XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

LSD update and others

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014 | 10:53 AM
|
Default LSD update and others

Hope everyone had some great family holidays together. Anywho, I finally saved my pennies and have a few extra bucks to get my car screaming and leaving 2 black marks instead of 1 and still I am a bit puzzled on which way to go on my goal to reach lsd. Coventry West based on the XJ platform or the Quaife lsd? I only have 1 shot at this to get the absolutely best bang for my buck. Now what I don't wanna do is run into other costly expense from the lsd tripping other sensors in the gearbox or wheel speed sensors or any other crazy things that I have not thought of ? Any input to this decision I am gonna make will be greatly appreciated. I'm ready and sooner the better! Oh yell and any ideas on high flow less restrictive catalyst for sale for our cars?

The following users liked this post:
weisberg (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014 | 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by David Lawson
Hope everyone had some great family holidays together. Anywho, I finally saved my pennies and have a few extra bucks to get my car screaming and leaving 2 black marks instead of 1 and still I am a bit puzzled on which way to go on my goal to reach lsd. Coventry West based on the XJ platform or the Quaife lsd? I only have 1 shot at this to get the absolutely best bang for my buck. Now what I don't wanna do is run into other costly expense from the lsd tripping other sensors in the gearbox or wheel speed sensors or any other crazy things that I have not thought of ? Any input to this decision I am gonna make will be greatly appreciated. I'm ready and sooner the better! Oh yell and any ideas on high flow less restrictive catalyst for sale for our cars?

I installed the Quaife LSD over a year ago and have not had a single issue with it. However, the Quaife will likely not let you, as we used to say as kids, "burn rubber". The Quaife uses gears to balance the torque between the two wheels and does not lock up like regular LSDs. With the stock engine, I never had the ATC kick in. After I upgraded the s/c, I have seen the ATC activate several times from a standing or rolling stop. The Quaife does exactly what I wanted it to do and I'm very happy with it but perhaps you should talk to forum member avos. He knows a lot more about LSDs than I do.

Mark

Old 01-31-2014 | 12:36 PM
Default LSD research

I'm just digging into the limited slip differential, doing some research. There are a couple of things I am not sure about yet, I could use some direction.

My XKR already leaves two black marks, and not one as david mentioned. Is the differential in the XKR different than the XK8?
And...
If that is the case, does the LSD in an XKR give a good return on investment?

Currently, by ATC does kick in when accelerating. If I turn it off, the wheels (both of them) spin. I am hoping that performance with regard to these issues will be improved once I have new tires, which is happening on the 10th of February. From what I am reading, the LSD will also better my performance with ATC and wheel spin?

Old 02-01-2014 | 04:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mJohn337
I'm just digging into the limited slip differential, doing some research. There are a couple of things I am not sure about yet, I could use some direction.

My XKR already leaves two black marks, and not one as david mentioned. Is the differential in the XKR different than the XK8?
And...
If that is the case, does the LSD in an XKR give a good return on investment?

Currently, by ATC does kick in when accelerating. If I turn it off, the wheels (both of them) spin. I am hoping that performance with regard to these issues will be improved once I have new tires, which is happening on the 10th of February. From what I am reading, the LSD will also better my performance with ATC and wheel spin?
LSDs were not stock on either the XK8 or the XKR for the x100 style (made between 1996 and 2006). If you have the x100 and it has an LSD, then it is an aftermarket LSD installed by a previous owner.

Mark