XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Location of Battery Vent Hole

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default “L” Attachment for Battery Vent Hose

Apologies for being a bit late to this discussion.

Recently, acquired a 2006 S-Type. Upon changing out the battery, I discovered the battery vent line, still attached to the body grommet insert but not the battery. Missing was the “L” shaped piece that attached the vent line to the vent hole in the battery.

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the battery vent hole or the size of the “L” shaped piece required to attach the vent line to the battery? I have searched many parts sites online and have yet to find this “L” shaped piece.

Given my inability to find the original part, my best choice is to find another “L” shaped piece of the same size.

Kind regards,

Bob

Originally Posted by thom4782
Thanks for the comments.

I was able to confirm the 1" to 1 1/2" grommet with the small in the center was the vent outlet. Finding the parts to make up the missing pieces of the vent line assembly was a bit more challenging. The L fitting and tube that I found in the trunk well fit the battery's front vent port and ran to the exit. To vent the rear battery port, I needed another L fitting, a T filling and about 3 feet of hose. With two stops at different parts stores, I had what I needed.

To make up the new assembly, I did the following:
  • I removed the battery hold down bracket
  • With the original tube's L fitting in the front battery vent port, I cut the original tube about 1" past the end of the battery
  • Next, I attached the other end to the cut line to open end of the top of the T fitting and then inserted open end of the original line out through the grommet port
  • Then to the remaining open end of the T, I attached the new line, ran it parallel along the side of the battery around the corner to the battery's rear vent port.
  • I then cut new line to length while leaving a reasonable amount of slack.
  • Next, I attached open end of the long tub to the new L fitting and inserted the L fitting into the battery's rear vent port
  • Lastly, I reinstalled the battery hold down bracket.

To Graham's post, the fix described above is for those batteries where the blanking plugs are already removed / missing. Thanks for the tip on the AGM batteries.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:16 AM
Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

Any aftermarket supplier such as Dorman has these tubes and L pipes as a packaged item in most parts stores or online.

Just make sure to also plug the extra hole on the other side of the battery.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

Go to any of the big box stores that sell batteries (Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc.). They can either sell you one of the L-shaped vent connectors for a nominal amount or perhaps just give you one from an old core battery stored in the back waiting to be recycled....

Whenever I turn in a core exchange vented battery, I remove and keep that connector. You never know when you will need one....

The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
motorcarman (10-25-2022), Pantera928 (11-28-2022), waltwagner (02-10-2023)