XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Major Resurrection of a pasteurized cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Major Resurrection of a pasteurized cat

Back story: bought a 99 XK8 with 138k miles, engine was rebuilt 3yrs and 3k miles ago; Previous Owner (PO) thought it to be vacuum related running issue, it would start but not run; so he parked it in a lean to and left it!!!!
-----------
bought it and brought it home, got it running "ok" with some cleaning and adjusting, thought "hey made a great buy at $2500!!"
-----------
had a little "ticking" sound to it, figured it had been sitting for awhile and am used to hydraulic lifters so paid no attention (hadn't read this forum at that time)
-----------
when my wife got home (had driven it about 3 miles) i wanted to show her my proud purchase, started it right up and revved it to about 3k and it snapped a valve in #4 cylinder intake side
------------
Long story longer I have replaced the #4 piston (cylinder is ok) and am getting ready to put a good used polished head on the right side. My issue is that with a new head there are no markings for timing
------------
when timing a DOHC do I align all 4 cams together i.e. all 4 flats facing the same direction?
------------
do i find TDC on #1 compression stroke and install cams accordingly? Is there a specialty tool that will put it to TDC? I have not taken left side off or the timing system for that side so I can match that timing if all 4 are equal any pictures of the cams on a properly timed engine would help
------------
I am basically timing the engine from scratch with no factory or computer and I have about all the tools one could want. All/any help is very appreciated and welcomed! New to not just this forum but also to Jaguar but LOVE the car so far

Old 10-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Sounds like we have a new member in dire need?

I'm sure all the techy guys in the know will be happy to drop by and share their knowledge.

This forum could prove to one of the best tools you have in your armoury