XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Looking for the serpentine belt part number for my x100 99 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 11:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Looking for the serpentine belt part number for my x100 99 XKR

Hi there,

The Serpetine belt on my 99 XKR (x100) has been squeaking for a long time now when cold, so i decided to tackle the job and replace it. Hopefully no need to replace the tensioner as it was already replaced 40k km ago (should last 180k km according to the xk8 bible)

Can someone please point me to the right part number for the 4.0 XKR (supercharged) ? I started looking but it seems there's different part numbers for early / mid and later models + the aftermarket parts from Gates, Dayco etc i'm a little confused about which one to choose.

My best guess is this one but i'm not quite sure : https://www.britishparts.co.uk/class...371/belt-p5865
My vin number is 031xxx , i know the part is written on the belt itself in the car but depending on the moment you stop the engine it can be visible or not, already tried 3 or 4 times without luck

Also if you have any feedback about the brand to choose (Oem, Dayco, Gates) all are good brands but if someone tried them it's still valuable info.

Thanks !

Old 12-28-2020, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

JEPC gives just 2 numbers:

NCA2211CA (which is likely what is on your car if original) is superseded by NCA2211DA, and both it and the one for non-supercharged motors are available as OEM, so presumably there is some difference other than the much higher cost of the DA.

My original NCA2211AC belt is also marked 7K2327: I replaced it with a Gates 7PK2345 which, on the face of it, is 18mm too long, but the tensioner belt stretch indicator sits pretty much where it should and I've had no issues.

A search on the DA shows quite a few equivalents. I think you'll be fine with any of the reputable brands such as Dayco, Gates, etc.

Check the idler pulley when you take the belt off as IMO 100K miles is an optimistic lifespan. Mine was grumbling at 30K and they're cheap PM.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,390 Likes on 2,866 Posts

I went with a new Gates serpentine belt in July 2018. Perfect fit and no issues with it at all. Removing the radiator fan assembly did make for a much easier belt removal/installation process....

Old 12-28-2020, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

the squeaking is more likely an idler pulley than a belt, but excess mileage, or visible wear, are both indicative of belt replacement too.

Z

Old 12-28-2020, 08:51 AM

Thanks to both of you, is it the same part number for XK8 and XKRs ? Weird cause the latter has a supercharger to drive too so is presumably longer ?
@Jon89 What part number did you use for your gates belt ? is it a NCA2211CA like suggested by @michaelh ?

I'm also planning to remove the fan assembly to make it easier on me, saw a video from @johndee on his youtube channel that shows the procedure, seems relatively easy and this way i can clean the radiator and the fans, never did this during my 3 years of ownership.

@michaelh Is JPEC a catalog database or is it a software that can diagnose error codes and co with an obd2 adapter ?

Thanks
Ryan

Old 12-28-2020, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by zray
the squeaking is more likely an idler pulley than a belt, but excess mileage, or visible wear, are both indicative of belt replacement too.

Z
Yes it may be the pulley too, but it has been changed 40k km ago (no mention of the belt being changed in the history though, just the pulley)

The indicator on the tensioner is slightly past the "you need to change something" so it's one or the other. The belt stops squeaking when i spray water on it, and it also stops squeaking when the engine is not cold so i'm guessing the rubber heats up a little bit.

I'm going to try the belt first and then change the pulley if it doesn't stop the squeaking. The belt has visible wear on it, i wouldn't say it's in a bad shape but clearly not new and i have no mention in the car history that it has ever been changed though it probably has been (mileage of the car is 160k km)

Last edited by Ryan B; 12-28-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

The supercharger has its own belt

Old 12-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Ryan B,

My wife has a 2006 XK8. Your XKR may require a different serpentine belt. I installed a Gates K060910....

Old 12-28-2020, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan B
Thanks to both of you, is it the same part number for XK8 and XKRs ?
No - as above - NCA2211AC or equivalent for the XK8, NCA2211DA (supersession to the NCA2211CA) for the XKR. The part numbers are very similar.
I imagine that they will be of equal length as the route is the same. I'm not sure beyond that other than the pricing, and there is a distinction made by some vendors.

Yes it may be the pulley too, but it has been changed 40k km ago (no mention of the belt being changed in the history though, just the pulley)
You referred to the tensioner - my suggestion is for the separate idler pulley adjacent to the alternator. The same part may be used for both pulleys. Dayco 89016, Gates 38028...

