XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Mina rear muffler delete, water/methanol injection & more!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Mina rear muffler delete

This is what it looks like on the car:

The car is dirty from the rain today, but you get the idea. They look pretty nice and sound fantastic.

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 09-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

The picture links won't work because it depends on a cookie that is local to your computer.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Default Oops! Thanks for the correction.

I believe that the links are now repaired. Thank you!

Yesterday afternoon, I turned the boost ON pressure to 5 3/4 psi for the injection system. It doesn't seem to have aided in the development of power. There is no negative from doing so. Perhaps I'll adjust to 6 3/4 psi and see how that goes. That kind of adjustment takes about 15 seconds to do. The techs that installed the injection system believe that 7 3/4 psi was the best. It could be that they are correct for this stock engine set-up.

(updated Noon 9/12): Hmm... about 30 minutes ago, still at 5 3/4 psi, I had felt a stumble under WOT, early in the run. Why was that?! The rear tire spun, that's why. Traction control kicked in to calm it down. I then turned the traction control off when I was waiting at a stop light a few minutes ago, then goosed it pretty good while accelerating. The tire spun a bit. There is definitely worthwhile power coming from this injection kit. It has been hot as hell here, all summer, with temperatures over 100 degrees. My injection installation and testing have been done while the temps have lowered to high 80s to high 90s. 2700 feet elevation.

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 09-12-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry to ruin the party, but aren't those exhausts a tad too large for the beautiful lady?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Default Nah.

If they were, I wouldn't have put them on. =) That's the wonderful thing about having the title in MY name.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

****Touche'****

LOL, For Sure!!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Default Still... wow!

I've got to tell you, I am truly loving driving with this water injection kit. I am still running pure distilled water at this point. I would NOT go back to driving without a water injection system. It makes a big difference in the power level and it pulls strong to the redline, seemingly, with no power fade.

The power is very smooth.

The 1 1/2 gallon water tank seems to last a bit longer than 2 tanks of gasoline at the current rate of use. I strongly recommend doing this to your Jaguar if you have forced induction. My water injection system is on the affordable side, so you don't need to go hog-wild and use a super high end unit unless you want to and can afford to do so.

I am also enjoying the fun of the Mina rear exhaust delete. The rumble is addictive. I am noticing that folks are really checking out the Jag. It is a fun car to drive and there aren't that many in town.

I like this car more, and more, and more, and...

Update 9/19/12: I forgot to mention that there is an interesting sound that is very subtle and difficult to hear with the louder supercharger whine (from the extra intake snorkel) and exhaust modification. The sound is coming from the injection of water into the intake pipe. It is a high-pitched squish sound... which sounds pretty cool. Now that I know what that sound is, it enables me to hear when the system turns on. I usually drive without the radio on and can hear it.

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 09-19-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 PM

I am now running about 25% methanol with the distilled water. Jagger likes it! I don't know why the first batch with 50% methanol/water didn't work as well as pure distilled water alone. Perhaps the motor needed to blow out some carbon? Anyway, I'll head back toward 50% meth/water and see how she goes in another 2 weeks or so. It's running GREAT.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Nice one for this thread Jeff - fascinating to read your experiments with the injection.

I've thought about adding this to a couple of friends XKR's - the pump is the main thing in how the system performs, does yours truly *mist* or can you see pulses when it injects? I assume here you ran the pump and injector to test before install? What's the injector nozzle flow rated at?

Keep us updated...

Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
I am now running about 25% methanol with the distilled water. Jagger likes it! I don't know why the first batch with 50% methanol/water didn't work as well as pure distilled water alone. Perhaps the motor needed to blow out some carbon? Anyway, I'll head back toward 50% meth/water and see how she goes in another 2 weeks or so. It's running GREAT.
It could be carbon or that they had the battery disconnected for the install which reset the ECU. The ECU learns constantly but after a reset mine feels sluggish and the throttle not very responsive. After a few hundred miles of mixed driving at various throttle positions and RPM and load it has mostly sorted itself out and is back to normal.

Keep in mind that as you change the methanol percent you are essentially changing the fuel/air mixture so the ECU will take some time to get used to the new mix and optimize performance.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Default Ah, hah!

I bet that you're right, Charlie. I hadn't thought of that.

