XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Mina Gallery Shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 11:07 PM
Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Nope. Same as it ever was. I installed the Mina kit in April 2019 and really appreciate its permanence....
Good thanks.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the person who wrote that you need to choose the delivery that will deliver your goods safely. Especially if it concerns some fragile parts, according to the type of part for the car, it's very important. My father ordered replacement parts for himself in his car about a year ago, and they came to him crumpled and thus absolutely unusable. Since then, I have been cautious about ordering something myself and now I try to buy something offline at once so that there would not be the same cases. If it still comes to delivery, then for now, I order only using china post ems tracking. Of course, I would be distraught if my parcel was damaged, but thank God this has not happened to me yet

Old 10-20-2021, 03:30 PM
Received 349 Likes on 177 Posts

Kuddlesworth,
I have the same model year as you and with the Adamesh 2 stage fitted. I was equally apprehensive but eventually went for the Mina pipe for it's simplicity and aesthetics - which are perhaps not the best reasons!. But after 1000miles, here are the pro's and cons as I see them:
  • It looks great and much better than OEM - especially if you show your car.
  • The supercharger whine is a little more noticeable and I find this is a really cool feature !
  • There is a slight but noticeable increase in throttle response throughout the rev.range.
  • After a warm-up run of ~10miles, the surface temp of the Mina Ali pipe is an average of 8 degrees hotter than the OEM plastic . This is based upon 5 independent measurements of both versions using a Pyrometer.. The hotter pipe probably increases the Air intake temp which is supposedly detrimental to performance but I don't notice it and I surmise that the intercoolers manage the increase in temperature delta. Also interesting is that the Mina cools down quicker than the OEM when left at tick-over with the bonnet up.
  • I haven't measured the fuel economy and refuse to do so - Owners of V8 Superchargers are supposed to be beyond such trivial things! But i would suggest that it does reduce economy because the slight increase in throttle response cannot be for free. Maybe the ECU increases fuel supply to match the slight increase in measured air - I simply don't know for sure but it is a common sense approach.
  • Definitely hold on to your old OEM Air pipe so you can revert back to standard spec as it might help to maintain sale value in the future.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by PKWise
Kuddlesworth,
I have the same model year as you and with the Adamesh 2 stage fitted. I was equally apprehensive but eventually went for the Mina pipe for it's simplicity and aesthetics - which are perhaps not the best reasons!. But after 1000miles, here are the pro's and cons as I see them:
  • It looks great and much better than OEM - especially if you show your car.
  • The supercharger whine is a little more noticeable and I find this is a really cool feature !
  • There is a slight but noticeable increase in throttle response throughout the rev.range.
  • After a warm-up run of ~10miles, the surface temp of the Mina Ali pipe is an average of 8 degrees hotter than the OEM plastic . This is based upon 5 independent measurements of both versions using a Pyrometer.. The hotter pipe probably increases the Air intake temp which is supposedly detrimental to performance but I don't notice it and I surmise that the intercoolers manage the increase in temperature delta. Also interesting is that the Mina cools down quicker than the OEM when left at tick-over with the bonnet up.
  • I haven't measured the fuel economy and refuse to do so - Owners of V8 Superchargers are supposed to be beyond such trivial things! But i would suggest that it does reduce economy because the slight increase in throttle response cannot be for free. Maybe the ECU increases fuel supply to match the slight increase in measured air - I simply don't know for sure but it is a common sense approach.
  • Definitely hold on to your old OEM Air pipe so you can revert back to standard spec as it might help to maintain sale value in the future.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. I wander if it would be a good idea to use an exhaust wrap on the intake tube to keep the engine bay heat from the air intake. Negating the increase in temperature perhaps. Would look rather cool as well.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:15 AM

Yes, any thermal insulation or heat shield would do the job.
There are some points that make the Mina superior.
The Mina has fixed diameter throughout it's length and this supports more 'Lamina flow'. In lamina flow, only the air layer in contact with pipe wall is heated which means a smaller volume of intake air is affected.
In retrospect, the OEM plastic pipe changes cross-section, has sharper bends and the inner surface has many edges. This creates turbulent flow which means more air is in contact with the pipe wall and a higher volume is heated.
This may be why I do not experience any loss of overall performance with the Mina fitted.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:40 AM

