XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Lost without sound!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost without sound!

I just purchased a 2000 Jaguar XKR Conv and the radio and nav units are stone dead. It appears the former owner spilled something on the radio head unit, as several of the buttons are frozen or sticky. Of course, she says the radio worked when she last used it. (That may have been before she blew lunch on the dashbaord.)
I purchased a replacement radio on eBay and am now wondering how I will deal with the code (if I should be so lucky that this fixes matters). I am also wondering if the interface with the nav will be rectified by just installing a new radio. Can anyone help?
This is my first post, so I am new to this forum and forums in general, but someone anonymously already sent me a link to a wiring diagram for the car! Amazingly helpful. Thanks in advance.
Michael
michaelfracz@gmail.com

Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

The US models do not require a code (even though the factory documentation may give you one).

Old 07-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I think you'll find that the nav unit is pretty much worthless for anything other than the clock. I took mine completely out and installed a Garmin 1490T in its place. It works great, the only problem is that it doesn't mute the radio when the Garmin lady talks to me. I can live with that. I might post some pictures of it later today.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I think you'll find that the nav unit is pretty much worthless for anything other than the clock. I took mine completely out and installed a Garmin 1490T in its place. It works great, the only problem is that it doesn't mute the radio when the Garmin lady talks to me. I can live with that. I might post some pictures of it later today.

Yea Rev - I would like to see what you did with the Nav Screen as far as the Garmin. Blank Screen is pretty much just a dust catcher now.

As far as the Radio problem. After purchasing my 2001, the Radio didn't want to turn on at all. Had to constantly push and pull buttons, finally after 5 minutes or so it would fire up. Then I couldn't do any Sound or Mode (AM, FM or CD) changes without multiple multiple push and pull.

As is normal with a Jag, the 'demons' finally left and everything works as it should now. One of those Jag things that just gets you laughing with 'what is it going to do next'.

Next problem is trying to get the Windshield Washer to shoot water on the Windshield. Again it is just a lot of pulling and pushing, finally a squirt (and this is after I disassembled the entire system and blew air through every thing. Sure it's a Jag thing again and eventually the 'demons' will leave once again.

As far as cleaning the crud at your stuck radio buttons, many people say not to use WD 40 because it attacks plastic. You might try CRC Electrical Spray, I don't hink that it leaves any residule and it is supposidly safe with plastics.

Hope you get it working - great to hear 'Bolero' blasting when the wind is in the hair.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Default Installing 2000 XKR Radio??

Has anyone had experience installing a head unit? Are there any tricks with the interface to the Nav unit? Does it matter that the phone has been unplugged and completely removed?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Default Don't use CRC or contact cleaner to activate buttons

My buttons on the radio were stuck. Contact cleaner dissolved the button. Hence, the new radio. Does anyone else have an idea about what to do with these inoperative pushbuttons?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

well, i've had my head unit out, and if there's sticky mess in the buttons, its going to be hard to get it cleaned out w/o major disassembly. You could try a can of electronics cleaner on them, and if that doesn't do the trick, you can buy my old one that I removed and still have . To keep the existing NAV functioning FULLY, the head unit does need to be plugged in (the clock or leaper startup screen will work w/o the head unit, however, as I did this for a long time with an aftermarket head unit)

good luck!