XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Left foot braking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Left foot braking?

Love my XK8...yet when I drive it it seems like I have to sit a few degrees off center if I want to brake with the right foot...it requires placing the left thigh pretty much over the seat thigh support. I am a fairly trim 5' 8", 165 Lb man.....don't know how this would work for you larger fellows. Lately I've been using the right foot for accelerator and left foot for braking.

Is this an issue for others? and I know all of the above probably sounds strange to the RH drivers across the pond.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A kindred soul! I'm about your size and have the same experience. It's as if the brake pedal needs to be extended on its right side. I've had my 01 for about a month now, and have yet to get truly comfortable with this aspect of the car.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

I always brake left foot with an automatic.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

I know that some folks drive like that and some even vary--use left foot sometimes and use right foot other times. The only danger is remembering to lift off on the gas so you are not riding the brakes.

Doug

Old 12-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Left foot braking withan Automatic is a BIG no no & should be frowned upon ( who the heck taught you to drive like that ???? I used to drive Double decker buses ( 42' long 8ft wide 9 litre twin turbo diesel with a 7 speed electro/auto box , 90 passengers ,with standees ) When I passed my UK PCV Licence , my Instructor always said " If I ever catch anybody braking with their left foot , I'll cut your effing ! leg off , Your brain isnt clever enough for left leg braking !!!"

Old 12-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Perhaps he was just talking from personal experience?

The following users liked this post:
MFoncerrada8 (12-25-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I don't have a problem here in the UK but I am a bit larger..... However I do have a US car I am working on and I have had a couple of instances when I have gone to brake I have caught the accelerator to...... That can be a little disconcerting

Old 12-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

The alleged instructor is wrong.

Some people use left foot braking quite effectively. And, yes there are also some people who cannot manage two feet properly.

There have been studies showing an advantage in reaction time. A foot hovering over the brake can get on the brake much faster than moving the right foot over. That is a physical truth. Whether some people can manage two feet is a different matter.

Right foot braker here despite the above. But, I am very prone to moving my foot into position over the brake if something up the road doesn't look right.

scm (12-30-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Left foot brake hold at stop while engine revved 1500rpm

then let go, hello faster launch time!

I've only done this about 15 times for amusement. Had not occurred to me during last few instances of other drivers wanting a go...

Old 12-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have 2 pedals and you have 2 feet. Left foot braking works for me.
(Except when I'm driving my 6 speed Miata)

Old 12-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

I ALWAYS use Left Foot Braking on my Auto Transmission Cars.

My everyday car is a 5 Speed Manual Acura CL Coupe.

I NEVER have a issue switching from one to the other!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Just as my brain can easily cope with using the left and right hand for the indicator and wiper stalk functions, it can cope with left foot braking and right foot acceleration.

Hopefully those that can't similarly multi task are well insured or don't use the same roads as me.

Graham

Old 12-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I suspect that a lot of people do as I do. If I am in traffic, or driving around in town with a lot of intersections and cars moving around, I keep my left foot at the ready in case I have to stop quickly, because there is no doubt that you can put the brakes on a little quicker that way, which might prevent an accident. If I am on the interstate or some country road or similar, I tend to use right foot braking and relax my left leg.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

If you are riding a motorcycle and want to change gear you need to coordinate both hands and one foot, if you are braking at the same time you may need to add a second function to the right hand and bring the other foot into play.

Makes coordinating left foot braking childs play.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
GGG (12-25-2013), MFoncerrada8 (12-25-2013)
Old 12-25-2013, 10:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
If you are riding a motorcycle and want to change gear you need to coordinate both hands and one foot, if you are braking at the same time you may need to add a second function to the right hand and bring the other foot into play.

Makes coordinating left foot braking childs play.
It's many years since I rode motorcycles but that sums up the co-ordination logic for me.

Graham

Old 12-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Well this was a surprise. I learned to drive on manual transmission and have never used left foot for anything other than the clutch (except with motorcycles which I drove for years - good point Norri). So I am rather surprised that so many of you use this on a daily basis.

I googled left foot braking and it is much more common than I thought, even recommended as a technique in racing circles. Enjoyed this short article:
Left foot braking

It doesn't feel natural to me....but I will endeavor to persevere...;=) as that is the only way I feel comfortable in the XK8 seat...

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I don't have a problem here in the UK but I am a bit larger.....
I would have thought the larger the person the more uncomfortable they would find the seat (if trying to use right foot for both functions)...does anyone besides me and Marshall have a problem with the XK8 seat?

Old 12-25-2013, 10:44 AM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I tried left-foot braking many years ago, and decided it was an unsafe practice, at least for me.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I have tried left foot braking but don't like it, I guess it is a case of practice, I find I am too heavy and end up braking too hard (normally the heavy foot has more to do with the right ) I was always taught never to do it so I never did.

The only time is to make a fast getaway, brake, build up the revs, and go, not something I would recommend putting unnecessary strain on the engine and torque converter but sometimes needs must......

weisberg (12-27-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

I wish I'd had only cars with an autobox many years ago as then I'd be left-foot braking I reckon.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8
Well this was a surprise. I learned to drive on manual transmission and have never used left foot for anything other than the clutch (except with motorcycles which I drove for years - good point Norri). So I am rather surprised that so many of you use this on a daily basis.

I googled left foot braking and it is much more common than I thought, even recommended as a technique in racing circles. Enjoyed this short article:
Left foot braking

It doesn't feel natural to me....but I will endeavor to persevere...;=) as that is the only way I feel comfortable in the XK8 seat...

I would have thought the larger the person the more uncomfortable they would find the seat (if trying to use right foot for both functions)...does anyone besides me and Marshall have a problem with the XK8 seat?
Count me in. The most comfortable car I ever had was my 95 Corvette. Getting in an out was a pita but once in, the driving position was somehow very comfortable--never got fatigued even on long drives. When I got the Jaguar I had expected the car to be even more comfortable than the Corvette--not so! There is something very weird about the seat with respect to position with the gas pedal, which is exacerbated by the ergonomics of the gas pedal. I have concluded that there is not enough push-back on the gas pedal so instead of naturally resting your foot on it while driving you have to almost hover your foot. With other cars I have driven there was usually enough spring resistance in the pedal so you could comfortably rest the foot on the pedal without resulting in pushing the pedal down. Then the seat itself seems about an inch or so too high for a comfortable driving position. These two things combined result in my frequently getting a leg cramp in my right leg and I have to squirm around into awkward positions to alleviate.

Doug

Quick Reply: Left foot braking?