XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

looking at a 97 xk8

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: looking at a 97 xk8

I've had my xk8 for almost 1 year now, and I still sit next to a window at the fast food joints so I can liesurely gaze at her...I love it that much still!

Window down, then up on closing...yup, its great! That's how they get such a good seal on that top. Genius if you ask me!

I like the nav system in the car, after owning a Tom Tom for a couple years, I like that the system tells you audibly which road you are turning on, and it knows what side of the road your destination is on (based on the addy being even or odd). Tom Tom didn't even know that.

I like the separate Bass/Treble adjustments for the different functions. Radio gets one setting, CD gets another. I assume (though never tried) the tape player gets another.

Turn the key on the door lock and it will activate the convertible top and put it down for you. However, it will not put it up...lazy pants.

One touch, no user involvement on the convertible top (not counting the boot as extra effort). My prior verts had to have latches manually turned when the top reached the closed position.

Auto sensing windshield wipers, very cool.

Button on your key remote for turning on your headlamps.

Rides stiffer than my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, so longer drives are not as comfy, but still managable. I do 3.5 hour jaunts to nearby metroplexes on business, and she's a blast to drive. In town, the streets may feel more bumpy than usual, but not shake-the-wheel-from-your-hand-stiff-over-every-crack like a viper I once drove. Crazy stiff that car was!! For a daily driver, I love taking it every day on the 20minute drive on the loop. It's a great compromise to a sportscar vs luxury car. On a scale from 1 to 10 on the comfort ride, 10 being a cadillac, i'd say this jag is a 7.

I like the fact that the newer jags can be maintained by oneself, at least to some degree, i.e, brake job and rotor replacement done by myself. My Valvoline quick lube can even do the oil changes (synthetic all the way of course) but they told me they turn away older jags because they don't have the special tool they need to remove the filter. Mine is more maintainable. Ford influence here, I suppose.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but there are numerous other things I like about mine. If you get 2003 and up, you also get Xenon auto-leveling headlamps and the reverse assistance (BEEP_BEEP_BEEP)

CAVEAT - don't know about pre 2003 xk models on many of these features.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Weird things like - no locking/unlocking button! You have to pull the door handle out to unlock the passenger door. I don't know how many times i've frustrated the girlfriend by making stand outsider her door while I found some way to unlock it. lol

A button on the instrument cluster that turns on the rear brake lights...permenantly! (when lights are turned on, of course) Is this for extra illumination when backing up or something?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought mine about a month ago and I like it ...a lot. The wife loves it, too. Mine usually doesn't start on the first try but it runs great. It had some tranny work (don't know why problems with trannys in 97's), tensioners replaced, so I thought what the hey. All the problems have been fixed. It's also my first Jag (D-types out of my price range and no place for the wife). It's a daily driver for me and like H2O said they are built for style not for pure comfort or whether you can do burn outs (need xkr for burn outs). They are electrically quirky (you gotta reteach the computer when dead battery or battery change) but with help from the forum I'm getting along nicely. For the price I paid it's a nice starter Jag and I've always wanted a conv.

Oh yeah, run it in sport mode every so often to give the tranny a memory of how you drive. It's helped the everyday shifting in mine.

I'm new too, so hope I helped.

H2O, I tried the door key/ conv top thing... that is cool. Now I just need to figure out the valet thing.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I just bought a '97 XK8 yesterday. For waht I paid for this car vs what I sold my C5 Vette for I made out like a bandit. Need to figure out what the heck the button on the console next to the 'sport' transmission mode is for. Worn so can't tell what the symbol 'was' but looks like a clock. Can anyone tell me. Just gotta' start playing with things I guess but she drives great and rock solid. Goes to Tijuana tomorrow for a 5 foot paint job.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Congratulations! Check in at the new member area in the attached link and you will get lots of help that will allow you to enjoy your car even when you arent driving it.

That button you ask about is the on/off for the cruise control. It allows the steering wheel buttons to be functional.

Make sure to also check out the sticky on what to look for on buying a used XK8.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

Jac

Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine is not a daily driver, so I cannot comment on that.

I have found the handling on the NC back roads extremely good. Performance it not bad considering its age, but the XK8 is a true GT car, and not a sports car.

H20boy - I can get the top up and down with the key. Also, the Keyfob will unlock the passenger door if you press it twice. The rear "brake lights" are fog lights. You can switch the front and back on and off independantly from each other. (The old BMW's were like that as well)

Padrino - The button you are referring to is the Cruise Control on/off switch.

I cannot think of nifty features, except that the steering can be set to move in and up to help you get out of the car.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the Vette-to-Jag transition too, and I have to say the Jag is much better than I expected. It does not have the " throw you back in your seat" off the line torque of a Corvette, but if you're cruising 60mph down the interstate and nail it you hit 100mph in a blink. It has power, but the power band is different I guess.

Since you're a C5 guy, I would compare this most closely to my stock 1998 convertible, a nice comfortable ride and power when you need it. To touch my 2002 Z06 I think you'd have to buy an XKR (and we won't even talk about my 650hp modified Vette with nitrous, that one was just stupid ). I find the suspension makes for a much smoother ride than a Vette, it glides over RR tracks instead of shaking your teeth loose. It does have its quirks, but so do Vettes. I've been daily driving mine for about a year now (bought it with 85k miles, now at 103,000) and it has not failed me yet mechanically - I think I have developed a coolant leak I need to look into and my #2 seat memory is tempermental, but no calling AAA yet! I also love the leather and wood interior (and that Jag smell - you just want to pour a brandy and curl up with a good book), the Nav is great even if not totally up-to-date, and the Alpine audiophile system kicks the butt of any Bose unit I have ever owned. I think you'll find the Jag is a hell of a deal for the price!

Now I'm not totally cured of my Vette obsession, I have a 71 convertible being built, and if I figure out how to rob a few banks I will be first in line for a C7 Vette. But I'm also craving other Jags, so that says something.

Last edited by badkitty2000; 03-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.