tensioners disintegrate, causing the chain to lose tension. Since this is an interference engine, a slip of the chain will cause a collsion between the pistons and valves...which is very costly damage. This is widely documented on this forum and elsewhere.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Have a look here regarding oil in the air filter and one possible cause:

Oil in the Airbox - Might be an easier fix than you think FAQ