XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Key fob range down to 1m from 15m and it's not the fob battery :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default could be resolved?

Originally Posted by LGfromBE
I had exactly the same problem. The range of both my key fobs was 0.5m from the back window. I did check the key fobs, the antenna, the coax cable, the grounding on the roof, all connections… nothing worked.

I took out the security module and opened it. I inspected both print boards under a magnifying glass. There is a flat cable that connects both print boards. Were the cable connects to the small signal receiver board I discovered some damaged soldering. This was almost not visible to the naked eye. I had to take the print board out to be able to see this because it’s on the back side. I soldered the 3 points very careful and put it all together. (Please don’t try this if you’re not used to do soldering on a print board, ask someone who is) I think that the bad soldering has the same effect as a bad car battery. The flat cable has 3 wires. I presume + - and a signal to the main print. If the + or – are not nice connected, than the receiver print don’t gets the power it needs.

Now my remotes work from 50m distance. (55 yards)

I hope this can help someone.

here you can find the pictures
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iI...AE_VGFxoEPSsm-
As the OP, I'm glad to see this reply. It makes sense, after doing electrical continuity checks on the antenna subsystem, I also suspected the RX amplifier board inside the SLM. I took the module apart, inspected the components and found nothing.
You were smart enough to check everything with a magnifying glass to find the dry joints - wish I'd done that...

Thanks LGfromBE.

I suggest a moderator mark this thread as resolved and make this a sticky - its a common problem

Simon
ex-XK8 owner and future XK8 owner.

The following 2 users liked this post by simon3166:
Johnken (01-11-2022), srpope80 (09-17-2021)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Thx. will replace mine soon.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Locking Module will fix it

[QUOTE=christ;2022987]CR2016

If your still having problem with your XK8 or XJ8 range or key fob not programming/working on the car then it is the Security Locking Module.
Berkshire Jag Components do a repair service on this module all you need to do is send your security module to them they will fix it and return within 1-2 working days.
much cheaper than buying a new one or having to try 101 things and still having no joy.
I’ve attached a link for you to check it out

https://www.berkshirejagcomponents.c...bd-c2x27169675

Old 10-26-2020, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob very short range

My key fob was down to a couple of inches from the aerial at the top of the rear window.
Replaced fob batteries, checked main car battery - all OK.
Checked aerial connector to the security locking module (SLM) under the fuse box in the boot - seems clean and dry - no improvement after cleaning with contact cleaner and replacing.
Opened SLM and checked circuit board inside - no sign of water, burnt components broken tracks or corrosion.
Checked aerial connection at the top of the rear window. No obvious loose or corroded connection. Not keen on pulling and pushing too hard in case the wires break.
Thought it worth trying to replace the aerial in case the window aerial defective.
Plenty of cheap 433Mhz tuned aerials available from eBay but connectors mostly SMA male. SLM aerial connector is FME male. Original aerial lead is FME female.
Reasonably priced Female SMA to Female FME short connection lead available from RS components.
Fitted 433MHz aerial in the driver's side rear window. Range unfortunately still only a few inches but at least now don't have to lean over the rear window.
Looking to obtain a new key fob, so will update if the new key fob performs better.
Otherwise will have to consider sending the SLM off for repair.
Hope that may be of some use to others.

Brian

The following users liked this post:
simon3166 (10-30-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:13 AM
MJB
Cool Very Little range with FOB

I've read the above thread with interest as my 2005 XKR has the same problem, in that there is no range when using the FOB. I took the boot apart with the idea of following 'DIBBETS' advice regarding potential problems with the Security Module (SM). My 'SM' is marked up as Part No LJE 2600BD, not what I was expecting (my info gives part Nos as LJB2600BB or BC.
Next I attempted to trace the antenna cable which was fine until I reach the top of the wheel arch where it was taped in with the wiring loom and then disappeared through the bulk head.
I am now left with the conclusion my antenna cable does not attach to the rear window???
Has anyone else come across this and can supply me with an answer as to where the cable ends up before I start removing the back seats/carpets etc
Mike

Old 12-23-2020, 01:25 PM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by MJB
..... I am now left with the conclusion my antenna cable does not attach to the rear window???
Has anyone else come across this and can supply me with an answer as to where the cable ends up before I start removing the back seats/carpets etc
Welcome to the forums Mike,

If it's a Coupe, the cable terminates in a press stud connection to the antenna at the top of the rear screen:

Easily dislodged by zealous cleaners!

I have no idea where it terminates in a Convertible. The last time we had top down weather here was in 1978.

Graham

dfbender (04-03-2022)
Old 12-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
...I have no idea where it terminates in a Convertible....
There's one under the rear passenger side quarter casing cap (#2 on the diagram below) right above the passenger seatbelt shoulder mounting location. Take the cap off and there will be a single wire projecting out into the space below the cap.

