XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Lower steering column rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 06:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lower steering column rattle

When I bought my 2000 XKR last year it showed problems described in the TSB 211-06 (211-06 (jagrepair.com)) - steering knock due to the old version of the lower steering column (the problem was also discussed in this thread XJR loose steering and front end clunk - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum), which can be solved by installing the updated version MJE 9503AC. Since Jaguar does not produce that part anymore, I first bought a used one (which than later turned out it was damaged and not usable), but later I was able to source an old new stock part in an online shop. I had the new part installed at a Jaugar dealership. After installing the part the steering knock was gone. After a while I noticed another rattle in the steering wheel (when driving over uneven roads or potholes). First I thought it was something loose in the airbag (like a wire rattling against the housing). After removing the airbag the rattle was still not gone - and then I figured out what was the cause - it comes from the joint of lower steering column, which I naturally did not suspect as it is practically new (the car ran for approximately 1500 km after it was changed).

Here are two videos (
) of the rattle - it comes from the joint in the lower steering column, but only when the steering wheel is in neutral position and by moving the it fast in both directions (when I make a whole turn with the steering wheel and try to move it in the same manner, the sound does not occur). Interestingly it only takes to press the joint of the steering column while turning the steering wheel with a finger (with relatively low force) and the sound is gone. During driving, the rattle does not occur while turning the steering wheel, but only while driving straight over bad roads and potholes.

I wonder if it is possible that the dealership made something wrong while installing the new lower steering column? Or maybe damaged it during the installation?

I would be grateful for your thoughts on the topic.

Best regards

Marko

Old 11-15-2021, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 750 Posts

I would try tightening up the nut on the spline of both sides.
Any force on the spline would take up a little slack, if loose.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by cjd777
I would try tightening up the nut on the spline of both sides.
Any force on the spline would take up a little slack, if loose.
Thanks - will definitely try that out.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:49 AM
Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by keilwarm79
When I bought my 2000 XKR last year it showed problems described in the TSB 211-06 (211-06 (jagrepair.com)) - steering knock due to the old version of the lower steering column (the problem was also discussed in this thread XJR loose steering and front end clunk - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum), which can be solved by installing the updated version MJE 9503AC. Since Jaguar does not produce that part anymore, I first bought a used one (which than later turned out it was damaged and not usable), but later I was able to source an old new stock part in an online shop. I had the new part installed at a Jaugar dealership. After installing the part the steering knock was gone. After a while I noticed another rattle in the steering wheel (when driving over uneven roads or potholes). First I thought it was something loose in the airbag (like a wire rattling against the housing). After removing the airbag the rattle was still not gone - and then I figured out what was the cause - it comes from the joint of lower steering column, which I naturally did not suspect as it is practically new (the car ran for approximately 1500 km after it was changed).

Here are two videos (https://youtu.be/lKjVID342TM https://youtu.be/FRxR0ycs5ps) of the rattle - it comes from the joint in the lower steering column, but only when the steering wheel is in neutral position and by moving the it fast in both directions (when I make a whole turn with the steering wheel and try to move it in the same manner, the sound does not occur). Interestingly it only takes to press the joint of the steering column while turning the steering wheel with a finger (with relatively low force) and the sound is gone. During driving, the rattle does not occur while turning the steering wheel, but only while driving straight over bad roads and potholes.

I wonder if it is possible that the dealership made something wrong while installing the new lower steering column? Or maybe damaged it during the installation?

I would be grateful for your thoughts on the topic.

Best regards

Marko

I’d take it back to the dealer and have them fix their work.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dfbender
I’d take it back to the dealer and have them fix their work.
Hello, my plan is definitely to do that. But since the dealership did not sell me the part I can imagine what their explanation will be. Therefore I am trying to get some DIY experience/opinions to be better prepared for the discussion with them

Old 11-16-2021, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

It might be a little more complicated than it seems, there's a lot going on in there. It's a nightmare on the XJS. Not the same joint exactly but a very similar problem.

What I read (I think) in this thread is that there are some interchangeable parts between jag models. I think you want to look around post 13...

Old 11-17-2021, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
It might be a little more complicated than it seems, there's a lot going on in there. It's a nightmare on the XJS. Not the same joint exactly but a very similar problem.

What I read (I think) in this thread is that there are some interchangeable parts between jag models. I think you want to look around post 13...
Thanks for the input. However I think that I figured out the correct part numbers for the lower steering column - at least how I read the TSB 211-06. It should be as follows:
XK MJE 9503AB (old design, rod in rod) was changed to MJE 9503AC (new design with splines and rubber in the coupling). The TSB is about replacing the old part with the new one if there is a knock in the steering (which I was experiencing before changing the part)
XJ MNE 9501AC was changed to MNE 9501AD

On pictures the new XK an XJ parts look the same but I figure they must be somehow different if they have different part numbers.

When I was looking for the new type of the steering column, I was able to find a new part (which had also the part number MJE 9503AC on a sticker) so I am pretty sure, that I supplied the dealer with the correct part. I just hope it was somehow not installed correctly, my fear is however it could have been damaged somehow during the instalation.

Last edited by keilwarm79; 11-17-2021 at 08:04 AM.