XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Lower Radiator Hose Collapse

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Lower Radiator Hose Collapse

Based on the fact that I see the lower radiator hose collapse at times (probably in hot weather more than other times), I am planning to replace it.

This leads me to two questions:

1) Can I possibly get to this hose clamp up top (the last mechanic left them in the 12 oclock position) on engine side without disconnecting everything above it? What kind of tool did you use?

2) I've always been taught that a collapsed radiator hose means a bad radiator cap. Are there other things that will contribute to this, even an old hose?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting this done but even with all my tools I've got nothing to reach in there with enough power so I figured I'd check.

John

Old 10-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I would suggest replacing the hose but as you know the clamps are hard to access. You can use an hose clamp tool like this one.

Link Sears.com

As for the cause of the collapsed hose the coolant tank cap is the primary suspect. The cap vents in both directions so it would be good to replace it.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-05-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 06:27 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I have seen cases where the radiator is restricted with deposits or stop leak that can prevent proper coolant flow. If the cap and hose replacement does not correct the situation try flushing the radiator and replacing the thermostat.
Keep in mind that the water pump is pulling coolant through the radiator from the bottom hose.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-08-2016)