XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Keep blowing lock fuse

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 601 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Keep blowing lock fuse

A new issue has come up, the 10amp fuse for the door locks blows. It will work fine for a few weeks and then blows. Have not figured out if it blows while locking or unlocking.

Last night went to dinner and the theater. Worked fine at the restaurant, locked when I got there and unlocked when I left, got to the theater and the car would not lock. Did not notice if the doors had locked when I drove off from the restaurant.

Of course I could manually lock both doors with the key.

Will start investigating today, any suggestions?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Maybe one of the solenoid linkages is binding and causing it to draw to much current and blow the fuse...

Dave

Old 07-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Now this is strange, last night when the locks stopped working my scangauge connected to the OBD port would not power up on the way home.

No other issues other than locks would not work and the Scanguage was dead.

I just went out to replace the fuse and everything is working correctly WITHOUT doing anything. Scanguage comes on, locks cycle properly.

Last time this happened only the locks stopped working and the fuse was blown.

I hate grimlins,

The only other symton is my remote top module stops working when the lock issue happens, can still cycle the top with the key in the door. Just figured the top module is interfaced with the door locks so without locking it will not work. Fairly certain it has to have a power signal from the door module when it tells the doors to lock or unlock.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Default Resolved

Man these cars are finicky with the ground!

Went to town everything was normal, make a stop and when I turn the Car off the steering wheel does not go up, car is completely dead no power period!

Open the trunk with the key and look at the battery, notice a small and I do mean small amount of corrosion on the negative clamp, wiggle it slightly and the car powers up but the locks don't work and the scangauge attached to the OBDport does not power up.

Using the 10mm open end wrench supplied with the tools in the spare tire caddy I took off the negative terminal and cleaned as best I could with a rag. Reattached and everything is normal again.

Went directly to O'reilys and bought a new 10" ground strap, replaced mine and everything has been OK for the rest of my stops today.

Crossing my fingers that was the issue all the time.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Crazy, but you've been here long enough to know there's never a single symptom for flaky electronic/voltages. Sounds like you narrowed it down and have corrected (a) problem, hopefully the one you were shooting.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Have you tried to look where the wires flex to open the locks, like the wires at the part where the door hinges, or where the trunk opens? Maybe there is a flaky lock solenoid, that somehow let water in it?

These cars are no more complicated than any other cars their age, or mileage, but all cars this age are extremely complicated, unless you have the training to repair them. The major problem with these cars is that Jaguar has had a history of rapid depreciation, like All English cars, because they weren't worth a crap, as far as reliability long ago. The Italians had the same problem. Things have now changed for the better.

Now we have people buying them, that can't afford to have them properly repaired by someone who is trained to repair these problems, in usually an hour or less, or even able to afford the parts.

We had the same problem at Audi, as far as reputation, when they didn't put shifter lockouts in their cars, and some woman's big butt hit the shifter while trying to reason with her 3 year old, and drove through her garage wall, panicking and hitting the gas instead of the brake trying to stop her car and going through the neighbor's house. That is what the court said the story boiled down to. The rest of the people who complained about unintended acceleration were trying to ride the gravy train. Now every manufacturer's cars have a shifter lockout. Before Audi, that was not true.

She got no money. The car company got a black eye, as well as a bunch of the same kind of people who now buy used Jaguars, because Audis got cheap fast after the complaint, and they were classy.

What I am trying to say, without hurting anyone's feelings, is that many people buy used Jaguars, because Jaguars are classy, but the owners don't have the training or money to repair them, and you only get the training by making thousands of mistakes that somehow teach you how to do things the correct way......be cool.....It has been a HOT DAY!!!! Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 07-19-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I guess I did hurt someone's feelings. I might have been a bit harsh.....Sorry.

I bought a Rolls Royce Corniche a few years ago, because it had greatly depreciated, for the same reason our Jags have. I loved it, but got rid of it, because it only got 9 miles to the gallon, on the highway, weighed over 3 tons and was sure it would crack the floor of my garage, as well as being at the very top of the weight limit for my hoist. It also needed special tyres, that came wrapped on paper, to carry the extra weight around.

Talk about a nightmare to work on, you couldn't see the ground in the engine compartment, and the air intake was the size of a coffee can. I painted it, a little brighter white than it was originally, and paid over a thousand dollars for the hood ornament. Even the damn hubcaps were over $500 a piece used.

I sold it to an investment banker, who had someone else do the driving for him, and had a garage twice the size of my house. It was parked next to a Ferrari Daytona convertible that was a 100 point car, and a white Lamborghini Countach, with 3 miles on it, that he had sitting in his office in some business building in Chicago, on the 15th floor. He also had a Daytona winning Corvette, a 60s vintage Ferrari, with a 12 cylinder carbureted engine, two 930 Porsches, and a Ferrari Dino, for his 16 year old to drive.

My Factory Special Porsche 928S looked like a booger sitting next to his cigarette racer parked in the driveway. He had no wife, but a few girl friends, who were around 5 years older than his son.

To top it all off, my problem never went away, because I still work on the Rolls, and he drives my Porsche until I'm finished. It must feel like taking your Cadillac to the dealer, and them giving you a Geo as a loaner to him....another facet of my life you all know of now......Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 07-20-2015 at 09:51 AM.