XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MEGA Nav Upgrade details!...plus Integrated Gauges, XM radio and Real Time Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Will do. I may even put a small hole in that fabric, closer to the garmin and just let it 'poke' thru. Can't get too close, as there is a MFD backboard there that everything is mounted to. It'd be a good idea if I put a little custom tag on it too, so the next tech that is in my boot knows what the heck that grounded cable is.

Tried it a little tonight, even tried to hit lots of buttons in quick sequence..took every signal like a champ, and it was sitting inside the armrest.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,984 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Default Three cheers for Garmin !!

Those of you who have followed along with this upgrade may recall that in my Garmin GVN-53 Navigation upgrade write-up at the start of this thread I had reported on this issue:

There is currently a bug in the GVN-53 only when used with the GXM-30 (XM-Radio module) that causes
the mute line to activate whenever the XM ‘PLAY’ button is pressed. This has the
effect of allowing the XM radio to erroneously play from the navigation input. Garmin
has told me their engineers are working on this problem, and hopefully will have a
software upgrade soon (the GVN-53 version at this writing is 2.3). In the meantime,
there is a simple workaround that solves the problem and is not too terribly
inconvenient:
For Premium audio cars only:
*Before using AM/FM or XM radio, turn the navigation volume on the Jaguar
headunit to ‘mute voice guidance’ (see the instructions in the XK series navigation
handbook).
*Before using the CD changer, turn the navigation volume on the Jaguar headunit to
the desired navigation volume level, and make sure the XM radio is set to STOP.
This nav. volume setting only needs to be changed when switching between CD and
AM/FM/XM.
For Standard audio cars only:
*Before using CD changer, turn the navigation volume on the Jaguar headunit to ‘mute
voice guidance’ (see the instructions in the XK series navigation handbook).
*Before using the AM/FM or XM radio, turn the navigation volume on the Jaguar
headunit to the desired navigation volume level, and make sure the XM radio is set to
‘STOP’.
AM/FM/XM.

The result of about 4 months of polite but fairly regular interchange with Garmin has finally resulted in this commitment I received today:

"First of all, I would like to thank you greatly for your continued patience as we’ve researched this issue. Our engineering team has isolated the problem. Although I do not have any information about the specifics of what is causing the problem, I have been informed that a software update should be released roughly mid-year to address this issue. There is no specific release date for this software release, but we’re looking to release it sometime around June or July.

The software update should be posted to the following page once it’s available: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00668-00

If the page does not update with the software release, or if the link changes by the time the patch is released, you can also access the update for the GVN 53 by going to garmin.com. From there, click on the word Support in the black banner. Then click Software, then Additional Software. Find and click “GVN 53” on the list of units.

Thank you once again for all your patience with us. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns".

Nice to see folks standing behind their product !!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-12-2011 at 05:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (04-29-2017)
Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome work! Thanks for your info!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stell4r
Awesome work! Thanks for your info!
Thanks!...Just a reminder: XM Satellite Radio service is only available in parts of North America.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 488 Likes on 351 Posts

Great write up on a great project. The pdfs are now saved in my things-to-get-round-to-before-I-die folder.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Default Great post - might just convince me to...

Once I figured out the Nav unit could not be upgraded by slipping in a new CD, I was convinced I didn't really need the Nav anyway. Most of the time I know where I'm going, or could figure it out (I have really good direction sense) and if I couldn't, then that could be ok too as I was just driving for the fun of driving and where is not as important as how.

But your instructions are very clear and I like the looks of the finished product enough, I could give this a try.

Thanks for your investment of time to provide the rest of us with all the details.

mjw

Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MJW-XKR
Once I figured out the Nav unit could not be upgraded by slipping in a new CD, I was convinced I didn't really need the Nav anyway. Most of the time I know where I'm going, or could figure it out (I have really good direction sense) and if I couldn't, then that could be ok too as I was just driving for the fun of driving and where is not as important as how.

But your instructions are very clear and I like the looks of the finished product enough, I could give this a try.

Thanks for your investment of time to provide the rest of us with all the details.

mjw
The cost is pretty significant for just a nav. upgrade. IMO, the value proposition here is if you also use the video interface for other functions too, such as satellite radio/traffic, and/or guages and/or a backup camera and/or DVD.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Default Value

Yeah my interest besides the Nav unit would be the gauge option or maybe traffic, not all that interested in XM due to what I consider under performing audio at this stage. Audio improvements will be my first order of business.
mjw

Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MJW-XKR
Yeah my interest besides the Nav unit would be the gauge option or maybe traffic, not all that interested in XM due to what I consider under performing audio at this stage. Audio improvements will be my first order of business.
mjw
The traffic is pretty cool. Besides the video traffic summary, it interrupts and mutes whatever program source is playing (using the navigation interface) and warns you verbally of impending problem conditions miles ahead. IMO, typical XM quality (with a direct wire interface) is better than FM radio, but not as good as CDs. It does vary some depending on which stations you are listening to and the level of compression used.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-10-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear White XKR,
I am new in this forum. I have a Daimler Super Eight 2007 which I believe is the same as a Jaguar VDP Super 8 in the US.
My car is fitted with a normal Jaguar Navigation system but Jaguar (Navteq) has not made a Navigation chart for my area (Singapore). This prevents me from using the Nav system.

