XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Is this a lifter or a coil pack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a lifter or a coil pack?

I have been trying to figure out the cause for this sound for a few months now. Hoping it's not the Timing chain tensioners. My dad, that is a mechanic, says that it may be a lifter. I think it may be a coil pack. I saw a video of a GM motor with a VERY similar ticking/tapping sound, and it was a plug wire that was not on the coil. I know that it's a little different for the XK8, where it is a coil pack. If it is a coil pack issue, I cant take it off without a bolt extractor, that I haven't purchased yet. A previous owner/mechanic rounded out the bolts on most of the coil pack bolts, so I'm going to need a full set of new bolts. I found these when I tried to change my own sparkplugs. Couldn't even do that lol.

Attached Files
File Type: wav
VID20240417144735 (1).wav (3.88 MB, 51 views)
Old 04-23-2024, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,156 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Barcano
I have been trying to figure out the cause for this sound for a few months now. Hoping it's not the Timing chain tensioners. My dad, that is a mechanic, says that it may be a lifter. I think it may be a coil pack. I saw a video of a GM motor with a VERY similar ticking/tapping sound, and it was a plug wire that was not on the coil. I know that it's a little different for the XK8, where it is a coil pack. If it is a coil pack issue, I cant take it off without a bolt extractor, that I haven't purchased yet. A previous owner/mechanic rounded out the bolts on most of the coil pack bolts, so I'm going to need a full set of new bolts. I found these when I tried to change my own sparkplugs. Couldn't even do that lol.
I would actually be starting at the serpentine belt and tensioners. Certainly doesn't sound like a big deal.

The following users liked this post:
RichardS (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

I had similar came and went ...no so prevalent in winter ..0 deg C so changed oil for 10w40 and it went though it does sound more like a lifter than piston slap.
try a mechanics stethoscope. turn the radio up.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:44 AM
Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Barcano
Mine makes the exact same noise. After sleuthing I found it seems to be coming from cylinder 8. It sounds for all the world like a lifter tick. We thought perhaps it was an exhaust manifold leak so I disassembled the exhaust and did a smoke test up the left cat. Nothing. More research. This engine uses the infernal micro-shims for valve lifter adjustment. The genius mechanic who was employed by the previous owner replaced the heads and I strongly suspect he didn't quite get the shim stack correct on that one cylinder. Don't know if it's exhaust or intake.

More research. Jag has a tool, hard to find, about $300US, that will depress a valve so that you can remove and replace shims. Then you use a long feeler gauge to check. It's that or pull off the camshaft and re-rime the engine, I suppose.

I tried 5W-40 oil, and some Liqui-Moly Viscoplus. Didn't help a bit.

So, I guess I'll just live with it. Engine performance doesn't see to be affected at all.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:12 AM
Received 448 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KJag
Mine makes the exact same noise. After sleuthing I found it seems to be coming from cylinder 8. It sounds for all the world like a lifter tick. We thought perhaps it was an exhaust manifold leak so I disassembled the exhaust and did a smoke test up the left cat. Nothing. More research. This engine uses the infernal micro-shims for valve lifter adjustment. The genius mechanic who was employed by the previous owner replaced the heads and I strongly suspect he didn't quite get the shim stack correct on that one cylinder. Don't know if it's exhaust or intake.

More research. Jag has a tool, hard to find, about $300US, that will depress a valve so that you can remove and replace shims. Then you use a long feeler gauge to check. It's that or pull off the camshaft and re-rime the engine, I suppose.

I tried 5W-40 oil, and some Liqui-Moly Viscoplus. Didn't help a bit.

So, I guess I'll just live with it. Engine performance doesn't see to be affected at all.
Just to add that removing the cam cover is not too difficult (although cylinder 8 on bank 2, left-hand side, is slightly trickier than bank 1 and a 1/4 inch socket set with a U/J adapter is useful) so you could check the clearances.

If you decide to re-shim, it's not difficult to unbolt the camshaft and move it to one side to access the buckets. Just put a couple of cable ties around the chain and sprocket and lock then together to ensure that you cannot lose the valve timing.

Richard

Y2KJag (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 09:23 AM
Received 293 Likes on 219 Posts

Are you sure it's not the variable valve timing - mine makes that noise. Can you 'feel' the noise as a tapping when you put your hand on the cam cover?

Old 04-24-2024, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

you want 10w40 or 15 w 40 to kill it not 5 w 40

Old 04-25-2024, 09:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's one of the primary timing chain stretched and hitting one of the guide its not harmful because these chains rarely break if you will do the tensioners replace the chain that's stretched I believe tsubaki makes them or iwis
​​​​

Old 04-26-2024, 11:34 AM
Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
you want 10w40 or 15 w 40 to kill it not 5 w 40
Thanks. I'll switch to one of those on the next oil change.

Old 04-26-2024, 02:39 PM
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Replace the timing chains and tensioners. This should quell any "hazardous" noise. I would also replace the coil packs. This will narrow down any noses to the other source(s). If you still hear the noise, take it to a qualified mechanic for an appropriate diagnosis.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:19 PM
Received 448 Likes on 292 Posts

There is so much that can be done to track down the source of the noise and rule out any serious issues without spending a single penny.

Start cheap before you go expensive. 👍

Richard

Y2KJag (04-28-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by captainobvious1
Replace the timing chains and tensioners. This should quell any "hazardous" noise. I would also replace the coil packs. This will narrow down any noses to the other source(s). If you still hear the noise, take it to a qualified mechanic for an appropriate diagnosis.
I would disagree. There is no quicker way to fall out of love with a car than by emptying your wallet by firing the parts cannon at it. That's not a viable alternative to diagnosing and repairing.

Y2KJag (04-28-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 06:59 PM
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
I would disagree. There is no quicker way to fall out of love with a car than by emptying your wallet by firing the parts cannon at it. That's not a viable alternative to diagnosing and repairing.
I got smart and changed the guides/tensioners/chains right off the bat. I also had the plugs replaced, along with a plastic intake pipe and MAF sensor. this made all the difference in the world. A qualified Jaguar mechanic is worth his/her weight in gold.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Definitely sounds like a fuel injector tick. Normal noise.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Just bought a 2001 XKR the other day that sounds exactly like this! Has been sitting several years so my first move is to change the oil (which is dirty) with Castrol 5-40w or 10-40w. I also plan on putting in new ignition coils and spark plugs. At the moment it still sounds like a diesel truck

Old 05-07-2024, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by JagWRLD
Just bought a 2001 XKR the other day that sounds exactly like this! Has been sitting several years so my first move is to change the oil (which is dirty) with Castrol 5-40w or 10-40w. I also plan on putting in new ignition coils and spark plugs. At the moment it still sounds like a diesel truck
Was it sat with fuel in the tank? If so, have you drained and replaced it?

Old 05-07-2024, 11:24 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Was it sat with fuel in the tank? If so, have you drained and replaced it?
It has sat with the fuel tank, and now that I think about it, a 3/4 tank of fuel…