XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

It looks like my xk8 has a dying tranny again. ZF and Jag will not see my business

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016 | 05:09 PM
|

Originally Posted by Gus
The transmission has a valve body ( that is your shifting) that takes command from the transmission control module (TCM) that takes commands from the shifter selector and all is directed by the engine control module. You put it in gear “D” the TCM says ok you want to go forward. The TCM talks to the valve body and the transmission is ready to go. When you accelerate the ECM and TCM are talking and making the decision on when to shift based on the engine conditions and RPM and a few other things. Along with the valve body that is telling the transmission what gear to be in the 2 speed sensors in the transmission are reading the input and output speeds of the drives in the transmission.

I am assuming that the engine is running properly so let’s move on to the transmission.

Because you are having shifting issues I would focus on the shifter selector switch, TCM and valve body. Since you say the shifter is adjusted properly and the battery is good and the fluid level is correct we can move on to the TCM and the valve body. Now the TCM can be sent to ACI to have it tested and I have done this they can make repairs if necessary. As for the valvebody you can take pin readings at the plug at the TCM or at the transmission, I did it at the TCM. However, it will only tell you if the shifter solenoids and speed sensors are good it will not tell you if one of the valves in the valve body are sticking or stuck.

How many miles do you have on this rebuilt transmission?
Between 15-18k.

Old 11-11-2016 | 07:20 PM
|

Oh and here is another good one. So I realized I never checked the fuses so I pulled the number one for the TCM on the left hand box, just but swapped it for another and then pulled the #4 fuse from the box right in front of the TCU (says EMS. ECU TCM 5 amp). Again fine. Figured I'd run it without this fuse thinking it would probably kick a ton of codes. Well it didn't, it ran exactly the same and thru the same p1794. Any thoughts on this. I did check voltage before swapping fuses and while running it had a lovely 14.1 on the fuse block.

Old 11-11-2016 | 07:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

See if this helps. Go to lesson 4 then go to page 64. It will give you the reading for checking your speed sensors and solenoids.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...des/201_SG.pdf

Also for the pin locations use this link and go to Fig 5.1

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1997.pdf

Have you ever visited my web page?

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (11-12-2016)
Old 11-11-2016 | 09:09 PM
|

Originally Posted by Gus
See if this helps. Go to lesson 4 then go to page 64. It will give you the reading for checking your speed sensors and solenoids.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...des/201_SG.pdf

Also for the pin locations use this link and go to Fig 5.1

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1997.pdf

Have you ever visited my web page?
Yeah, I've been there. My biggest problem is a drunk driver took my physical ability to do much of anything under a car away a few years back which is why I have been trying to find someone (unsuccessfully) willing to diagnose the issue or pull the valve body etc. I can do simple stuff that doesn't require a bunch of time oractual movement. I spent 5 minutes trying to open a doughnut bag at the groccery store today.

The world has become too much of parts replacers unfortunately. To that end I can't even find anyone willing to replace the valve body only a tranny which as I already stated I will not do. I had a hard enough time justifying it when I did it the first time at 95k.

Old 12-08-2016 | 02:08 PM

Any update on your tranny?

Old 08-18-2020 | 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Well after having my tranny rebuilt by the ZF factory rebuilder 2.5 years and 20k it seems my tranny is on the way out. Getting 1798 and 1799 codes. It will hold speed a bit at times and hard downshifts when it is holding speed. Also, got in it today to and it wouldn't go. Stopping and turning it off usually resets it. for a while. Battery is good in fact this morning it had just gotten off a tender trickle charge cycle. Any thoughts?

This will be my last Jag so long as they continue to use ZF trannies. They are simply junk.
You know, I was having the same issue a few years back... Dealer tried telling me all sorts of stupid things like I needed a new tranny and that the speed sensor was bad in the transmission. I was getting gearbox faults... it sounds weird but it ended up being my cats were on their way out and was over heating everything from my power steering fluid ( melted both PS lines ), Over heating my trans fluid... it was a mess. These cars, as I'm sure you are aware are so temperamental. My Cats ran fine, I got codes every once in a while but it had good pressure... till one day I was cruising down the road at night top down and noticed red rocks shooting out of behind my car. I thought to myself, there's no way that's what I think it is ( being the ceramic from the cats ). I got home fine, until I parked it. I noticed a burning smell... not an automotive type smell but like wood or grass. I looked under the Jag and sure enough the passenger side cat was glowing bright orange burning the hell out of my yard (well driveway but where as I live in Coastal North Carolina grass is everywhere).

Just a thought, Ive owned quite a few two seat performance sports cars and I aways have the most off the wall 2% statistical chance type stuff happen...

Lots of Luck,
C. Poling