XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Measuring how much UV gets through windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Measuring how much UV gets through windows

Wow. There is no UV protection whatsoever for my Jag. None of the windows. I bought a bunch of these UV measuring cards and I think I need to get over to my car windshield tint guy pronto.

Got them from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Our 2016 Mercedes has incredibly good UV protection.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I regret to say I have little sympathy for such a dilemma.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
blindside (06-26-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I regret to say I have little sympathy for such a dilemma.

Graham
LOL!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 AM

Got this really good reply to my post.

Hi "Cyb3r"

I figured i'd reply to you in a private message instead of blaring in the public forum.

Before you go and get your windows tinted (unless that's what you're going for off-cause) you might want to have a really good look at those UV Cards.
Now the statement that your windows provide no UV protection at all is not really accurate.
One of the best UV filters we have commonly available is in fact glass. Any normal glass. That being window panes or car glass will provide a massive reduction in UV radiation. (this is basically why you don't get sunburns behind glass)

However when you start digging into the subject it becomes a bit more complex and you find that UV is a common term but actually mainly consists of UVa and UVb. Now UVa has a shorter wavelength than UVb and there's some debate as the filtering efficiency (not that it doesn't have any) of common glass in regards to UVa. However it seems to be believed (by people that now a lot more about the subject than i do) that UVb is the more "dangerous" of the two.
Anyways.... the short version is that i'd have a long look at the science behind the UV indication cards before dismissing your car windows as an ineffective UV filter

Best
/Stig.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:31 AM

LOL my big concern was for the interior of the car. Didn't even think about my skin health!

What is the difference between UVA, UVB and UVC? From the W.H.O WHO | UV radiation

The three types of UV radiation are classified according to their wavelength. They differ in their biological activity and the extent to which they can penetrate the skin. The shorter the wavelength, the more harmful the UV radiation. However, shorter wavelength UV radiation is less able to penetrate the skin.
Short-wavelength UVC is the most damaging type of UV radiation. However, it is completely filtered by the atmosphere and does not reach the earth's surface.
Medium-wavelength UVB is very biologically active but cannot penetrate beyond the superficial skin layers. It is responsible for delayed tanning and burning; in addition to these short-term effects it enhances skin aging and significantly promotes the development of skin cancer. Most solar UVB is filtered by the atmosphere.
The relatively long-wavelength UVA accounts for approximately 95 per cent of the UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface. It can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and is responsible for the immediate tanning effect. Furthermore, it also contributes to skin ageing and wrinkling. For a long time it was thought that UVA could not cause any lasting damage. Recent studies strongly suggest that it may also enhance the development of skin cancers.

Here is the description from the Amazon product page:
With the depletion of the ozone layer, the number of skin cancer and other health problems has risen dramatically, and the public is being advised to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun. But on any given day, how much exposure is too much, and how much SPF protection is enough? The credit card sized UV Meter Card is designed with a remarkable UV sensitive strip which changes from white to a shade of purple when exposed to UV radiation for only 10 seconds. Designed to react primarily to the wavelengths of lights between 290-325 nm, (the UV range) which are known to be the sunburn and skin damaging rays. The stronger the radiation, the darker the shade of purple. Simply compare on the adjacent color matching chart to see the corresponding "likelihood of sunburn" warning. Guidelines printed right on the meter card allow the user to determine the sun-screen SPA level required under the prevailing conditions [this is not a high precision instrument]. Reading Radiation Levels. Low - Use low sunscreen protection. High - Use a good sunscreen. Extreme - Use highest sunscreen or sun block and stay in the sun for only a short amount of time. You can now take immediate measurements to ensure that you are protecting the health of your family, friends, and associates. The card will change back to its original color within minutes and can be reused hundreds of times. Great for days at the beach, camping, boating. outdoor sports, and perfect for anyone who works outdoors. Also great for student projects. An excellent product to promote and market your spa, wellness center, cosmetic line, plastic surgery, outdoor clothing, sun screen, etc. You will receive - 6 Sun Meter UV cards, Plastic Cards

Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Apologies for mixing up the wavelengths for A and B.
It has been a while though.

I was thinking. If you're interested could you place the UV card behind a regular window in your house?
It would be fun to compare the result as there's a couple of potential outcomes.
A. The test shows that there's not much UV radiation coming through the window and as a conclusion the windows in our cars must be made of magical glass
B. The test shows an equal amount of UV radiation coming through the window and one could speculate that the test is overly sensitive.
B+ The test shows an equal amount of UV radiation coming through the window and one could speculate that the test does not actually react to UV radiation but rather visible light.

An i'm sure i've missed a few

Best
/Stig.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 601 Likes on 446 Posts

Just get them tinted, here in HI upto a 35 tint is allowed on the front side windows and as dark as you want on the rear. I have full legal tint on the side and as dark as possible on the rear, looks great and really keeps the car cooler as well as helps protect the inside from UV.

The only concern I have when tinting Windows is to ask folks to be extra careful and realize that other drivers cannot see you very well so T intersections when an aproching driver is trying to make eye contact to be sure you see them is a concern. I ride motorcycles and dark tinted windows are a very real concern when on a bike. We can't tell if you see us or not and what would be a fender bender in a car is deadly on a bike!

Old 06-25-2016, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I noticed when I put my Solar shade in the windshield (my parking space at work faces the morning sun)the difference is much greater shade off/shade on than in my 2013 Mustang.

I didn't think anything of it until now.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

test

Last edited by phanc60844; 06-26-2016 at 02:17 PM.