XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Low coolant, does red crusties mean leak Location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Low coolant, does red crusties mean leak Location?

The low coolant light came on and it was very low, after filling it about a week later it was at the same low level. I've looked at it running hot and can see no obvious leaking anywhere and nothing under the car.

I did notice red crusties at some of the hose termination points. So is it boiling off at those locations? I noticed someone put a regular hose clamp behind one of the norma clamps from the reservoir, otherwise the original norma clamps are all intact and there are no crusties around most of them.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The common leak locations on an XK8 are the thermostat housing and the Norma connectors on each side of the engine. All will tend to leak slowly and dry up due to engine heat. Dried, crusty red/orange deposits are, indeed, signs of a leak. The thermostat housing leaks onto the top of the engine under the intake manifold and evaporates. That can also destroy the knock sensors. The Norma connectors leak drips onto the catalytic converters and vaporizes. A leak at one or both of the Norma connectors can only be fixed by replacing the octopus heater hose . . . or by cutting the connector out and using a standard piece of 5/8" hose in its place with screw type clamps.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

The heater hose/octopus hose is fine no visible crusties or leaks at any of it's visible connections.

The problem hose is between the filling reservoir and the thermostat housing as it has red crusties at both ends. The hose doesn't leak so should I just replace the clamps at both ends then? Have to figure out how to post pics here as I have a couple!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by artstar
The heater hose/octopus hose is fine no visible crusties or leaks at any of it's visible connections.

The problem hose is between the filling reservoir and the thermostat housing as it has red crusties at both ends. The hose doesn't leak so should I just replace the clamps at both ends then? Have to figure out how to post pics here as I have a couple!
There is some new-guy restriction against posting pics, but I think that goes away at 10 posts. If so, you have arrived!

Anyway, yeah, why not just replace the hose and clamps where the leak evidence appears? That may be all you need.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

You also might want to get a loaner coolant pressure tester from Advance Auto or Autozone. When you pressurize the system, you will then usually be able to locate the leaks by looking for bubbling and hissing.