XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Locking the crank via alternative methods (to the proper tool)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Locking the crank via alternative methods (to the proper tool)

Today i decided to tackle torqueing up the crank bolt without the recommended tool, mainly because i'm skint till early December.

Blackonyx's article on timing chain renewal ( in the DIY repair & maintenance section ) mentions that he used a pry bar through the driveshaft via the transmission access hole.

The JTIS recommends using a lever against a torque converter boss, so it seems i was spoilt for choice really

Unfortunately i couldn't see past the torque converter housing through the transmission aperture ( piccy 1 ) to wedge anything in the driveshaft, and i don't have a prybar, so i had to "improvise".

I found a hollow aluminium pole of about the right length for what i had in mind ( using a piece of wood under an axle stand as a brace ) and flattened one end of it to an oval shape to wedge in the the torque converter boss.

The aluminium pole wasn't quite up to the job, but it did get me to over 350NM before it gave up and bent.

So now, after much addue, come the questions.

Has anyone got any pictures of a prybar used in the correct places ( and supported by a jack ) to lock the crank without doing anything any damage?

Or perhaps, pictures of a lever used in the correct way to the same end?

Slim hope on the pictures i know, but they are worth so many words by way of explanation, so it's got to be worth a try.

Also. i marked the bolt at 80NM and from pic 3, the turn from there was around 180 deg.
The top mark is where the bottom mark was at 80NM

Pictures 4 & 5 just show what i was up to, and whereabouts, for anyone thinking of using the torque converter to lock the crank.

In fact that's why i've posted. To get these methods cracked, with pictures, for others, so any input on the correct use of these methods would be welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Locking the crank via alternative methods (to the proper tool)-img_0566.jpg   Locking the crank via alternative methods (to the proper tool)-img_0630.jpg   Locking the crank via alternative methods (to the proper tool)-img_0628.jpg   Locking the crank via alternative methods (to the proper tool)-img_0616.jpg   Locking the crank via alternative methods (to the proper tool)-img_0617.jpg  

Last edited by Roadhogg; 12-05-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Deleting unnecessary info