XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Left foot braking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
There is something very weird about the seat with respect to position with the gas pedal, which is exacerbated by the ergonomics of the gas pedal. I have concluded that there is not enough push-back on the gas pedal so instead of naturally resting your foot on it while driving you have to almost hover your foot. With other cars I have driven there was usually enough spring resistance in the pedal so you could comfortably rest the foot on the pedal without resulting in pushing the pedal down. Then the seat itself seems about an inch or so too high for a comfortable driving position. These two things combined result in my frequently getting a leg cramp in my right leg and I have to squirm around into awkward positions to alleviate.
Exactly right and it applies equally to the X308.

Frequent right leg cramps exacerbated by the hard lump deemed to be "thigh support" in the XJR sport seats. A further contributor is having to keep the right foot at a pigeon-toed angle next to the firewall. Speaking of which, the pedal is so close to the transmission tunnel that the unaware driver can hang the edge of the shoe against the carpet just when gas is needed to complete a pass. Very scary thinking the engine is hanging at that critical moment.

The car can go thousands of miles at speed without any more interruption than refueling. The problem is that the driver can only enjoy the first hour of the trip before excruciating pain is a problem.

Apparently, the above does not apply to RHD vehicles where the gas pedal is next to the pillar instead of the transmission tunnel. If colonials were going to drive these things sitting and driving on the wrong side, then let's make it as uncomfortable as possible.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
GGG (12-26-2013), SteveJacks (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts

I too only ever learned to use my left foot for the clutch. - But here is a handy tip for all: Left foot braking is a requirement when the TPS in the throttle body starts to go and you need to nurse your car home or to a mechanic. But fear not, you'll learn it pretty quickly under those conditions.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,870 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
............... Apparently, the above does not apply to RHD vehicles where the gas pedal is next to the pillar instead of the transmission tunnel. If colonials were going to drive these things sitting and driving on the wrong side, then let's make it as uncomfortable as possible.
I'm happily driving my UK RHD XK on the 'wrong' side of the road in France at the moment. (I'd better explain that I am driving on the correct side of the road over here)

When I see photos of LHD Jaguars, they even look weird so I'm not surprised they are uncomfortable.

Having the steering wheel on the passenger side sounds a bad idea as it means my wife would be driving and that's just terrifying.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 12-27-2013 at 04:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (12-30-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
When I see photos of LHD Jaguars, they even look weird so I'm not surprised they are uncomfortable.

Having the steering wheel on the passenger side sounds a bad idea but it means my wife would be driving and that's just terrifying.
Graham
How odd that we, here in the North American Colonies, have the exactly opposite view.

It must be that there were never any Roman chariot drivers here, who had to drive on the left so they could swing their sword at the oncoming driver.

Lack of tradition, don't you see.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes, you can use the left foot for braking under NORMAL circumstances with no problem. I've done it until one time when things got tense and I hit the accelerator instead of the break and it spoiled my whole day. When things get tense your subconsious mind takes over and sometimes uses a previous action to solve the problem that no longer applies. So if you want to put your car through a store front someday when you are trying to park at the same time your wife is chipping at you just keep right on using your left foot for braking.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
...There is something very weird about the seat with respect to position with the gas pedal, which is exacerbated by the ergonomics of the gas pedal....Doug
Exactly right and it applies equally to the X308.

Frequent right leg cramps exacerbated by the hard lump deemed to be "thigh support" in the XJR sport seats. ....
So true....I use the cruise control more in the XK than I ever have in other cars so as to minimize the use of the pedals... Find myself using the +/- controls to adjust speed whenever I can...

Still trying to get used to the left hand braking...and I still LOVE the car...;=)

Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 6,366 Likes on 5,539 Posts

I'm starting to wonder if I am weirdly put together. I have never had any pedal problems maybe I'm British shaped?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I'm starting to wonder if I am weirdly put together. I have never had any pedal problems maybe I'm British shaped?
Long arms?

The pedal position could be bearable with the seat further back. But then left foot braking becomes a must because the steering wheel is too far even when fully extended

Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Default Xj...xjr

Exactly right and it applies equally to the X308....
I have a 2001 XJ (I'm missing the R ;=) and don't have a big problem with the seating position...the thigh support on the XK is the main culprit in making the seat uncomfortable for me - in the skewed position that the pedals dictate.

I believe the XJR has firmer thigh support in the seats, so I can see how that would be the case for you.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I, personally, don't use left foot braking, but have you noticed the people that do it incorrectly? I frequently find myself following people with their brake lights flashing on and off. They are not slowing down, so, I assume they are riding the brakes. This is frustrating to me, as a follower, but in addition, surely it's not too good for the brake pads either. I am not opposed, just do it correctly, please.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Friarshuck
I, personally, don't use left foot braking, but have you noticed the people that do it incorrectly? I frequently find myself following people with their brake lights flashing on and off. They are not slowing down, so, I assume they are riding the brakes. This is frustrating to me, as a follower, but in addition, surely it's not too good for the brake pads either. I am not opposed, just do it correctly, please.

LOL....will try my best to do it right....even though I won't be anywhere near Nebraska!!! Actually, I am starting to get used to it....definitely a more comfortable seating position.

Cheers

Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8
LOL....will try my best to do it right....even though I won't be anywhere near Nebraska!!! Actually, I am starting to get used to it....definitely a more comfortable seating position.

Cheers
I have read, on another forum, that no-one ever goes to Nebraska.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

That is certainly not true. I, and several others I know, are still trying to escape. ha