XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

limited editions and other ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default limited editions and other ramblings

Hello,
I am shopping for my second XK. My first one was a silver 98 XK8 in perfect condition which got stolen and trashed which taught me the practical application of KBB; I got pretty much what the private party retail value was.

That brings me to my first point. I see a lot of people asking way over KBB for their cars. I get it that an owner always thinks his/her car is much more worth but sometimes it's just too much. My personal favorite is a 2000 XK8 Coupe from Canada which is on ebay for the past year and half. I saw it when I was shopping for my first XK8 and now it is still on ebay. He is asking $18,000. Ebay listings are what? $50 or $100 for 7 days? Crazy.

Another one is people declaring their cars as "limited editions". Here is a dealer in Denver:
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1522753318.html
and one in Cherry Hill:
http://cherryhillautosales.net/

Both cars have standard interior and I don't think they are limited editions at all. Don't all of the limited editions have black dashboards and all leather steering wheels amongst more invisible upgrades. Is this considered false advertising?
One seller on craigslist stated that his car has the "super button" which makes it go much faster.

So mostly I am looking at craigslist (453 listings nationwide for XK8 including multiple listings), ebay (97) listings, and traderonline. All other classifieds I found had listings with unreasonable prices.

Other observations are that the bronze/gold color seems to be the least desirable, every one knows to avoid the red ones (tickets!), the silver ones are plenty, and the US seems to have gotten the bulk of the convertibles. I checked a british classified and over there you can't get the convertibles. They seemed to have gotten all the coupes. Too bad that the Brits have the steering wheel on the wrong side

I am also sad to see that early XK8s seem to have the same destiny as my beloved XJs. They lose value too quickly, get in the hands of non-enthusiasts and are treated sacrilegiously with ghetto rims and sheepskin seat covers.

Fortunately I am not in a hurry even though I miss my XK8. To all of you a happy new year!

Mark

Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Why are you anointing yourself as the authority on what prices should be? You are obviously spending a lot of time browsing around for these so keep on looking until you find the right one for yourself.

Just saying.

Doug

Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been watching that black 2000 from Canada on e-bay also. It seems like that car is one every week for the last two or three years. The guy never lowers his price, same old pictures, etc. There has to be something wrong with that car. He probably would have saved a fortune in e-bay fees if he only lowered his price a little. Crazy???

Old 12-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default crazy theory

this guy from canada might have set up some automatic ebay re-listing and simply forgot about it. Or he died and now this car will be re-listed until the end of times.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Or a scam listing........just saying!