XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Learning the car (05 XKR)few more questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Learning the car (05 XKR)few more questions

It's taking a bit of getting used to "working" the accelerator pedal as it has quite a different feel compared with my 95 Vette. Is this a "drive-by-wire" system versus a physical cable that connects the pedal to the throttle body? If so, that is probably part of the difference. I have tended to be very light of foot to try and get good mpg from my Vette but I think this is not the best way to drive with a supercharger (or turbo for that matter) so that is also taking some getting used to.

I also noticed that the gauges are illuminated even in the daytime but it looks like this is normal behavior according to the Driver's Handbook.

On the J-gate, I notice a "spot" between the plug for the gearshift interlock overide and the "P" symbol. I cannot find out what this is but it looks like a sensor or warning light; can anyone educate me on this?

I really want to get some decent service manual or technical manual and it looks like these are only available on CD at ebay and other places. Do these all end up being "official" manuals published by Jaguar or are there some available from outfits like Helms or Haynes?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts
Default RE: Learning the car (05 XKR)few more questions

The accelerator pedal may just be a difference in travel. GM usually has less travel than Ford. It doesn't matter what type of engine setup, a light foot = better MPG.

The 'spot' is probably the light that blinks when the security system is activated.

The JTIS service CD is available on eBay, but I find it not very detailed on 'how to' part.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

But does the pedal have a physical cable to the throttle body or is throttle movement done electronically via sensors, etc. I keep hearing that many cars in the past few years have gone to a so-called "drive-by-wire" where things like throttle opening are controlled electronically rather than mechanically.

Doug

Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like that one is drive by wire.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Indeed, and Jaguar did already this from the first XK8 in 1996 ;-)

Old 09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Default Two week ownership observations

I love driving this car so far and basically it is everything I hoped for. One additional question and one minor gripe.

The question regards slight valve train noise on initial start up after the car sits overnight. The noise is not obnoxious but sort of sounds like the equivalent of noisy lifters. I assume this is normal since the car was recently in for complete 40,000 mile service by the previous owner just prior to selling to me? The car currently has 16,300 miles.

The minor gripe is how the doors open. I am always careful when opening so as not to hit another car nearby. My gripe is that the "stop" for the door when partially open is not firm enough to stop the motion of the door from wanting to fully open. The door is heavy enough that it wants to move right through the first stop to full open. Is there a way of making the partial-open stop point any firmer?

Doug

Old 09-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Default RE: Two week ownership observations

I have an 01 that starts up quiet and runs quiet. I don't like the sound of what you are hearing. Are you using synthetic? What visc rating? The 05 doesn't have the tensioner problem, so a rattle is very uncommon in that car. Is it still in warranty?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: hlgeorge

I have an 01 that starts up quiet and runs quiet. I don't like the sound of what you are hearing. Are you using synthetic? What visc rating? The 05 doesn't have the tensioner problem, so a rattle is very uncommon in that car. Is it still in warranty?
It does not really sound like a rattle, and perhaps the noise seems louder since the car is in the garage when starting up. But the sound is like the equivalent of slightly noisy lifters. I also occasionally hear similar lifter noises when initially starting up my 95 Vette and, in both cases, the slight noise seems to quickly lessen by the time I am backing out of the garage. I was just chalking it up to "normal" noise until the oil heats and circulates.

As I said, I visited the Jag dealer where the 40,000 mile servicing was performed and he noted nothing unusual when they were doing the servicing. The car is under Jaguar Select warranty until August 2010 so I figure I am in good shape should there really be anything wrong. I'll probably mention it to the dealer next time I bring it in for service.

Regarding service timing, I only put on maybe 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year tops on my cars but have gotten in the habit (mostly via the idiot "change oil" lights) to at least change oil every 6 months. The Jag dealer said once a year service is the norm but I will probably bring it in in 6 months nonetheless.

Does anyone else understand what my gripe about the doors is about?

Doug

Old 09-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Hey doug, it won't help you any, but my 03 doesn't have any rattle or noise at startup in the garage. Makes me wonder. <scratching head> As for the door, i'll have to test mine, I can't recall if mine has any 'notch' to stop at before swinging all the way out. These doors are heavy, you are right on there!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

My door has the 'median" stop, but unless the ground is level, it will not hold the door.