XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

MEGA Nav Upgrade details!...plus Integrated Gauges, XM radio and Real Time Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! But for some reason, I don't have permission to view the attached files. I'm new to the forum and I am wondering if I will be seeing the permission error as often as I have.

Would love to get the copies to see how you did it. Thanks,

Ron

Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Hi Ron. Welcome to the forum!

You need 3 days of membership and 10 posts to view the files. Just go back to the new member section, and welcome some other new members and you can easily reach your quota.

The following users liked this post:
rcarns (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey jah and db can we get him some priveladges ? What's your email I will send u pics and video

Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

couple more posts ron! you're at the gates to the prison...time to make a run for it

Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

@whitexkr

Your oil gauge sender hookup calls for some fittings from brakequip because of the M10x1.25 thread.

There is another way.

IHI turbochargers use the same thread size. There are oil feed hoses available on ebay that use a suitable banjo fitting at one end and a 1/8NPT tee at the other end. The best one has a restrictor in the banjo bolt.

The restrictor will limit the rate at which oil is pumped out of the engine if the hose fails giving the driver more time to react. The hose lets the sender be remote mounted so that the weight of the sender is not supported by the various adapters leading to fracturing. The hose/tee/sender unit should still remain on the engine so that the hose does not need to flex when the engine rocks over.

About $30.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Orthodixie (04-29-2017), WhiteXKR (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hidden Radio Antenna

All,
Slightly off topic, (ok, majorly off), but in an effort to rid the 98 XK8 of the ever so lengthy power antenna, does anyone have any feedback on the hidden antenna described in the link Amazon.com: Hidden Antenna - Fits Car, Truck, Motorcycle, Harley, Boat, Golf Cart, Campers, Amplified Antenna AM FM WB for Harley FLHT FLHX Universal Fit For All Custom Applications AM FM Car Radio Stereo Windshield Hidden Antenna: Automotive

I was hoping to find a substitute that would allow for the elimination of the antenna altogether and still provide for acceptable
AM/FM use.
I would love to eliminate the antenna, fill, smooth and finish the hole, and still have acceptable reception.
Thanks Much

Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
@whitexkr

Your oil gauge sender hookup calls for some fittings from brakequip because of the M10x1.25 thread.

There is another way.

IHI turbochargers use the same thread size. There are oil feed hoses available on ebay that use a suitable banjo fitting at one end and a 1/8NPT tee at the other end. The best one has a restrictor in the banjo bolt.

The restrictor will limit the rate at which oil is pumped out of the engine if the hose fails giving the driver more time to react. The hose lets the sender be remote mounted so that the weight of the sender is not supported by the various adapters leading to fracturing. The hose/tee/sender unit should still remain on the engine so that the hose does not need to flex when the engine rocks over.

About $30.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by platinummaker
All,
Slightly off topic, (ok, majorly off), but in an effort to rid the 98 XK8 of the ever so lengthy power antenna, does anyone have any feedback on the hidden antenna described in the link Amazon.com: Hidden Antenna - Fits Car, Truck, Motorcycle, Harley, Boat, Golf Cart, Campers, Amplified Antenna AM FM WB for Harley FLHT FLHX Universal Fit For All Custom Applications AM FM Car Radio Stereo Windshield Hidden Antenna: Automotive

I was hoping to find a substitute that would allow for the elimination of the antenna altogether and still provide for acceptable
AM/FM use.
I would love to eliminate the antenna, fill, smooth and finish the hole, and still have acceptable reception.
Thanks Much
There are a couple of suggestions in this thread (last couple of posts on page 3) https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...a-24564/page3/

Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm with you, Platinummaker.

I've got several other things to do first, but eventually I'm going to remove my power antenna completely, smooth over the hole and install a hidden am/fm antenna. I'll also be installing satellite radio, and will need to find a clean install point for that antenna.

This car is just too sleek and clean to have a large silver rod come flying out of the fender, and filling the hole it leaves behind will clean up that rear wing nicely.

Originally Posted by platinummaker
All,

AM/FM use.
Thanks Much

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
I'll also be installing satellite radio, and will need to find a clean install point for that antenna.
Works great on the shelf behind the rear seats in the convertible...but I suspect that location would not work so well in the coupe.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Works great on the shelf behind the rear seats in the convertible...but I suspect that location would not work so well in the coupe.
Why don't you think a sat radio antenna on the rear shelf would work well in a coupe? Just curious.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

The metal roof will reduce the signal strength significantly in some directions. It will work, but you may get an unacceptable number of drop-outs.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
platinummaker (08-02-2011), The Coupe (08-02-2011)
Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

I am going to be making up a plug-and-play cable for one of our members which will allow you to bring two video signals into the nav monitor. It is exactly as I described at the beginning of this thread, using a PAC VCI-X to interface the aftermarket Garmin nav. and HKS meter display.

The value here is that the cable will let you plug in your video source(s) without any wire cutting or soldering in your vehicle.

Besides an upgraded nav, it is also great for a reverse camera or a DVD player on the original nav. screen.

Is anyone else interested? I am ordering the connectors later this week, so let me know!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-14-2011 at 10:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (04-29-2017)
Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

good idea, not sure there will be a wave of orders initially, but owners will find the option to add a second video source to the screen more appealing over time. I'd make a few extra so you can have them 'in-stock' on your website.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H20boy
good idea, not sure there will be a wave of orders initially, but owners will find the option to add a second video source to the screen more appealing over time. I'd make a few extra so you can have them 'in-stock' on your website.

I'll definitely get parts to make up a few.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eagledancer
I'm interested.
Thanks, PM'ed for more detail on your desired setup.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I am going to be making up a plug-and-play cable for one of our members which will allow you to bring two video signals into the nav monitor. It is exactly as I described at the beginning of this thread, using a PAC VCI-X to interface the aftermarket Garmin nav. and HKS meter display.

The value here is that the cable will let you plug in your video source(s) without any wire cutting or soldering in your vehicle.

Besides an upgraded nav, it is also great for a reverse camera or a DVD player on the original nav. screen.

Is anyone else interested? I am ordering the connectors later this week, so let me know!
I was just thinking about this myself. I typically avoid making any sort of mod to a vehicle that is permanent and can't be undone easily/cleanly. Was just thinking about asking if anyone knew where to get the connectors to try to make a pigtail cable. My problem now is deciding just how much I want the digital gauges from the CAMP unit. I may just have to watch Ebay close and see if I can find a deal on both a CAMP unit and video converter to make my decision easier, lol.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Map00XKR
I was just thinking about this myself. I typically avoid making any sort of mod to a vehicle that is permanent and can't be undone easily/cleanly. Was just thinking about asking if anyone knew where to get the connectors to try to make a pigtail cable. My problem now is deciding just how much I want the digital gauges from the CAMP unit. I may just have to watch Ebay close and see if I can find a deal on both a CAMP unit and video converter to make my decision easier, lol.
I nabbed a used converter on ebay for 100 bucks which has been trouble free, but I was never able to find a deal on the HKS equipment. I did get a few leads by search for sale add on other boards, but none panned out. Try Nissan and Subaru boards, HKS stuff is popular with those guys.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice WhiteXKR, almost makes me wish the original owner had sprung for the nav option!

Quick Reply: MEGA Nav Upgrade details!...plus Integrated Gauges, XM radio and Real Time Traffic