XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Leak.. fluid dripping from transmission crossmember 05 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Leak.. fluid dripping from transmission crossmember 05 XKR

I went on a trip and the car sat for a couple of weeks only being driven once during that time. It has been BONE DRY since I got it.

When I backed it out I was surprised to see a considerable amount of brown fluid that looks and feels like oil under where the center of the car was situated.

Less than 1/2 cup in estimation, but considerable to be sure.

I took the car to get an oil change and inspected it myself while on the lift. No fluid from the bell housing area (phew!) Nothing at all forward of the tranny crossmember.

The rear of the tranny pan has some light evidence of fluid, but the bottom of the trans crossmember is drip-drip-dripping.

I think it has to be trans fluid. I just can't see where it is coming from!

Trans output seal? What do you guys think?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

The usual suspect is a leaking Mechatronic sleeve. The original factory ones are infamous for eventually beginning to leak. The new-and-improved ones have not been reported as known leakers yet. In order to closely inspect the sleeve, you need to get the car in the air on a lift or on jackstands. If your sleeve is leaking, you must drop the transmission pan in order to change it. Since the pan is also the filter, if you drop it I recommend replacing it. Finally, Mercon SP ATF (available at Ford dealership parts departments) is a cost-effective and well-proven replacement for the original Lifeguard 6 ATF....

Good luck and keep us posted....

The following users liked this post:
flylear45 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Possibly the connector sleeve, where the electrical plug connects to the TCM in the transmission. It is fairly high up, near the output flange. Cheap part, but some trouble to replace, i.e. a good time to do a "full" service with pan/filter and fluid.

For argument's sake, the fill plug is lower, and to the right, but in the same neighborhood. Unlikely it came off, but worth checking. I believe the temp sensor is also back there.

Best is probably to do a cleanup with some form of de-greaser (brake cleaner?) and a short test drive to gather more clues.

As you said, it is also possible the output shaft seal has given up the ghost. Again, cheap seal, some work to replace.

The lines to the cooler are further to the front, but worth keeping in mind.

FWIW, trans oil smells like fish to me. Should be able to tell it apart from engine oil.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

flylear45 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 AM

Ok. that would make sense. I see that the ZF fluid is clear/ milky brown in the transmission, so at 83,000 miles it could look just like engine oil.

So...... it looks like I need this guy:

http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/6_...eplacement.pdf

AND I need to do a trans pan drop and swap to access the unlocking clip for the sleeve from inside the pan area.

So, buy a pan, SP fluid, sleeve and with some work and cussing, get to the sleeve. Use my IR heat detector to fill at proper temp and I should be golden.

My car has 0 corrosion, but I'll pick up new pan bolts, too.

I was scratching my head since the fluid looked EXACTLY like motor oil, but it definitely cannot be.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Possibly the connector sleeve, where the electrical plug connects to the TCM in the transmission. It is fairly high up, near the output flange. Cheap part, but some trouble to replace, i.e. a good time to do a "full" service with pan/filter and fluid.

For argument's sake, the fill plug is lower, and to the right, but in the same neighborhood. Unlikely it came off, but worth checking. I believe the temp sensor is also back there.

Best is probably to do a cleanup with some form of de-greaser (brake cleaner?) and a short test drive to gather more clues.

As you said, it is also possible the output shaft seal has given up the ghost. Again, cheap seal, some work to replace.

The lines to the cooler are further to the front, but worth keeping in mind.

FWIW, trans oil smells like fish to me. Should be able to tell it apart from engine oil.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Thanks!

It is either the rear seal or the connector seal I believe. There is no sign of any kind of fluid north of the crossmember and the underside of this car is clean enough to eat off of. Looks like a brand new car under there....except for this. The pan has nothing on the bottom of it, just a faint haze at the very back. The bottom of the output LOOKED dry, too.

I am 95% certain it's the sleeve seal at this point.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

You will not need new pan bolts. Your 2005 model already has the Torx T-40 bolts, not the problematic T-27 ones, and you will have no trouble removing them or re-installing them. I know this from performing the same service on my wife's 2006 XK8 back in July 2013....

flylear45 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM

In trying to get my head around exactly what this part is and where, I came across a nice video explaining it. This is on a Ford, but looks pretty similar to me.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
You will not need new pan bolts. Your 2005 model already has the Torx T-40 bolts, not the problematic T-27 ones, and you will have no trouble removing them or re-installing them. I know this from performing the same service on my wife's 2006 XK8 back in July 2013....

Hmmm, mine looked like the T27's to me. I was hoping to see T40's. I'll check for sure first, but they looked pretty small. Thanks though.