XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

LSI Convertible Top Hydraulic Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LSI Convertible Top Hydraulic Kit

I installed the LSI kit about 3 months ago on my 2003 XK8. It is working without any problems. The only problem I had with the installation was that the T30 plug near the manual valve must have been put in by a gorilla. I got it out but I dont know how I did it without breaking something!!

My reason for posting this note is to ask if anyone is aware of people having hose failures after installing the kit?

I am hoping for a deafening silence!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

haven't hear of any yet, knock on wood. Though the kit has only been available for what...3-4 months, it is with high hopes the life of the system is extended dramatically by eliminating those surge pressures at the beginning/end of the cycle. Hey, makes sense to me.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Actually the kit has to be getting close to being available for a year, because I had mine before my winter semi-hibernation. I just didn't install it until early spring. So far no issues with my top and I haven't heard of anything either.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenryr
I installed the LSI kit about 3 months ago on my 2003 XK8. It is working without any problems. The only problem I had with the installation was that the T30 plug near the manual valve must have been put in by a gorilla. I got it out but I dont know how I did it without breaking something!!

My reason for posting this note is to ask if anyone is aware of people having hose failures after installing the kit?

I am hoping for a deafening silence!!!!
When I installed the LSI kit on my original pump, it was really pretty smooth except for the interference at the T30 plug due to nearby fitting. I just did the install on the new pump that the dealer installed and you are correct. Getting the T30 plug out required more elbow grease. What was worse was that the nearby fitting on this pump was somehow creating more interference making it tougher to get hose #1 attached.

Doug

Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Did you get the pump back from the dealer? I have been attached at the hip to the top hydraulics issues since that was the reason I was able to get into a XK8 so cheap to begin with. I do not think I have ever seen a documented pump failure in the past 3 years. I would really like to understand the problem with your pump.

I have seen pumps replaced, under warranty, simply because the manual by-pass valve was not closed.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed the valve in April this year. I did not replace any of the hoses....so far so good!
I`m thankful that this kit was made available to us. If anyone had to top off their pump reservoir, what fluid did you use??? I have a 2003 XKR...Thanks!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Pentosin CHF11S only. There are enough problems with the hydraulics on this car without experimenting with other hydraulic fluids.

Available from NAPA for less than $20.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
When I installed the LSI kit on my original pump, it was really pretty smooth except for the interference at the T30 plug due to nearby fitting. I just did the install on the new pump that the dealer installed and you are correct. Getting the T30 plug out required more elbow grease. What was worse was that the nearby fitting on this pump was somehow creating more interference making it tougher to get hose #1 attached.

Doug
Several others commented on the conflict with the elbow fitting next to the T30 plug opening. I had the same issue and stopped my installation as I couldn't move the elbow fitting. What are some of the workarounds, or how did you finally get Hose #1 in place? Thanks in advance - I think about the hose blowing every time I close the top! DaleD

Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleD
Several others commented on the conflict with the elbow fitting next to the T30 plug opening. I had the same issue and stopped my installation as I couldn't move the elbow fitting. What are some of the workarounds, or how did you finally get Hose #1 in place? Thanks in advance - I think about the hose blowing every time I close the top! DaleD
Loosen the hose on the elbow since it is the collar on the hose that is creating the interference. Don't completely remove the hose though. Once the collar is backed off some you should be able to get to the T30 plug. This way you don't have to move the elbow. Then simply tighten the hose back on the elbow once the new hose is in place of the T30 plug.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Loosen the hose on the elbow since it is the collar on the hose that is creating the interference. Don't completely remove the hose though. Once the collar is backed off some you should be able to get to the T30 plug. This way you don't have to move the elbow. Then simply tighten the hose back on the elbow once the new hose is in place of the T30 plug.
This worked pretty well for my first pump but it was still not quite enough for the second pump. I backed off the collar and started the hose #1 but the high spots on that fitting hit against the elbow. Trying to move the elbow was impossible but I eventually was able to get the hose fully into the T30 fitting.

