XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Just had my first ride in an XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just had my first ride in an XKR

Hi All,

I took my dream of owing an XKR a step further today by test driving one. I thought I'd catch my candid thoughts right away.

Vital statistics - 2004 registered (2005MY), Black (slightly metallic) with Bone leather. Currently done about 38,000 miles (61,000 kms).

This was it, 2 years ago in an old online advertisement - not the current seller. 2004 Jaguar XKR 4.2 Super Charged.

First impressions - My that is a big grin! Lots of grill there but I could always powder coat that black if I feel the need later on.

Up closer - Oh dear, that paint needs some attention. A number of thin scratches showing white undercoat - the sort of thing a good detailer might be able to hide??? Paint swirls all over - a good detailer can surely polish those out? No stone chips on nose or hood.

Interior - Hard to fault. A little wear around the steering wheel - to be expected.

Engine sound - I know to expect it to be quiet. I would see an X-Pipe and removal of the centre muffler on the horizon.

Ride - I have been driving the same big 1998 Australian Ford sedan for nearly 10 years - this XKR just feels wrong. Its like changing girlfriends - the responses are different and nothing is in quite the right place. I would like to get it fully checked out at an authorised dealer to make sure all suspension is as it should be.

Power/Torque - No expert here, but I guess I am a torque guy. My old 4L straight-6 Ford churns out 370 nm vs the XKR's 408 nm, so I am not as blown away as I thought I might be. Mind you I am so nervous about wrecking this car or picking up a ticket that I am not really enjoying myself. My son is with me and reports feeling himself thrown back in to his seat. This is a good thing.

Overall? I am unexpectedly ambivalent. Maybe that's the wisdom of age. I am going to sleep on it a few nights. A full pre-purchase inspection by the local Jag dealer and advice of a detailer would be a must, as well as a wee chat with my accountant.

All comments welcome.

Regards
Cadmium

Last edited by cadmium; 04-22-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Price is the big one plus it's only done 4K km in two years.
I'm not surprised it feels different from the Ford - there'd be something seriously wrong if it didn't.
Black is the worst colour for showing blemishes. I've only had one black car and vowed never again. Also I believe you get a fair bit of sun and black's not funny then.
The only unease I have with mine is it seems disproportionately large to drive but I think that's partly being low down in a RHD car on LHD roads.
My two penneth.

The following users liked this post:
cadmium (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmium
Engine sound - I know to expect it to be quiet. I would see an X-Pipe and removal of the centre muffler on the horizon.
One of the main mods to these cars, factory fit just too quiet. Lots of posts on suggestions.

so I am not as blown away as I thought I might be.
If you take it for another test drive - make sure the sport switch, in front of the J-gate gear selector, is in the up position, on and lit red!
That will turn it into the beast it can be

cadmium (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Stumpy

If you take it for another test drive - make sure the sport switch, in front of the J-gate gear selector, is in the up position, on and lit red!
That will turn it into the beast it can be

Very true. Also the computer in these cars learns your driving style to an extent. If you drive aggressvely for a while, it will adapt and start behaving more aggresively, LIkewise if if drive it gently, it will become more of a pussycat.

It is common for the throttle cable to stretch and need a minor adjustment to reach full throttle.

A supercharger pulley swap can also up the beastiness quotient.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-22-2012 at 07:57 AM.
cadmium (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Price is the big one plus it's only done 4K km in two years.
I'm not surprised it feels different from the Ford - there'd be something seriously wrong if it didn't.
Black is the worst colour for showing blemishes. I've only had one black car and vowed never again. Also I believe you get a fair bit of sun and black's not funny then.
The only unease I have with mine is it seems disproportionately large to drive but I think that's partly being low down in a RHD car on LHD roads.
My two penneth.
Thanks steveinfrance for your two penneth! Price will be high so that tempers my enthusiasm. Yes, if I want to the same feel as in my 14 year old Ford, I might as well keep it. A few hours on now, I realise I will do well to take it for another drive on my own, without my son there, so I can just focus on the car.

...If you take it for another test drive - make sure the sport switch, in front of the J-gate gear selector, is in the up position, on and lit red! That will turn it into the beast it can be
Great Stumpy! That is what I will do. I wanted more beast but I was afraid to unleash it. I was keen to avoid fishtailing/power-oversteer in an unfamiliar car so I left sports mode off during the test drive. I will do more research into what it offers.

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Very true. Also the computer in these cars learns your driving style to an extent. If you drive aggressvely for a while, it will adapt and start behaving more aggresively, LIkewise if if drive it gently, it will become more of a pussycat.

It is common for the throttle cable to stretch and need a minor adjustment to reach full throttle.

