XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Is it just me, or do the ghosts of Coventry just have a mischievous bent?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice insightful bundle of information. I love a good sized assortment of collected mechanized traveling aids if for nothing else, shows that some know how to save a dollar or two on smart fixes that can stand the test of time and don't look over engineered by rednecks on location in Africa. I've been forced to do enough of that to last a lifetime already. "get er done"
I checked under my 01'XKR and all the piping looks good. Seems to be more hoses than pipes. Maybe that has somehting to do with the oil cooler relocating the dealer done years ago?

The following users liked this post:
maxwdg (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

My XK8 seems to have a leak in the AC... I'll have to check this spot when it stops raining.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Good idea to check all hoses. Lots of them are known to chafe. Just noticed that my intercooler hose is right up against a sheetmetal edge *and* there is no room to move it. They made the hole just big enough for the hose.

Seems like the Jaguar business plan was to have everything last past the warranty when they pay and then have everything explode when it's on the owner's dime .... many, many dimes.

Last edited by plums; 09-21-2013 at 05:50 PM.
RJ237 (09-21-2013)
Old 09-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by plums

Seems like the Jaguar business plan was to have everything last past the warranty when they pay and then have everything explode when it's on the owner's dime .... many, many dimes.
I agree Plums... I LOVE my XKR, but damn, I've been through a lot of weird and complex situations in the 2.5 years she's been MY problem. Mega, needlessly overcomplicated, and from what I've found, not so well thought out and/or assembled - see fuel pump replacement woes and access to fuel rails or injectors on a S/C car. My gawd, if I had "engineered" either of those items, I would be embarrassed!

I AM very pleased though that documenting and photographing "a few" of my adventures has helped others - and in this particular case with the A/C line wearing through as a result of either poor design or careless assembly, prompting guys to check their own cars in hopes of a "preemptive strike!"

BTW, I forgot to mention that before I put the A/C line back on the car, I cut a piece of thick rubber heater hose, slit it down the middle and hose clamped it to the area of the A/C line that was - and may again come in contact with the oil cooler line.

You know, if the designers had just used two inches more tubing to allow a deeper bend where the A/C line routes around the oil cooler line, no problem would have existed.... But if that two inches of aluminum tubing cost Jag/Ford 5 cents more, and 10,000 XK8 cars were manufactured that year, the bean-counters saved FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!

Yeah, sure, that was worth it.... 'Cause they didn't have to deal with it. I DID.

Last edited by maxwdg; 09-22-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Adding to your very valid rant, allow me to point out a similarly stupid design flaw with the HVAC hoses on our 2005 S-Type. They are actually routed underneath the oil filter! This creates two distinct problems at every oil & filter change:

1. I have to be very careful when removing the old filter as not to damage the metal hoses with either my socket wrench / filter removal cap or the old filter itself.

2. Once the old filter is removed, the insulation surrounding the metal hoses is drenched by the draining oil and must be thoroughly wiped down in an effort to remove as much saturated oil as possible, always a time-consuming and rag-eating process.

While I'm much better at the procedure now vs. the first couple of times I did it, I still curse the designers under my breath at every oil & filter change....

That said, maintaining our S-Type has been a pleasure vs. maintaining my wife's XK8. The S-Type has required absolutely no wrenching since I did the 72,000-mile service last October. I'll be doing the 78,000-mile service in early October, just an oil & filter change / tire rotation / MAF sensor cleaning if I'm lucky....

Old 09-23-2013, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by maxwdg
I LOVE my XKR, but damn, I've been through a lot of weird and complex situations in the 2.5 years she's been MY problem. Mega, needlessly overcomplicated, and from what I've found, not so well thought out and/or assembled - see fuel pump replacement woes and access to fuel rails or injectors on a S/C car. My gawd, if I had "engineered" either of those items, I would be embarrassed!
Exactly. I am currently awaiting the opening of NAPA.

Did the four pulley bearings. And "since we're there", an oil change, alternator ground points, alternator and starter +ve connections. As always being mindful of the placement of my hands when working in the engine bay.

Started the car, ran perfectly quiet and oil pressure came up good even on 0W40 instead of 15W40.

Cleaned up a weeks accumulation of tools and trash.

Decided to peek under the car in case oil was leaking ... you never know.

Hmmm ... what's this pinkish stuff? Coolant!

Yep, cracked one of those god forsaken, irreplaceable Norma connectors at the rad because I decided to use fender covers this time. At one point thinking ... "umm can't see the connectors, maybe fender cover should be moved to the side".

All I need from NAPA is two inches of heater hose, two inches of fuel hose, and four clamps. But of course, they're not open.

At one time those connections would have been a good paying job on the assembly line for the hose clamp person. Now, a robot that doesn't pay taxes does the job. And we get to pay through the nose because it's a dealer only part. There was nothing wrong with a plain metal nipple that would have lasted the life of the car.

And the pinky color bothers me because it was flushed multiple times before changing to Zerex G5. None of that new and improved Dexcool thanks. Another solution looking for a problem.

Last edited by plums; 09-23-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
2. Once the old filter is removed, the insulation surrounding the metal hoses is drenched by the draining oil and must be thoroughly wiped down in an effort to remove as much saturated oil as possible, always a time-consuming and rag-eating process.
Someone with another equally messy make mentioned using a cardboard trough when removing the filter to direct the oil away from the engine and into the drain pan. Or, maybe lay a folded piece of cardboard over the victim areas.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Better yet, cutting the bottom off of an empty plastic milk jug then stuffing the jug upside-down into the area sometimes works. It's just difficult to twist off the old oil filter with the jug in the way. When there's an empty jug in our recycling container at oil & filter service time, I use it....

Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts

Whenever I see two lines crossing and touching I find a short some of similar sized ID tubing, slice it, and wrap around one or both of the lines. Zip ties can usually hold the cushion in place. If not then tape and/or jubilee clamp. Even the heavy duty thick rubber electricians tape will offer some protection.

I just replaced the Octopus and had a similar experience with it rubbing an electrical connector fixed to a body part. I cut the same section of the old Octopus and used it as a protective barrier against wear in that spot.

maxwdg (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

You know? That's a good idea Gordo!

The next time I'm under the front of my XKR (probably within two or three weeks, no doubt) I'm going to replace those metal hose clamps I used to anchor the rubber hose I armored the A/C line with zip ties - just in case the steel clamps slip and move to the point THEY are touching the aluminum oil cooler line....

Oh jeeze, THAT could be a huuuuuge problem if that line was eaten through by a clamp rubbing on it!

Thanks for the idea!