XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Low rough rolling or grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low rough rolling or grinding noise

Hey guys,

So, I just replaced my entire transmission with a well driven gearbox with less than 29K miles after mine failed with the typical A-Drum issue. I drive a 2000 XK8 Conv. With 90K miles on it. The gearbox with dropped and installed by AAMCO. About 3 weeks later, I'm getting a low rough-like almost grinding noise (more like a perforated metal cylinder rolling down a hard surface) coming from what seems to be somewhere underneath (drivetrain). It only occurs when I accelerate from around 30 or 40 mph to anywhere around 60, over various times, but otherwise drives very smooth. From a full stop, it also accelerates fine with no noise.

Could this be my Diff that's on its way out, or could they have installed something incorrectly with the gearbox (the installed gearbox was never opened). Perhaps the pulleys?? I remember an almost identical noise and feel, but MUCH, much more rougher, coming from my Nissan Pathfinder to the point where it was undriveable above 45 mph. It ended up needing the front Diff (it was 4x4) needing replacement.

Thanks!!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

A couple of suggestions from downunder.

You say the "new" trans was NOT opened up, mmmm, I assume it had the fluid/filter refreshed?????.

I SERIOUSLY hope so.

This then leads me to my suggestions.

1) The transmission is low on fluid. We have a few here that started that exact noise after a trans service, and we eventually found that the fluid level was LOW. Some by as much as 1ltr, some by as little as 400ml. Getting that last drop of fluid in there to actually FILL it is very time consuming and most workshops do not have the actual time available to do is PROPERLY.

Most here do this "adding" fluid over a 3-4 day period, by dribbling that little bit in each time, and of course COLD, as once the trans fluid heats up to 50c it has expander and runs out the filler plug hole. As I said, time consuming and frustrating at best.

If you want a step by step, let me know I will provide.

2) The trans fluid is in dire need of a refresh, along with a new filter.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-01-2012 at 06:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WillyWheels (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Check the universal joints on your rear axles you have 2 U joints on each side and lubrication is often overlooked http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../Halfshaft.jpg

Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
A couple of suggestions from downunder.

You say the "new" trans was NOT opened up, mmmm, I assume it had the fluid/filter refreshed?????.

I SERIOUSLY hope so.

This then leads me to my suggestions.

1) The transmission is low on fluid. We have a few here that started that exact noise after a trans service, and we eventually found that the fluid level was LOW. Some by as much as 1ltr, some by as little as 400ml. Getting that last drop of fluid in there to actually FILL it is very time consuming and most workshops do not have the actual time available to do is PROPERLY.

Most here do this "adding" fluid over a 3-4 day period, by dribbling that little bit in each time, and of course COLD, as once the trans fluid heats up to 50c it has expander and runs out the filler plug hole. As I said, time consuming and frustrating at best.

If you want a step by step, let me know I will provide.

2) The trans fluid is in dire need of a refresh, along with a new filter.
Well unfortunately, they used the same filter it had in there, but the fluid that was put in is Redline rather than the ZF stuff (its approved for the Jaguar/ZF gearbox). Again, it only had 29k miles on the newly installed box. The amount they asked me to provide was 11 litres, as that's what their computer said. What kind of damage can overfilling do? Man, I would think the AAMCO ppl would know their stuff, but I will say that it was a PITA dealing with them and at least as for that specific location I will never return!

If I buy another two or three quarts, would that be too much? Furthermore, I thought the transmission fluid inlet (where the dip stick "would" be) is sealed off? Where do I add more fluid from?

Last edited by WillyWheels; 09-01-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by WillyWheels
Well unfortunately, they used the same filter it had in there, but the fluid that was put in is Redline rather than the ZF stuff (its approved for the Jaguar/ZF gearbox).
A few years ago I replaced the fluid in my '91 ZR-1 with Redline. It was a 6 spd manual, and not an AT, but almost immediately the trans started feeling hot...so hot I could feel it through the console. I drained and started over with the ZF factory recommended Castrol that BMW was using. It was much, much better. I don't buy Redline's hype about any of their products.

OH...don't assume AAMCO knows anything about any transmission. I never returned to them after they did a **** poor job on the HD Torqueflight in my big block Dodge back in 1968. Even then, the word was out that AAMCO did sloppy work.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WillyWheels
Well unfortunately, they used the same filter it had in there, but the fluid that was put in is Redline rather than the ZF stuff (its approved for the Jaguar/ZF gearbox). Again, it only had 29k miles on the newly installed box. The amount they asked me to provide was 11 litres, as that's what their computer said. What kind of damage can overfilling do? Man, I would think the AAMCO ppl would know their stuff, but I will say that it was a PITA dealing with them and at least as for that specific location I will never return!

If I buy another two or three quarts, would that be too much? Furthermore, I thought the transmission fluid inlet (where the dip stick "would" be) is sealed off? Where do I add more fluid from?
Mmmmm, sound terribly shonky to me, sorry.

11 qts, fair dinkum, that is the amount for a "dry" transmission, as in when stripped and drained, and the torque convertor split and drained.

In fairness, they may have used one of those flushing machines and then I could understand the 11qts. However that only assumes that the "new" trans was at its correct level prior to beginning the process, which I doubt very much.''

The normal amount of fluid needed is about 5ltrs +/- a bit.

The filler plug is on the RH side of the trans about half way up the side. It is fiddly to get to and the exhaust is in the way, so a fire blanket over the pipe will save your skin somewhat.

My procedure is:
Car jacked up, RHR wheel high, and high enough to slide under. SAFETY FIRST please, pain is not fun when a Jag falls on you.
Fill it until it flows out, start the engine (required precautions PLEASE), thru the J gate to D, and R, and back to P, engine still running, back under the car, and syringe more in until it flows out again, put the plug in, finger tight will do. Shut the engine down, have a beer, come back in 2 hours,
GET ORGANISED, oil at the ready, syringe, etc. Start the engine, thru the gears again, leave it running, back under, syringe more in, plug back in, shut it down, drink some more.

Come back tomorrow morning (yes leave it jacked up on the weird angle you got it), and GET ORGANISED again, and start it up, thru the gears again, leave it running, syringe more in, plug back, shut it down.

You SHOULD be done.

Go for a drive, and listen for any tell tale noises.

My sons BMW, same trans, took 2 days of dribbling the fluid in, until we were convinced it was FULL. Took about 150ml each cold fill up, so YES, frustrating, but it must be full or noises will drive you mad, and damage the trans. All the strange "chinging/rattles" were finally gone.

A few XJ8 cars here have had the same noises, and this time consuming "top off" has sorted every one of them. They had all been trans serviced by reputable mobs here, but the transmissions simply were NOT full, close, but not full.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-02-2012 at 05:53 AM.