XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Tires "Chunking"....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so glad to find this thread! Jon, I am in an identical situation to you. I recently purchased my XKR and it has Pilot Sport A/S Plus on the front with some definite "chunking". I noticed it when I inspected the car before purchasing.

I am going to Discount Tire today and I hope to duplicate the experience you had with them. I even hope that I will be going to the same one you did so I can meet this guy Tom.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,402 Likes on 2,874 Posts

My Discount Tire branch is the one on West Millbrook near the interchange with Glenwood Avenue. You may want to call ahead to see if Tom is there today....

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you....

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Default Two Non-Jags have same problem

I am not a Jag owner, but I joined this forum so I could post a reply. Both my girlfriend had a set of these, bought about the same time from Discount Tire. I bought mine on Millbrook Road in Raleigh and she bought hers in another state. I was amazed at how fast the tires wore on her car. They cracked on the sidewall and the outside and inside tread wore away very fast. It was as if the tires were falling apart. They ended up being almost bald. At the time we attributed it to underinflation. We went to another Discount Tire store to get them replaced with Yokohamas which were much better. I did not think much of it until my tires started doing something similar. I now have four tires with the sidewalls cracking and excessive wear on the outside and inside tread. They started out looking fine, but then reached a point where they started to wear away very quickly. Looking at the shoulders it was easy to see where pieces of rubber were literally coming off. Now, those two tires are nearly bald on the outside and inside tread. The other two tires still look okay. Discount Tire did tell me the problem was chunking. It is a problem that occurs with these particular tires, especially when the road is hot. I am very disappointed in the quality of these tires. They are supposed to have a 45K warranty, but I am nowhere near that. The DOT codes on the side include 4M 3V 004X. Two of them also have 1609 at the end. I was told that Michelin is aware of the chunking defect and will replace the tires. However, Discount Tire quoted me a price for the two bad ones that was higher than what I originally paid. I also have the road hazard warranty, but that did not seem to help. I am attaching three pics of my tires showing the chunking. Can you please supply me with the contact information for "Tom" that helped you? Thank you in advance.

Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (06-16-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,402 Likes on 2,874 Posts

Haven't seen or spoken with Tom since early December, but I assume he's still at the store on Millbrook Road near the Glenwood Avenue intersection. The phone number is (919) 789-8356. I recommend that you call to find out when he'll be there, then visit him in person to discuss your issue. Don't try to do this over the phone - Tom will need to see your failing tires, then set up a case with Michelin for you while you're there....

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (06-16-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM

When I went to Discount Tire I actually ended up getting helped by Patrick. I met Tom, but he didn't handle my purchase. Patrick looked at the Michelins and gave me the discounted rate on the new tires I had picked out (Bridgestone RE-760's)

Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,426 Likes on 3,514 Posts
Default Known Defect: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Tires

A link from Post #32 in this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-96987/page2/ brought me here.

I had the same problem last winter with the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires on my 2007 Lexus LS460 that I bought from Costco less than 5 months earlier. I noticed that the outer edges of all four tires looked like someone took a potato peeler to them, with shreds hanging off the edges. I was surprised because I had my car aligned at the Lexus dealer shortly after I got those new Michelins.

By the time I got to Costco, the shreds were all worn off but the outer edges of all 4 tires were noticeably worn. I had my receipts for the tires and alignment. The Costco manager did not hesitate to replace those defective tires with a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s at a pro-rated cost based on remaining tread depth to me of under $100. He told me that he has seen several cases identical to mine and that it is a known defect.

Other Michelins may be great, and worth the premium price, but the Pilot Sport All Season Plus tires are in my opinion junk and should be avoided.

Google "consumer complaints michelin pilot sport all season plus".

Just my

Old 07-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Waited for fresh rubber

I waited a few extra weeks to make sure that my new tires were freshly molded, rather than taken from the shelf. I went with Hankook Ventus V12.

All vulcanized rubber begins to degrade immediately after being vulcanized (cooked under pressure). Rubber is typically no good after only two years. It begins to chunk and crack. Of course, other elements come into play that can speed up or slow the process, such as excess sun or heat.

Other factors can come into play such as bad formulations. You can also achieve longer lasting results in non-tire applications by adding fibers.

Consider timing the installation of your next new set of tires, regardless of brand, with the arrival of a fresh batch. Your dealer can confirm with their distributor the molding date or when the next batch is being molded and shipped.