Rear quarter casing, cap is #2.

The following 3 users liked this post by crbass:
GGG (12-23-2020), Johnken (01-11-2022), michaelh (09-05-2022)
Old 12-23-2020, 04:28 PM
MJB
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums Mike,

If it's a Coupe, the cable terminates in a press stud connection to the antenna at the top of the rear screen:

Graham
Thanks for that info. I'll have another look tomorrow, if it's stopped raining. I just don't remember seeing anything around the rear window, top or bottom. Perhaps it is under the rear quarter casing cap as suggested by 'CRBASS'. I will let you know
regards
Mike

Old 12-23-2020, 05:42 PM
GGG

I gave you the Coupe location in post #26 - Dale gave you the Convertible location in post #27.

Graham

Old 12-24-2020, 04:27 AM
MJB
Red face Antenna on Back Window

Originally Posted by GGG
I gave you the Coupe location in post #26 - Dale gave you the Convertible location in post #27.

Graham
Graham,

Must be going blind in my old age, the antenna was, as you suggested, at the top of the back window. Just cleaned up the terminals but alas it's made no difference.
I think I will test the cable then take the Security Module out and look at it as the next step.
Just as an aside-whilst looking at the SM I have discovered what looks like a control Module laying in an empty slot inside the Fuse box (next to the battery). There are no markings on it and it's served by two clusters of wires, one through a 'Brown' terminal the other through a 'Black' terminal. The wires into the brown terminal are Orange, Red, Yellow, White, Black and Blue. Into the black terminal the wires are White, Green, Brown Green/Brown, Brown/Green and Black/Brown. Any idea what this is?
regards
Mike

Old 12-24-2020, 05:26 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by MJB
.....whilst looking at the SM I have discovered what looks like a control Module laying in an empty slot inside the Fuse box (next to the battery). There are no markings on it and it's served by two clusters of wires, one through a 'Brown' terminal the other through a 'Black' terminal. The wires into the brown terminal are Orange, Red, Yellow, White, Black and Blue. Into the black terminal the wires are White, Green, Brown Green/Brown, Brown/Green and Black/Brown. Any idea what this is?
It's been a few year since I had an XK8 and I can't recall the precise details of the Fuse Box. I'm sure another member with and XK8 will be able to check this for you.

Graham

Old 12-26-2020, 05:05 AM

I think you've found the REAR PARKING SENSOR CONTROL MODULE ECU. I'm surprised there are no markings on it. Should be labelled something along the lines of 4X43-15K866-AD.

Brian

Old 12-26-2020, 05:14 AM
MJB

Brian J
Many thanks for the info. I will mark that down in my notes. and apply my own sticker to the side of the module.

Mike B

Old 12-26-2020, 08:48 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by 01752brianj
I think you've found the REAR PARKING SENSOR CONTROL MODULE ECU. .....
The Reverse Aid Module is bolted across the LHR corner of the Luggage Compartment:

I do remember this because I retro-fitted the system on one of mine.

Graham

Nitch (01-09-2022)
Old 12-26-2020, 11:27 AM
MJB

Oh!
Well the 'box' I've found definitely isn't situated on the LHR corner it's in a slot in the fuse box, sited behind the battery. Sorry I thought this query would be a simple one, I'm beginning to realise that Jaguar don't seem to do 'simple'. I'll check through the wiring diagrams for the wire combinations to see if I can identify it. Thanks (Brian and Graham) for your help
Merry Christmas, what's left of it
Mike B

Old 12-27-2020, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Interesting post from Graham!

My 2005 XK8 has had the rear parking assist system from new and the module is exactly where described by MJB

Old 12-27-2020, 04:06 PM

My Parking sensor control module taken out of its slot alongside the luggage compartment fuse box. To be fair the foam insulation was covering virtually all of the identification codes when I found it.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:12 AM

Hi Brian,

Did you ever find the solution to this? The car I have recently bought has the remote issue as well. Previous owner had spend nearly a 1000 in 2014 getting it addressed with a new SLM module, but now 2022 the fob only works 1-3m away from the car.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:57 AM

Hi wot76,
Sadly not. I haven't swapped out the module yet or got it repaired.
But I am able to live with the temporary solution of moving the aerial to the driver's side rear window.
I'm still on the look out for a reasonably priced security module, so will update if I get the chance to try it.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:38 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by crbass
There's one under the rear passenger side quarter casing cap (#2 on the diagram below) right above the passenger seatbelt shoulder mounting location. Take the cap off and there will be a single wire projecting out into the space below the cap.

Rear quarter casing, cap is #2.
What year(s) would that include? I had that off in my 2001 and the only wite was for the airbag sensor in the front of that cap.

Quick Reply: Key fob range down to 1m from 15m and it's not the fob battery :)