XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Key cutting and programming - 2003 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Key cutting and programming - 2003 XKR

My 2003 XKR came with one black key, and one green key.

I'd like to get another black key cut and programmed, without paying through the nose or taking a day off work.

When I called the 'local' dealer, he indicated that I would have buy a key, have them cut it and then program it. Total cost approx $220 (of which more than half was programming).

However I've read here somewhere (but can't find it now...) a procedure that enables me to 'program' a new (already cut) key into the car myself, as I already have two keys. Is that correct?

Also, I see in the UK there is at least one company that claims to be able to supply and cut a key, given photos of a working key (I'm in the US though)

My main problem is that the dealer can only do this work Mon-Fri during normal hours, says they need the car and there's no way I can do that (I have a living to earn!).

Also, the only other dealer in the state today quoted a buddy over $400 for a new key for his S-Type (he currently only has one black key).

Anyone know a reasonable way around this?

Really, what I'd like to do is buy a key, have it cut and program it into the car myself.

Thanks in advance
Steve

PS If this posted somewhere else, point me to it - I searched and couldn't find it, though there's loads of threads on remote programming. As the search engine doesn't allow searches for the word 'key' it's kind of tough to find!

Last edited by thefixer; 07-22-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Inability to spell!!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by thefixer
PS If this posted somewhere else, point me to it - I searched and couldn't find it, though there's loads of threads on remote programming. As the search engine doesn't allow searches for the word 'key' it's kind of tough to find!
The post exists.

Try using quoted phrases, such as "at least two keys".

Or use longer words that you know exist in the post such as: programming, headlight switch, ignition, black, valet

Last edited by plums; 07-22-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

The vBulletins software that this, and most other forums use, will not search on less than 4 characters. Posters and searchers should spell significant words out rather than abbreviating.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 565 Posts

To search for words with less than 4 letters, use google. Go to the advanced search, then down there where it says "search within a site or domain" put in www.jaguarforums.com. That will limit the search to jaguarforums.com.

If you want to search just the XK8 subforum, copy this text: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-17/ and paste that into the "search within a site or domain" section. That will limit the search to the XK8 subforum.

The following users liked this post:
test point (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Wonderful solution to the limitations of the vBulletin software. Should be added to sticky's under 'search'.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Here... I'll make it easy. Click on this link and type your search:

Google Advanced Search

Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a key problem as well--one of the two black keys will not actuate the starter. I used the custom search (thanks Rev. Sam) and I've tried the programming sequence of using the good key, turning it to on, removing it within five seconds, then inserting the non-working key, turning it to on, waiting a few seconds and turning it off. No luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks much.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I ran up on the instructions somewhere on how to read the Jag key cut, and how to order a replacement. Unfortunately, I lost the info in a hard drive failure.

You can order a key online, but you'd have to find a local locksmith to do the key reprogramming (in the security module.) You'd still save substantially over taking the car to a Jag dealer for a key/reprogramming.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM

Thanks Bamaman; I have a key, it's just not working. I will do some calling locally.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamaman
I ran up on the instructions somewhere on how to read the Jag key cut, and how to order a replacement. Unfortunately, I lost the info in a hard drive failure.

You can order a key online, but you'd have to find a local locksmith to do the key reprogramming (in the security module.) You'd still save substantially over taking the car to a Jag dealer for a key/reprogramming.
Find the ebay seller that sells older pre-transponder Jaguar keys in Australia. It's on his site.

Basically, it is a Tibbe key, 8 positions, and the cuts can be: none, half, or full depth. There are also 6 position Tibbe keys.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 PM

I talked to two locksmiths today whose ads indicated they programmed transponder keys; both said the Jaguar key is "dealer-only." I guess I will contact them.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a 'Black Key' I purchased on Ebay. turns out, they are clone keys, and can't be programmed as a normal key. I was unable to get mine working, other than use it to unlock the doors and trunk. My local dealer (Galpin) cut it for me and tried to program it with no luck, so I just paid the $120 for a real jag key.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeble
I too have a 'Black Key' I purchased on Ebay. turns out, they are clone keys, and can't be programmed as a normal key. I was unable to get mine working, other than use it to unlock the doors and trunk. My local dealer (Galpin) cut it for me and tried to program it with no luck, so I just paid the $120 for a real jag key.
Was that $120 for a cut & programmed key? (or just the blank?). Did you manage to program it yourself, or did you have the dealer do it? $120 is a lot more reasonable than the $400+ our 'local' dealer quoted last week....

edit: should have read more carefully, I'm guessing $120 was for the blank from Galpin, then you paid extra for cut+program?

