XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Leather Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Leather Dashboard

Hi guys,
Just to share what I wanted to do for a while, as part of my interior color change.
I always wanted more contrast to my cahsmere/sable interior, a bit dull compared to the JRG.
Started with carpets, kick panels, speaker cover and steering wheel to black, different woods and three gauges conversion.
The carpets alone made a nice effect, made the seats lighter. I also played with a black console but it was too much.
So it was time to attack the dash/top door panels.

After checking for advices and experiences (thx ccfulton) I decided to try myself, with suede and vinyl (from Jo-Ann fabric).
I suppose in my mind I knew already that this will finish in a pro-shop at the end so I went off-limits.
At that time I didn’t want to disassemble the entire dashboard (one piece as you know) so I managed to find a cheap spare to work outside of the car.
To prepare everything, cut and glue, try multiple times to get an idea of hard points.

The result in the car was not that bad, especially the suede, maybe because it «absorbs» the light in a certain way that you don’t really see the defaults. Was also nice touch, but finally too sporty for the car.
The vinyl was much easier to place, but the material didn’t feel right, the «plastic» feeling and a horrible smell.
Sorry I don’t have pics, I didn’t bother since I probably changed 2 or 3 times each.
But both edges of the dash (near the vents) were too hard for me, really complex shape, and impossible to get a clean cut with the bottom part of the dash. It was ok doors closed, but not at the level of finish that I wanted.

So I decided to pull the trigger, and went for a pro. I limited the expenses by removing everything I could myself and keeping the car drivable.
Here’s the result, I’m glad I did it honestly.
It is way better than before, contrast, smell, and touch feeling, it also make the dash visually thinner.
Especially because of the stitch right on the edge.
It’s full leather, with a strong grain.

I just have to match the knob now.
But I can’t remove it! the thread must be gone it turns and turns freely, do you have a trick?

But also, if someone wants to try himself, I have a top half of dash ready for you, free of course, and pick up only

Attached Thumbnails Leather Dashboard-img_6061.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by Elgrosso:
ccfulton (09-30-2014), H20boy (10-06-2014), JagxkFan (10-06-2014), RCSign (09-30-2014), toaster (10-01-2014), x-biker (10-01-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice Job, looks factory.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Very nice!

I honestly didn't think this could be done with the dash in the car.

What did your pro end up doing in that complex shape where the dash meets the door? How about where the dash meets the windshield?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 689 Likes on 559 Posts

Looks great! Very handsome look and I suspect feel as well.

Interested in the cost to do this if it is not too personal of a question.

Also, I am trying to find the newer leather/chrome shifter to match my interior with no luck so far. And the dealer cost was a bit much.

If you change your shift knob to black let me know. I would be interested in buying your old one. I think it matches my dash trim color.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

very very cool....nice job!

Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Looks great

Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Very nice!

I honestly didn't think this could be done with the dash in the car.

What did your pro end up doing in that complex shape where the dash meets the door? How about where the dash meets the windshield?
Hi ccfulton,
oh I wasn't clear enough, I did remove the dash.
I insisted to keep it inside first to save on cost, by removing the windshield maybe, but none accepted that, so I had to.
Well I removed everything I could, and drove the car like that, they did the rest.
But I still think it should be do-able from inside.

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Looks great! Very handsome look and I suspect feel as well.
Interested in the cost to do this if it is not too personal of a question.

Also, I am trying to find the newer leather/chrome shifter to match my interior with no luck so far. And the dealer cost was a bit much.

If you change your shift knob to black let me know. I would be interested in buying your old one. I think it matches my dash trim color.
I first got different quotes from 2 to 3 thousands, leather or vinyl, known restorer or little shop, etc.
Since I did part of the job it ended up at half of that, but still the removal was a big %, so I could have saved more (but then you need to tow the car...).

Sure for the knob, just still don't know if I'll modify this one or just swap.
But first I need to remove it! Do you guys have an idea/trick?
It spins freely now...

And thanks for the nice comments!

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Knob

I had that issue. You likely didn't use the right tool to untighten the retaining nut at the bottom so the knob has now separated from the nut inside it. I was able to just pull mine off at that point (be aware you won't be able to reuse the knob), it did take a good yank (I mean pull, not American). And I then was able to use tools to unscrew the part that was stuck. You can get new stock XKR **** on eBay likely in the color you want. I just got a black one and called it a day.

The following users liked this post:
Elgrosso (10-06-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 02:02 AM
Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Great job, it's something that Jaguar should have made at the factory! Perhaps you could add some more detailed photos of those complex shape areas?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:43 AM

Thanks, I know that it's not normal then.
I'll try your way enderle. I saw a few on ebay yes, but I'd prefer to use the exact same leather, so modifying mine.

Sure I'll add some pics later!