Doug

Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My son installed my valve, he is used to working on diesel engines so the required torque to remove the T30 plug and move the elbow wasn't a problem for him. Our only concern was breaking something in the process. He ended up rotating the elbow within the range alllowed by the other fitting. Tightening the elbow moved it a little beyound it's original position.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

When I tried tightening the elbow on the second pump I lacked the proper tool/leverage to accomplish this. Also, I was afraid that if I had been able to come up with a way to further tighten that I would end up breaking something in the process. I was lucky that the high spots on the hose #1 fitting did not overly rub against the elbow as I was tightening the fitting but the next thing I would have tried was to take a file or dremel and carve away a bit of the elbow to allow for more clearance.

Doug

Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

If you look at my install on my page you will see a hammer in the background. I used this hammer to tap the fitting to turn it a little. NO I AM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO THIS AND I RECOMMEND AGAINST IT but this is what I did to turn the fitting. I did notice that all the fittings were tight and the T30 was a bit difficult to remove but it was not imposable. I think they used a lock-tight on all the pump connections and that is what made it so difficult.

Doug, did you get the pump?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Many thanks guys. I'm not sure I'll attempt this (tools, temperment and or temerity), but my tech is very interested in this approach, and has not seen one before. I offered to buy an hour of his time. DaleD

Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Gus--I will send a follow-up email to the service rep at the dealer to see if my old pump is still around or if they needed to send it to Jaguar.

Dale--the job is not as difficult as it sounds. There are a few frustrating steps (removing/reinstalling the pump if you have a tall accessory rack is a small challenge as is disconnecting the black/white electrical connector) but the rest is really pretty straightforward. If you have your tech do it you should at least be there watching.

Doug

Old 09-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Many thanks guys. I'm not sure I'll attempt this (tools, temperment and or temerity), but my tech is very interested in this approach, and has not seen one before. I offered to buy an hour of his time. DaleD
My link to the instructions might help http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairJ...esRelValve.htm

Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks Gus. It was your great pix and text that started me on this journey. The psi graphs are very encouraging. We'll get it installed. DaleD

Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Gus. It was your great pix and text that started me on this journey. The psi graphs are very encouraging. We'll get it installed. DaleD
Dale:

Don't be at all shy about installing it yourself; it's not difficult when you follow Gus's great instructions and photos.

I too used the "hammer technique" to gently move the right-angle fitting ever so slightly, with no problems (one or two light taps did it; your mileage may vary). I would recommend this over filing or altering the fitting in any way. Why risk making a part less strong rather than just a smidgen tighter?

The biggest challenge, if there was one, was deciding whether to buy a star bit that fit my socket wrench or a complete "key" set. I'm glad I got the socket wrench style because the other would not have worked as well to remove the pump from my tall accessory rack in tight quarters. I also used my U-joint socket swivel in combo with the star socket and it worked great with the uninstall/install of the pump assembly.

No worries! Good luck!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LSI and CGR hydraulic lines

I installed the LSI valve and the CGR lines about 3 weeks ago. No problems.

I thought I'd weigh in on the install. I have a 2003 XKR with about 76,000 miles.

By tightening the 90 degree fitting near the plug I was able to get the #1 hose installed. I couldn't budge the fitting with a wrench but a few delicate taps with a hammer moved it just enough to where I was able to install the hose.

I installed the valve before the hoses as I didn't want to manually lower the top during the hose install process.

After I routed the lines all the way back to the trunk I found that I had to remove the #1 hose and also the t-handle for the manual pressure relief value to install the 90 degree fittings that came with and are required for installing the hose set.

Everything fit back together and is working without issues. I didn't install the 90 degree fittings nearly as tight as they were on removal.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I installed mine in May with no problems so far. Easy instsallation, less than an hour with great instrictions. Take your time and be gentle but firm and the connectors will back out.

Quick Reply: LSI Convertible Top Hydraulic Kit