XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Left headlight mounting bracket - 1999 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Left headlight mounting bracket - 1999 XK8

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a 1999 XK8 convertible (signature pic) and I have found several items that need attention. One I am including in this post is the 'mounting bracket' for the left front headlight assembly. I am including the pics for the right side assembly identifying the part but I have no way to try to find it. Any "parts" help would definitely be appreciated.

This is my first Jaguar and I have extremely little knowledge of Jaguars. I am in Southeast Texas (Beaumont). I will post future items that I need assistance with. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Received 4,339 Likes on 3,749 Posts

Wes - info posted below. SNG Barratt's has a great site you can use to find part number info - then search for cheapest part. SNG, jagbits and Coventry West are forum sponsors and not sure about Coventry but SNG & jagbits offer a 10% discount to forum members https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...20~2F%20XKR/11

Headlamp Mounting Bracket
$40.91

Product Code:

LJA4660AE

Part Type:

Standard

Stock Status

Special Order Goods - Estimated lead time 5 - 7 days

Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Just a locating mount for side of headlight

As a big fan of zero dollar repairs, I would note this bracket is just a locating mount for the headlight units side that allows a sliding alignment.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Default Try a home made spacer to get the right length

Not wishing to criticise anyone keeping the car original but thin plastic isn’t great in the engine bay.

I would imagine a cut piece of rubber etc or even wood would serve the same purpose

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (08-24-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM

First...thanks to each of you for replying so quickly!

David, if the bracket is a 'locating mount', what holds the headlight assemble in place. The assembly had been 'pushed backwards in a "minor bumper" mishap, so I was told which broke this particular bracket. When I took the assembly out, there were no other points that it is attached to the frame/cavity. Now I am more than curious to see the right side and understand what holds the assembly in place.

Steve, Thanks for the parts site. I am sure I will be using it.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Default Fixings for the XK8 Headlamp Lense

The main headlamp fixing is a T40 bolt on the bottom of the unit which should prevent any forward/back movement. There's a top T30 outboard securing screw and the inboard side screw, you know about, which control the lateral side to side alignment.

Check out the pics in the attached "How To" Guide for replacing a headlamp lens on a XK8 - courtesy of DCR Autoparts. Dave R, in the UK, is my go to guy for my weird parts requests - one of which was to change out the front half of the head lamp unit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Johnken (08-24-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Wow! This will be a great document to help me. It appears I have a bigger problem than I thought as the whole assembly was completely loose in the cavity, likely all the securing points were broken in whatever mishap occurred.

When I removed it the only 'obstructions' to getting the whole assembly out was to remove the connection plug for the electronics..... I did not have to get under the front end or remove any other bolts/screws. I have a bit of work to do to replace..... Appreciate your input. I will work on it and give an update...

Old 06-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Realjwc,

Considering the difficulties in access for the T40 bottom bolt, I would not be surprised if a Previous Owner (PO) just gave up on the T40 bolt, and hence the situation you find yourself in. As the PDF document says, an adjustment levering bracket to help align the T40. Maybe the PO didn't know that.

On the other hand, the plastic bits in our car are 20 years old, and I also wouldn't be surprised if the headlamp's bottom plastic base's receiving thread had broken in a previous incident. It's a significant T40 size bolt that fixes the car to the plastic headlamp unit.

Good luck and report back with whatever you find. Where's there's a will, there's a way. ....... Plus you may need some spare cash for parts.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

That torx bolt underneath is a real pain. Mine are out and staying that way! Also if your car does not have headlamp washers then its a simple affair to get the headlamp in and out. However if you do have headlamp washers it can be a pain. If you need advice to remove let me know.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 PM

thanks..... but how do I know if mine has headlamp washers? I have the assembly out and am repairing the top bracket where T30 goes but still have to manufacture the "locating mount" attachment. Since I am not into making this one original condition, just a sound ride, I will figure out how to make the attachment. Looking at it when I got the pieces out, I am not sure how it would even go back in...very easily.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Received 4,339 Likes on 3,749 Posts

if you have headlight washers - there is a small triangular piece on the bottom of each headlight

Old 06-13-2019, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Default Headlamp powerwash unit

Realjwc,

Youtube link below for demonstration of the headlamp power wash
This shows the triangular mirror piece Sklimii referred to.

Here's a couple of pictures of the headlamp dis-assembled showing the power wash unit (circled in red) - that's if you have it.

If you have it - the powerwash unit has a triangular plastic flange that clips into the bottom of the plastic headlamp unit. If the previous owner has taken it out, it should have been disabled at the pump, otherwise every 6th time, the windscreen wiper washers are used, there'll be a squirt of water somewhere.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Mine does not have the headlight washer......Thanks!!

I'll update when I get the headlight assembly back installed and let you know how it went!

Old 06-25-2019, 07:11 PM

I haven't been able to work on the headlight but is in the plan this week. I am planning on replacing the T40 bolt as it appears that is the main one to secure the assembly in place, my only problem is finding the replacement bolt. I assume (yikes) that a torx bolt the same size would work if I can come up with one as I have not found an outlet for the actual Jaguar torx bolt except one site from overseas for a $2 bolt.

DavidYau (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on getting the torx bolt out. Your the first one I have seen thats been able to do that.

My recommendation is do not replace it. Both my headlights are now without the bolt and are in solid. If you replace it you will only be creating problems for yourself later.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 PM

Thank you Frank........ The two places where the assembly attaches are both in need of repair and I am going to try to repair them (epoxy) and see if they will hold with bolts. I went ahead and purchased the correct plastic bracket shown in the right assembly picture above but am concerned that the age and brittleness of the assembly will just break. I hope epoxy repair will work thoroughly and I won't have to install the bottom T40.

Appreciate the input from those of you who have experience, I'll post the final assembly.

Cheers!
Wes

DavidYau (06-26-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:26 PM

Ordered the correct connector, came from overseas, $45 USD, epoxy'd the "fork" area as well as the top T-30 bolt connector and reinstalled.... ( I left out the lower T-40 bolt...haha)

The following 3 users liked this post by realjwc:
cjd777 (08-24-2019), DavidYau (08-23-2019), Johnken (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Nicely done

Originally Posted by realjwc
Thank you Frank........ The two places where the assembly attaches are both in need of repair and I am going to try to repair them (epoxy) and see if they will hold with bolts. I went ahead and purchased the correct plastic bracket shown in the right assembly picture above but am concerned that the age and brittleness of the assembly will just break. I hope epoxy repair will work thoroughly and I won't have to install the bottom T40.

Appreciate the input from those of you who have experience, I'll post the final assembly.

Cheers!
Wes
Well done David. Pleased you got it sorted. I knew if anyone could do you you could.