A supercharger pulley swap can also up the beastiness quotient.
Thanks also for your advice WhiteXKR! I didn't even get to WOT (see fears above) so short-changed myself a bit.

Last edited by cadmium; 04-22-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Include comments from WhiteXKR
Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What actually does the sports switch do to make things... well... sportier?

regards

david

Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by david i
What actually does the sports switch do to make things... well... sportier?

regards

david
It alters the transmission shift points for more agressive shifting.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Also, you cannot really begin see what this car can do until you get it out on the highway and try some passing maneuvers.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks also for your advice WhiteXKR! I didn't even get to WOT (see fears above) so short-changed myself a bit.
Oh! you've got to kick down in sport mode. It won't fishtail.
Find yourself a 2km straight and give it WOT-ho.
You will run out of road quickly though.
+1 on WhiteXKR re overtaking, it is a very dominating car, but maybe wait 'til you've bought one (and you will).
My main reservation is the paintwork, beauty makes the beast, but only you can decide on that.
Good Luck

Last edited by steveinfrance; 04-22-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Having owned both a 97 XK8 and, now, a 2000 XKR, I can't emphasize how important it is to put the gas pedal ALL THE WAY DOWN to extract the performance that these cars are capable of.

Gentle application of the pedal will only result in lackluster performance, like a ordinary sedan.

cadmium (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 02:41 PM

I now see my mistake.

I had misunderstood the role of the sports button, thinking it would also switch off traction control.

Having recently watched those Corvettes crash in the https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...96/#post498604 thread, I was keen not to find myself in a similar situation.

A second drive is in order!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 PM

I now see my mistake.

I had misunderstood the role of the sports button, thinking it would also switch off traction control.
No there is a seperate button for that, over on the centre/air con panel - marked DSC. It is quite a sophisticated system on the 4.2 version. For safety default is on - whenever the ignition key is removed.

Interesting read. See post #5 in this thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uestion-71520/

Also worth using the left hand/manual side of the J-gate. Enjoy

cadmium (04-22-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Remember that if you're not in 'sport' mode, the car starts out in second gear, not first.

The following 2 users liked this post by RJag:
cadmium (04-23-2012), steveinfrance (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJag
Remember that if you're not in 'sport' mode, the car starts out in second gear, not first.
Well I'll be - is that right ? I've been counting gear changes and thought there was one short!!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Smile

I copied this from a post I once read. About the XK8 then to XKR

The consistent and seamless delivery of power, the quiet nature of the exhaust note and a suspension set up biased to comfort, all contribute to a velvety and sensorialy subdued transition from zero to sixty mph in your claimed 6.5 earth seconds.

Substitute '8' for an 'R' however, and despite the fact we are still in a 5 star hotel on wheels, you may on demand, enter a world of torque and fury that only ends when you run out of road, petrol or *****. *

*Can also be overridden by a sense of self preservation and/or common sense

Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Brilliant and well written.

I copied this from a post I once read. About the XK8 then to XKR

The consistent and seamless delivery of power, the quiet nature of the exhaust note and a suspension set up biased to comfort, all contribute to a velvety and sensorialy subdued transition from zero to sixty mph in your claimed 6.5 earth seconds.

Substitute '8' for an 'R' however, and despite the fact we are still in a 5 star hotel on wheels, you may on demand, enter a world of torque and fury that only ends when you run out of road, petrol or *****. *

*Can also be overridden by a sense of self preservation and/or common sense

Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh and don't forget that in spite of motoring journalists comments nowadays that torque means nothing, zilch, zero nada....

Power (hp, bhp, kw etc) is everything.

BTW my 2.5l diesel pickup makes more torque than your straight 6 or the XKR, while it may tow 3T it won't hit 60 until about....christmas.

cadmium (04-25-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a contact that can do full resprays for a reasonable cost in Auckland with great quality - one of the XJS's that was done didn't even need wet-sand and buffing after painting! Give me a PM if you're interested in having this done.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks for this offer jcgtveloce,

I still have this car in my sights. I have done some research and see there are a couple of companies who would be able to sort out the scratches invisibly, and the rest of the issues are just in the clear coat which should be able to be restored okay.

Its great to know someone in Auckland with an interest in Jags and good contacts.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Up closer - Oh dear, that paint needs some attention. A number of thin scratches showing white undercoat - the sort of thing a good detailer might be able to hide??? Paint swirls all over - a good detailer can surely polish those out? No stone chips on nose or hood.
You might want to have the paint inspected by a good detailer first. If you're seeing small scratches that are enough to reveal the undercoat as well as heavy polish swirls in the paint, there might not be much clear left to polish.

Quick Reply: Just had my first ride in an XKR