I would imagine I have two options :
1) Use an original Nav disk and copy the specific operating system files (*.kwi) to a new DVD and take new Singapore map data and copy this data onto the same new nav disk.
2) Go your route (which BTW looks really elegant!).

Which way do you think will be easier?

PS. I am not able to see your instructions yet as posted by you because I am a newbee on this forum. Perhaps you can request the administrators to upgrade my user status so I can see your files.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daimler2007
Dear White XKR,
I am new in this forum. I have a Daimler Super Eight 2007 which I believe is the same as a Jaguar VDP Super 8 in the US.
My car is fitted with a normal Jaguar Navigation system but Jaguar (Navteq) has not made a Navigation chart for my area (Singapore). This prevents me from using the Nav system.

I would imagine I have two options :
1) Use an original Nav disk and copy the specific operating system files (*.kwi) to a new DVD and take new Singapore map data and copy this data onto the same new nav disk.
2) Go your route (which BTW looks really elegant!).

Which way do you think will be easier?

PS. I am not able to see your instructions yet as posted by you because I am a newbee on this forum. Perhaps you can request the administrators to upgrade my user status so I can see your files.
I really do not have a clue as to whether the Nav. disk copy would work...but I suspect there would be significant obstacles.

Adding the Garmin is not too hard if you have some basic wiring/soldering skills and are comfortable, for example, installing an aftermarket car radio.

3 days and 10 posts will get you full access to the forum.

Daimler2007 (05-23-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Those of you who have followed along with this upgrade may recall that in my Garmin GVN-53 Navigation upgrade write-up at the start of this thread I had reported on this issue:

There is currently a bug in the GVN-53 only when used with the GXM-30 (XM-Radio module) that causes
the mute line to activate whenever the XM ‘PLAY’ button is pressed. This has the
effect of allowing the XM radio to erroneously play from the navigation input. Garmin
has told me their engineers are working on this problem, and hopefully will have a
software upgrade soon (the GVN-53 version at this writing is 2.3). In the meantime,
there is a simple workaround that solves the problem and is not too terribly
inconvenient:
For Premium audio cars only:
*Before using AM/FM or XM radio, turn the navigation volume on the Jaguar
headunit to ‘mute voice guidance’ (see the instructions in the XK series navigation
handbook).
*Before using the CD changer, turn the navigation volume on the Jaguar headunit to
the desired navigation volume level, and make sure the XM radio is set to STOP.
AM/FM/XM.
For Standard audio cars only:
*Before using CD changer, turn the navigation volume on the Jaguar headunit to ‘mute
voice guidance’ (see the instructions in the XK series navigation handbook).
*Before using the AM/FM or XM radio, turn the navigation volume on the Jaguar
headunit to the desired navigation volume level, and make sure the XM radio is set to
‘STOP’.
AM/FM/XM.

The result of about 4 months of polite but fairly regular interchange with Garmin has finally resulted in this commitment I received today:

"First of all, I would like to thank you greatly for your continued patience as we’ve researched this issue. Our engineering team has isolated the problem. Although I do not have any information about the specifics of what is causing the problem, I have been informed that a software update should be released roughly mid-year to address this issue. There is no specific release date for this software release, but we’re looking to release it sometime around June or July.

The software update should be posted to the following page once it’s available: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00668-00

If the page does not update with the software release, or if the link changes by the time the patch is released, you can also access the update for the GVN 53 by going to garmin.com. From there, click on the word Support in the black banner. Then click Software, then Additional Software. Find and click “GVN 53” on the list of units.

Thank you once again for all your patience with us. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns".

Nice to see folks standing behind their product !!
I have not tried it yet, but I see Garmin has now posted a new software version for the GVN-53 that fixes the above issue, plus some others:

Garmin: GVN53 Updates & Downloads

Orthodixie (04-29-2017)
Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Nice job! you see, one man can make a difference! I'm glad Garmin took the feedback and actually did something about it with a firmware update. I suppose, though it won't change my operation in any way, I should download and install it into mine. Appreciate the link!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
Nice job! you see, one man can make a difference! I'm glad Garmin took the feedback and actually did something about it with a firmware update. I suppose, though it won't change my operation in any way, I should download and install it into mine. Appreciate the link!
It took less than 60 seconds for the Garmin to upgrade itself off of an SD card.

