XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Key Fob, Close but No Cigar

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2024, 07:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Key Fob, Close but No Cigar

Looking for ideas/direction.
Having finally got the car out of valet mode, I was able to get car into program mode (hold flash/key to 1 / then 4 x flash = very soft sound the red-light flashes at the gear shifter). Great start!
But then, using either of two period (2000) and country-accurate used remotes with brand new fresh name-brand batteries, no flashes or beeps, while pressing any of the remote buttons five times. After a bit more time, two louder beeps sound (guessing it's self-exciting program mode).
And that's it.
However neither remote works using either five presses individually (or 3+2 for two).
So, the car is not seeing the remotes I suspect.
Thoughts on what I can try next?
Right now I am the mercy of one black and one green key. (I will be getting a copy of the black one sometime, but to have the remotes working would be great, especially for access to the passenger side.)
Thanks for whatever you can think of...

Old 10-05-2024, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 387 Posts

The problem you have right now is you don't have a known working remote, so you still don't know if the problem is with the car or the remote. There are lots of threads on cleaning the remotes button contacts, which do fail over time, so that might be worth a try. I think I might use a multimeter on millamps range to try and see if the remotes are drawing any current when a button is pressed to get an idea if they are doing anything at all to try and get some kind of baseline to work from.

Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8FAN
Looking for ideas/direction.
Having finally got the car out of valet mode, I was able to get car into program mode (hold flash/key to 1 / then 4 x flash = very soft sound the red-light flashes at the gear shifter). Great start!
But then, using either of two period (2000) and country-accurate used remotes with brand new fresh name-brand batteries, no flashes or beeps, while pressing any of the remote buttons five times. After a bit more time, two louder beeps sound (guessing it's self-exciting program mode).
And that's it.
However neither remote works using either five presses individually (or 3+2 for two).
So, the car is not seeing the remotes I suspect.
Thoughts on what I can try next?
Right now I am the mercy of one black and one green key. (I will be getting a copy of the black one sometime, but to have the remotes working would be great, especially for access to the passenger side.)
I had similar issues with my fob, my local hardware store has a key fob checker, that was the first thing I did to find out the fob was bad, which seems to be an issue. The fob must be exactly the same fcc number, and part number. They are hard to find, every once in a while one becomes available on ebay, but not cheap. There is a video somewhere that shows how to clean the contacts, but no guarantee that will solve the problem. I found keys for my 1998 xk8 on ebay, they are cloneable keys, I had a local locksmith read the original key, then clone it to the new keys.

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by dibbit
The problem you have right now is you don't have a known working remote, so you still don't know if the problem is with the car or the remote. There are lots of threads on cleaning the remotes button contacts, which do fail over time, so that might be worth a try. I think I might use a multimeter on millamps range to try and see if the remotes are drawing any current when a button is pressed to get an idea if they are doing anything at all to try and get some kind of baseline to work from.
Thank you.
I had cleaned them (one was really gunky) but have not tried the multimeter. Difficult set in series with the battery! Will have to dig out some wire and crocodile clips.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jmstunts
I had similar issues with my fob, my local hardware store has a key fob checker, that was the first thing I did to find out the fob was bad, which seems to be an issue. The fob must be exactly the same fcc number, and part number. They are hard to find, every once in a while one becomes available on ebay, but not cheap. There is a video somewhere that shows how to clean the contacts, but no guarantee that will solve the problem. I found keys for my 1998 xk8 on eBay, they are cloneable keys, I had a local locksmith read the original key, then clone it to the new keys.
Great idea to try.
The ones I have on hand and period and country specific (USA 315 Mhz) and came from XK8's. They were about $55 each on eBay. I have a pair of brand-new Ford ones too in the same button pattern that are supposed to work ($10 for the two!). None of the four makes a beep with the Jag. It does enter the program mode and does seem to exit it, but nothing in between. I like the locksmith suggestion. We have one in town that is recommended for weird car stuff.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Received 8,326 Likes on 5,027 Posts

Press each remote ONCE in sequence.
The 5 times thing is for the early XJS and XJ40 security modules.(single button remotes)
The X300 and later XJS as well as the X100/X308 only need one press per remote transmitter in 'learning-mode'.

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Norri (Yesterday), Y2KJag (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Received 6,368 Likes on 5,541 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8FAN
You know you can change your valet key to a regular key by filing the tip?

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
There was a thread on this but I can't find it.
Here are the two keys

To mod your valet key carefully file the tip to 4.5 mm (0.175") diameter for a depth of 2 mm (0.08").
Take the same amount off both sides of the key.
My two master keys measure 4.5 and 4.4 mm at the tip so a bit under 4.5 mm is OK

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the link for the cloneable keys, I have purchased 4 of them, they work great. These are not the programmable keys that require a visit to your dealer, just find a locksmith with a reader....2pak: Jaguar 8-Cut Tibbe Key Blank w/Cloning Chip! For: 1997-99 XJ8 XJR XK8 XKR | eBay

The following users liked this post:
XK8FAN (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM
Received 6,368 Likes on 5,541 Posts

Isn't his problem with the fob:- He can't lock / unlock the doors with it?

@XK8FAN are you able to start the car with your keys?

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

I had the same problem. I got two fobs from the PO. Neither worked. I tried the two thin batteries and the one thick battery. Nothing. You'd go into programming mode and zilch.

I finally found one on eBar for around $80. Most on FleaBay were beat to hell and the sellers were taking a **** and asking insane money. Anyway, I gambled the $80 and it showed up, looked to have a fresh battery, and it synced immediately. I haven't tried cleaning the old ones. One does look like much of the gold metal below the battery has worn off. Maybe a battery leak? Dunno.

These fabs are insanely difficult to find.

Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Isn't his problem with the fob:- He can't lock / unlock the doors with it?

@XK8FAN are you able to start the car with your keys?
Yes it's the key fobs mainly. But secondarily I need to get at least one back up set of keys. I only have one black and one green. I am one step away from a major oops. (I did have the presence of mind to decode the pattern and write it down though so I could get another non-smart one cut.) The fobs would be great though as there is no key hole on the passenger side. Thanks!