Yes, any thermal insulation or heat shield would do the job.
There are some points that make the Mina superior.
The Mina has fixed diameter throughout it's length and this supports more 'Lamina flow'. In lamina flow, only the air layer in contact with pipe wall is heated which means a smaller volume of intake air is affected.
In retrospect, the OEM plastic pipe changes cross-section, has sharper bends and the inner surface has many edges. This creates turbulent flow which means more air is in contact with the pipe wall and a higher volume is heated.
This may be why I do not experience any loss of overall performance with the Mina fitted.
Out of interest why did jaguar make the intake so weird, it has lots of pipes that stick out and are blocked off, plus it has that corrugated section. I can only assume it's to crease turbulence but I don't know why you would want to do that. Increase torque?

Old 10-21-2021, 04:33 PM

Kuddlesworth,
The standard XKR OEM intake pipes for 4.0 and 4.2 are actually engineering masterpieces (they differ). My friend did his Masters dissertation on them!
Jaguar NVH engineers developed this pipe to improve intake resonant performance and reduce acoustic emissions from the Supercharger (which spins 5% faster in our 4.2 Ltr than the 4.0 Ltr). The Supercharger emits it's loudest whine when drawing up to 410 Ltr/sec airflow and the marketeers considered this whine unsuitable for Jaguar customers [Nowadays, a supercharger whine is a considered feature on Mustangs, BMW's and Audi's]. The 'noise' is addressed by 7off silencers installed along the pipe. The silencers are the 'blocked off pipes' that you mention and appear to have no function. Each are of different length and volume to attenuate specific audible frequencies within the rev range. In it's day, it was the quietest M112 Supercharger installation on the market.
The corrugated section is to suppress passive vibration in the MAF sensor, Air box and its fasteners.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:20 PM

Kuddlesworth,
The standard XKR OEM intake pipes for 4.0 and 4.2 are actually engineering masterpieces (they differ). My friend did his Masters dissertation on them!
Jaguar NVH engineers developed this pipe to improve intake resonant performance and reduce acoustic emissions from the Supercharger (which spins 5% faster in our 4.2 Ltr than the 4.0 Ltr). The Supercharger emits it's loudest whine when drawing up to 410 Ltr/sec airflow and the marketeers considered this whine unsuitable for Jaguar customers [Nowadays, a supercharger whine is a considered feature on Mustangs, BMW's and Audi's]. The 'noise' is addressed by 7off silencers installed along the pipe. The silencers are the 'blocked off pipes' that you mention and appear to have no function. Each are of different length and volume to attenuate specific audible frequencies within the rev range. In it's day, it was the quietest M112 Supercharger installation on the market.
The corrugated section is to suppress passive vibration in the MAF sensor, Air box and its fasteners.
Makes sense. Does the passive vibrations have an effect on the MAF sensor with the Mina intake I wander?

Old 10-22-2021, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kuddlesworth
Makes sense. Does the passive vibrations have an effect on the MAF sensor with the Mina intake I wander?
I did consider it as it may fatigue over time because the filament within the MAF is very delicate.
It would be interesting to know if anyone has had MAF sensor failure with the Mina fitted.I couldn't find any reference to it during searches.
Mina do provide a rubber elbow joint for the Throttle body connection and this absorbs some vibration.
Other factors can exacerbate the vibration transmitted such as a detached instrumount beneath the air box, leaked engine mounts or de-bonded Vee mounts.
XKR's also have a small solenoid within the Air box that is at risk of vibration damage alas there is no record of it.

Last edited by PKWise; 10-22-2021 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:07 PM

I did consider it as it may fatigue over time because the filament within the MAF is very delicate.
It would be interesting to know if anyone has had MAF sensor failure with the Mina fitted.I couldn't find any reference to it during searches.
Mina do provide a rubber elbow joint for the Throttle body connection and this absorbs some vibration.
Other factors can exacerbate the vibration transmitted such as a detached instrumount beneath the air box, leaked engine mounts or de-bonded Vee mounts.
XKR's also have a small solenoid within the Air box that is at risk of vibration damage alas there is no record of it.
Yea I only found out about the solenoid in the airbox for the XKR recently. Fairly cool thing.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 765 Posts

I wish people would look at the thread’s date before necroposting with a suggestion or a solution to the original question. I wish they would also read the thread to realize that the problem has already been solved before necroposting.