Is JPEC a catalog database or is it a software that can diagnose error codes and co with an obd2 adapter ?
It's a Jaguar parts catalogue - available courtesy of androulakis via the stickies which will point you here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...52/#post289122

Last edited by michaelh; 12-28-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:27 PM

Sorry i confused AC with CA...
Here in France prices are cheap for the DA, theres Bosch, Continental and Gates brands from 15 to 20€ which is very affordable. IThanks for your help @michaelh

Old 12-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,060 Posts

FWIW, I usually take screeching belt noises as a sign of contamination. Have you double checked the water pump is not leaking? I suppose there could be other sources as well, like power steering fluid, oil, etc. You might want to try and see if a strong degreaser would clean things up, at least for a while.

The other standard test is to remove the belt and rotate all pulleys by hand to check for play, roughness, noise, etc., and replace accordingly. There is also some discussion about the shape of the tensioner pulley (with or without a lip on the edge). Not sure all combinations of belt and pulley are meant to work together.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:17 AM

Thanks @fmertz
AFAIK there's no leak anywhere, the front end of the engine is rather greasy but the car is 22yo now so i'm not too worried about it, i'll take the opportunity of changing that belt to clean the front part of the engine and also the radiator fans.

Good advice for the pulleys, i'll check for movement in the aternator, powersteering, aircon and so on, that would be the perfect time to do it.
I've checked the belt again visually yesterday and it's showing signs of wear (little cracks all over) so it's still my best bet to where that squaking come from (as i said in a previous post, spraying tap water on it does stop the squeaking for a second or two)

In order, that would be :

1- Just the belt
2- Belt + Tensioner
3- Belt + some pulley

So i'll just go with the belt for now as i can purchase the other parts if necessary. Thanks for your help,
Ryan

Old 12-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

My experience with any serpentine belt in any vehicle has been this: Whenever a couple of ounces of water squirted onto the belt immediately silences the noise for a few seconds, the issue is simply that the belt needs to be replaced....

The following users liked this post:
zray (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 01:53 PM

Fingers crossed

Old 12-29-2020, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,060 Posts

the front end of the engine is rather greasy
Honestly, I would start there. Get one of those cans of engine foam degreaser. Spray liberally wherever you see grease. Rinse with water as hot as you can get it. Once clean, drive some more and check again for any sign of new leaks. Chances are there is a leak at the valve cover, or worse, somewhere along the front cover. Double check those aging oil cooler lines if you have them. There is also a standard spot where the power steering high pressure line leaks. Coolant leaking through the weep hole of the water pump also counts as part of the usual suspects. My understanding is that there is no cleaning/recovering a contaminated belt, it has to be replaced. I know they are not super expensive, but why do the work twice.

Obviously, your car, your call. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by fmertz; 12-29-2020 at 02:56 PM. Reason: _Y_our car, your call. The car was never ours!
Old 12-29-2020, 02:49 PM

Yes @fmertz that makes sense, i've already noticed some very light leaks from the valve cover but all cars eventually have them because of normal wear of the gasket...
What i'm going to do is :

- Remove the radiator fan and do some cleaning
- Change the belt (just ordered a NCA2211DA compatible one from Bosch for 23€ which is around $30) didn't go for the Gates cause it's a little longer than the others, no idea why.
- Check the pulleys and tensioner for play or jiggle in them
- Degrease as much as i can so i can monitor in the future if there's a slow leak somewhere or if it's just normal for a 160k km engine

If no pulley is involved then the problem should be solved immediately, if not then some pulley / tensioner is faulty and i can still change it afterwards. If it's Ok immediately but starts squeaking again after a while and notice some sludge or oil again then it's a contamination problem.

For now i'm going with occam's razor, the simpliest answer is often the right one and in my case, the tensioner mark is past beyond the Ok zone.

Will keep you posted guys, thanks for the help and happy new year from France

Last edited by Ryan B; 12-29-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:53 PM

Update : checked my belt tonight and it's a Jaguar branded NCA2211DA so has probably been changed.
Question : are you guys aware of an indactor to change the supercharger belt ? As @zray pointed out in his message the belt is different (I thought it was the same) so not sure if i have to change it or not.

Also read that i had to do a coolant flush in order to remove the fan assembly because a water pipe was in the way ? Please note that this seems to be the case only for the XKR with the supercharger, XK8 are easier.
Thanks

Old 12-31-2020, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

does this help, ? This is a what I have in my spare parts bin for the supercharger:

Continental OE Technology Series 4080515 8-Rib, 51.5" Multi-V Belt
Amazon Amazon

accessory belt :

Continental 4070923 OE Technology Series 7-Rib, 92.3" Multi-V Belt
Amazon Amazon

Z