The problem is totally solved ! Kudos to Garmin.

For anyone who might have implemented the navigation mute according to my instruction pdf...just remember to reset the MUTE polarity to 'MUTE ON HIGH', since it reverts to the default after the upgrade.

It looks like the new version will let you load larger map updates in the future, so the upgrade is probably still worth doing even if you do not use the XM radio feature.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi

I currently have the 3 dials, if I wanted to add a Sat Nav screen with this upgrades, other than the screen and woodern dash, would I need to make any other, mods to the wiring, and would I need any kit in the boot / Trunk?

I know most people are moving the other way, (With the help of your conversion harness) but I am fed up of having to keep mounting my Satnav on the dash.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Now that's an interesting question.....

Non-nav vehicles do not have the two connectors needed to plug into the nav. display unit. So first off a custom harness would need to be made up (a little deja-vu here).

Video connections are no problem, they would be the same as in my write-up. The harness would need to connect to the car's power and light dimmer circuits also.

A quick look at the circuit diagram leaves several questions though:
-Are the connections the the nav DVD module necessary? (I suspect they are probably just for the control buttons). I am guessing one for power on/off may be an issue.
-There are several unlabeled connections to the headunit. These would need to be investigated...I am not sure what they are and if they are needed. I do not see those connections on your '99 headunit (I think nav. was introduced in 2000).
-The '99 may not suopport the nav. audio/mute channel. You can work around this by using the phone audio/mute or just the Garmin external speaker.

So...bottom line it may be possible, but there is definitely some testing/investigation needed, plus the development of a custom harness.

If others (say at least 3 people) come forward and want this mod., I would consider doing the work, just like I did for the 3-gauges.

In the meantime, let me offer an alternative to consider: Permanently mount your portable nav. unit on a Kuda mount. Wire the power permanently into the cig. lighter power circuit (accessible under the console) and hide the adapter in the Kuda mount shell.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-26-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
Hi

I currently have the 3 dials, if I wanted to add a Sat Nav screen with this upgrades, other than the screen and woodern dash, would I need to make any other, mods to the wiring, and would I need any kit in the boot / Trunk?

I know most people are moving the other way, (With the help of your conversion harness) but I am fed up of having to keep mounting my Satnav on the dash.
If you are interested, I will shortly be selling the entire satnav system (screen unit + DVD player) from my 2005 UK-sourced XKR. I also have the wooden dash part, but it's in elm...

Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Since the only thing that I still have in my car, literally that was OEM is the screen, I can assure you, that power to the screen and dimmer should be all you need to worry about. The lack of a head unit, amplifier, or DVD drive in the boot do not alter its operation at all, with the exception of a loss for those buttons and even the on/off becomes nonfunctional. White XKR was going to work up a relay of some sort so I may use the on/off button to actually work for the screen, providing the parts of course. At night, the backlight of the screen can be seen, even if I don't have the navigation source or head unit video out selected.

If you dont have the backup sensors, I see no reason why you can't use the location behind the center console trim flap to secure the included Garmin speaker, then just route a mute lead to the OEM deck, it should work seamlessly, unless I am missing something.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
Since the only thing that I still have in my car, literally that was OEM is the screen, I can assure you, that power to the screen and dimmer should be all you need to worry about. The lack of a head unit, amplifier, or DVD drive in the boot do not alter its operation at all, with the exception of a loss for those buttons and even the on/off becomes nonfunctional. White XKR was going to work up a relay of some sort so I may use the on/off button to actually work for the screen, providing the parts of course. At night, the backlight of the screen can be seen, even if I don't have the navigation source or head unit video out selected.

If you dont have the backup sensors, I see no reason why you can't use the location behind the center console trim flap to secure the included Garmin speaker, then just route a mute lead to the OEM deck, it should work seamlessly, unless I am missing something.

Matt- Thanks for reminding me about your configuration.

So the answer is it can be done but needs a custom cable and and on/off control. Anyone else interested?

Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran member

I've got that relay for you wanted me to order too. I was fighting other fires at the time on the car, so the on/off was taking a backseat. If you don't have an interest in producing any other cables, I was just going to ship you my screen w/ that relay, and maybe you can get a hardwired solution to get the button to at least power the screen on and off - off being the default startup condition.

When your remote convertible top venture is no longer in testing/development and you have some free time for another project, I'll pull the screen and ship it off to you. You let me know when you're available, I'm on your schedule.

Quick Reply: MEGA Nav Upgrade details!...plus Integrated Gauges, XM radio and Real Time Traffic