XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED bulbs for X100 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default LED bulbs for X100 XK8

Has anyone done an LED conversion on the XK8 or XKR? I kicking the idea around after having installed one in my Triumph Speedmaster.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb RDMinor wants LED's

RDM.....

I have LED High Beams! Had to buy a Headlight conversion Kit from CARiD, about $130.00 and sort' a followed directions....I took the Headlights out on both sides, which made the job easier and while I was doing it, I set the leveler inside the Headlights to raise the low-Beams.. This helps a great deal as the front settles a little over the years and at night I was constantly trying to see out a little farther down the road, "Stretching my Neck"....Also, I bought new HID Bulbs for the low-Beams (The old original HID Bulbs need refreshing after all those years) and that alone gives you probably 20 to 30% more light before you do anything else! After you finish installing the LED Kit, which just replaces the Halogen Bulbs in the same place (You can see the LED Bulb from the Front thru the Glass) and it looks great sticking out into the reflector.
Now, when I go on a trip and I'm driving at night..."Out in the Wide open spaces of Texas", and I hit the "Bright's"! I can see forever!!!!

Best thing I've done for the Coupe!

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
Orthodixie (12-28-2017), RDMinor (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

The tail and brake lights have a current detection circuit to tell whether a bulb is burned out and display the error message on the dash. The readily available "CanBus" bulbs won't take care of it, so there is some extra effort required to work around this annoyance.

This is how I did it:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...on-how-133857/

It's a bit of a game to find the right resistance as it depends on the current draw from the LEDs you use, but with a little trial and error you can get it sorted out.

The following users liked this post:
RDMinor (12-29-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb LED Bulbs in the Tail-lights & now Fog Lights

RD Minor,

I see that our friend Mr. Fulton stepped in to tell you about how to put LED's in the Tail Lights......I spent a year trying to figure out how to make that work and then one day he sent the answer as he has done here! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Mr. Fulton......Mine are working well, after a re-soldering job....

Today, after reading about Oracle's new LED H-1 Fog Light Bulbs, I replaced my last old Halogen Bulbs with them...I was expecting the "Check Lights" warning to "pop up" but true to what I had read, it didn't......so now you can take advantage of LED Fog-Lights from Oracle without changing anything....I think I'm pretty much LED or HID now.......Front and Back! and you can be also! Thanks again to CCFulton.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 12-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Welcome.

No doubt it is all a PITA but, then again, this is a Jag and nothing that looks this good is ever low maintenance.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Default What specific LED lights did you buy?

"Had to buy a Headlight conversion Kit from CARiD, about $130.00 and sort' a followed directions...."

bcprice...I checked CARid and they have enough different bulbs to decorate the White House tree. My question is which ones specifically did you buy?

One of the problems in looking is the differences is description of illuminating power as some just give you a number but don't disclose if that's total for both or a per lamp figure. That gives you a choice of bulbs on the order of 5K lumen PER bulb or as little as 1200 per bulb. I prefer whiter light and some don't bother to say what their rating is.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=bcprice36;1816620]RD Minor,

"I see that our friend Mr. Fulton stepped in to tell you about how to put LED's in the Tail Lights......I spent a year trying to figure out how to make that work and then one day he sent the answer as he has done here! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Mr. Fulton......Mine are working well, after a re-soldering job...."

I think when it comes to soldering electrical circuits I best leave that to someone else (I have a person in mind) since my products turn out sort of like Frankenstein. It is, however, worth doing for better illumination. longer life, and perhaps some lowering of the drain on the electrical system as these cars are operating very close to the edge of blackout all too often.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb Which one is the "Best" Deal?

Originally Posted by RDMinor
"Had to buy a Headlight conversion Kit from CARiD, about $130.00 and sort' a followed directions...."

bcprice...I checked CARid and they have enough different bulbs to decorate the White House tree. My question is which ones specifically did you buy?

One of the problems in looking is the differences is description of illuminating power as some just give you a number but don't disclose if that's total for both or a per lamp figure. That gives you a choice of bulbs on the order of 5K lumen PER bulb or as little as 1200 per bulb. I prefer whiter light and some don't bother to say what their rating is.
Mr. Minor,
I looked over the CARiD site tonight and found that they have updated their Lighting Systems somewhat. But I installed the equivalent of their Lumen G8 Headlight conversation Kit...It is 6500K,6000lm and cost $149.95 and don't you forget the $.95 cents! Go to the CARiD website and find this Kit and down the page you will see several helpful illustrations that will help you with the installation....Also, instructions come in the Box....You don't want to go over 6000lm as the light will tend to become a little Blue! Lumen is a great brand and their LED products are excellent....These Bulbs even have a little fan in them to control the temperature.....If you don't feel comfortable with the install, it would be wise to find some young man who has done this install on his "Rice-Burner".....Also, I'm sure there are shops that sell and install these lights in your Hometown.....

As to the work needed to solder on the Resistors on the Tail light traces, about all I did was order the items that Mr. Fulton listed in his instructions and when it came time to do the soldering, I realized I was way above my head and found a Guy whose hobby is building Radios and Computer stuff...He had a Dremel Tool to grind down to the trace metal before he started Soldering those little resistors on....as Mr. Fulton said...."You've got to have a HOT Iron!" He put one extra Resistor on each Trace....Just to make sure........

I'll send you some Photos of the Front and Rear Lights tomorrow as I will have to shoot them tomorrow as it is after midnight! I've changed my Tail Lights to "Victory-Edition" lens and I think they look "Super" on the Black Coupe...

Hope this helps!
Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 01-01-2018, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb XKR HeadLights both HID and LED Shining Bright!

Mr. Minor,

As I promised last Night, I am sending you Photos of my Front Lights...Hopefully, this will help you in determining what type of lighting you want for your XK8.

My lighting starts with (#1) Philips DTDL's. The Grill or Nose Piece on the 05 - 06 has a small lower grill into which I have fitted this very nice system. They cost around $100. "Bucks"....When the Headlights turn-on the DTRL's automatically Dim to avoid blinding the on coming traffic.

(#2) Photo shows the regular Low Beam LED's and of course the DTRL's in a Dimmed condition and the Fog Lights turned-on.

While (#3) Photo shows if you go all the way to the LED Bright Beams and the Fog Lights go out but the HID Lights continue to shine, as do the dimmed DTRL's!

One last thing, as a favor, What does Mr. Fulton mean when he says, "No doubt this is all a "PITA"!......

Hope this helps you!

Billy Clyde in Houston......

#1. Daytime Running Lights are on anytime the Car is activated, Day or Night

#2. HID Low Beams with Fog Lights and Dimmed Daytime Running Lights

#3. HID Low Beams & LED High Beams and Dimmed Daytime Running Lights...Fog-Lights turn-off Automatically on High Beams

The following users liked this post:
RDMinor (01-01-2018)