Last edited by thefixer; 07-25-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: re-read the last msg....
Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they could not program mine after cutting it, I just told them to make me a real key (cut and programmed). $120 out the door. And I got to keep the bad key that works the trunk and door only. Apparently that was a great deal considering what others are paying.

Last edited by wheeble; 08-01-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Where do you guys find such nice Jag dealers? Here's my dealers quotes........
$213.47 per key including tax.
$257.99 per key fob including tax..........I ordered on ebay, programmed myself.
$138.00 programming fee
Ordered a used fob off ebay........$20.00 programmed it myself....works great.
Now if I could just find that deal on a key..........or the deal you guys got, I'd be happy. Still looking...........

Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't believe there is any way around the dealer on this issue. About $200 bucks... ask me how I know..

Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

You can save by getting a key cut online, and buying a used or new fob online & programming it yourself:

Reading your Key

The Jaguar type key is a "tibbe" type key. You can read your key cut, and have it cut online -several sellers on ebay offer the service.

You will also need to have the key itself "programmed", although you can find a "key programmer, like the T300 or Genrad 510 online or ebay, it's more cost effective to get the cut key programmed at an independent key programmer locally, or at the dealer.

Here's a guide on reading the Jag tibbe key. Basically, there are 8 positions on the "rib", no cut (#1), mid cut (#2) and full cut (#3). After reading your existing key cuts you can email someone who cuts jag tibbe keys with your "code" - ex below: T21232233

Code reading "Tibbe" keys for Jaguar

Here is the FOB programming sequence I found sometime back:

1. Make sure that your batteries are fresh; two are required and are sold at most drug stores. Energizer #CR2016 2. If you are replacing the batteries, take the time to clean the contact points with an alcohol swab. There are four under the rubber button cover and the battery contact makes five cleaning points
3. Get in the driver's seat and close the door.
4. Pull the headlight flasher stalk toward you and keep it in this position, the headlights will be on when you pull this stalk towards you.
5. Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to position one. Position one will not energize your dashboard
6. Release the headlight stalk and then pull it towards you four times, flashing the headlights each time; you should end this sequence with the headlight stalk in its normal released position and the headlights off
7. A beep will be heard and a small red light will show on the gear shift gate surround
8. Press the unlock button five times, each time you ought to hear a beep...count the beeps!
9. After the fifth beep programming is complete
10. Remove key, step out of car, close door and test
11. If you have more than one remote to program, alter step 8 in the following way:
2 remotes: press one remote unlock two times, the other remote unlock 3 times

3 remotes: press the first remote unlock two times, the second remote unlock two times, the last remote unlock once

4 remotes: press the first remote unlock once, the second remote unlock once, the third remote unlock once and the fourth remote unlock twice

The reason this works with multiple remotes is that the programming mode is only memorized when the unlock button is pushed a total of five times, no matter how many remotes you use.
5 remotes: press each remote just once

Last edited by pomosv; 08-11-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Pomosv, that works for cutting the key and programming the fob, but the transponder chip in the key still has to be programmed, otherwise the key cannot start the car. You could still use an unprogrammed cut key to unlock the doors and the trunk, but you won't be able to start the car with it.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through the same process and finally went to a dealership. Now here is the important step, check with all the dealers you can get to. I live in the Florida Panhandle and have no close dealerships, Mobile Al is the closest at 3 hours away, then Jacksonville and Birmingham, Al. The prices quoted ranged from $500 to $150 depending on the dealership. Mobile was the $150 and the closest. Oh yes, you also have to prove that you own the car.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 8,305 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Or find an indy shop with WDS for cars up to 2006 or IDS for even later cars. I have WDS so if anyone in the North Fort Worth TX area needs the keys configured let me know.

bob gauff