The pump is a 200 psi unit. My Jag indie mechanics did the install and improved upon the system's electronics (installed a relay operated by the boost switch). I do not know the orifice size. I selected the orifice described by CoolingMist.com as being for a 500 hp application. I will be installing the Avos Twin Screw supercharger kit in the Spring of next year. It gets to be insanely hot here (the desert of Tucson, Arizona) and I believe that the larger injector was the correct choice. If I wasn't having an excellent improvement in horsepower on pure water, I'd consider that perhaps the injector was too large. I have installed water injection systems on supercharged cars previously and believe that they are a 'must have'.

Each time that I have changed the mix ratio, I have gone through approximately 2 tanks of gasoline.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Default Oddity

I took some hard corners under acceleration while the tank for the water/methanol injection kit was about 1/8 full. That loaded up some air in the system.

The check valve had air in it, too, and the whole thing stopped spraying.

No big deal. Bleed the air out of the lines and learn.

Note to self... if the tank is getting low, don't get crazy in the corners. Consider the tank ready to fill at the 1/3 full level. =)

Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Since no one else has mentioned this I thought I would chime in.

Are you sure you want to run methanol through the supercharger? Wouldn't that damage the rotor coatings?

I'm running my 51/49 boost juice just after the supercharger and just before the charge coolers. This helps to steam clean the coolers too.

I only saw a 7 hp gain on the dyno at about 70 degrees F and 9.5 psi boost. I could definitely feel it reving faster above 5,000 rpm, so I expected to see a larger number from the dyno, I guess my butt dyno is very sensitive.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

This is a great read! I've had a STypeR and would've loved to have had this extra accessory.

Does anyone know whether this will kill an after market power train warranty or not?

Also post pic of your other mods! !" Keep us posted

Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
Since no one else has mentioned this I thought I would chime in.

Are you sure you want to run methanol through the supercharger? Wouldn't that damage the rotor coatings?

I'm running my 51/49 boost juice just after the supercharger and just before the charge coolers. This helps to steam clean the coolers too.

I only saw a 7 hp gain on the dyno at about 70 degrees F and 9.5 psi boost. I could definitely feel it reving faster above 5,000 rpm, so I expected to see a larger number from the dyno, I guess my butt dyno is very sensitive.
It can wear the coatings if you run a lot of liquid through it but on the other hand, one of the things that the blower porting companies do is strip the rotors so I'm not sure it's a bad thing really. What you might hear is a slight increase in noise for not having the coatings.

What you do get is cooling the air charge before compressing it and also the liquid will help seal the rotor tolerances, so there is some upside to the trade off.

Similar to Jeff I run a before the throttle body injection system, and what I've noticed is that it's good for maybe 2psi more on the boost gauge when using the system vs not.

Haven't put it on a dyno (yet) but have been planning to, just for funsies.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Mina Muffler Delete

Your info is great but it's tough to judge on a video what sound you will get. I'm looking for a deeper exhaust note but do not want to sound lke 8 harleys going down the street. Maybe I'm picky but I'd like to be able to talk in the car when cruising down the freeway. Do you think the Mina Mufler delete kit would fit that bill?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job. I love the sound. Don't try that crap on Speedway. I've never been stopped more on any road than that one.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Default Methanol and Mina

I am still liking the methanol injection BIG TIME. The Mina muffler deletes are great for what they do, but not for how they are. What does that mean?

There is a minor increase in horsepower by excluding the rear mufflers. I think that the sound is FANTASTIC without being too loud and guys keep telling me that the car sounds awesome when we're at stop lights. I also like the look of the tips. THE DOWNFALL... the construction of the pipe supports that come with kit ARE TERRIBLE. I had to have both completely re-designed and custom crafted at a cost that almost equated the cost of the entire muffler delete kit. Also, the delete pipes don't 'relax' in the correct position, the mounts have to force them there. There may be some sort of angle variance curing their manufacture. If you get this kit, understand that you should NOT use the supplied mounting hardware.

If you have the money and time, consider opting for a custom made set of pipes at a local, high-end exhaust shop, choosing your own tips.

I am now happy with what I've got, but would have rather not had to go through installation, then having to have the mounts messed with so much. They are great on my car, but only due to my great Jag techs re-designing the mounting hardware. They repaired each side once with fresh welds, then the pipes hung loose from the car AGAIN, then we went full on custom with the hardware.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ground clearance

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
I am still liking the methanol injection BIG TIME. The Mina muffler deletes are great for what they do, but not for how they are. What does that mean?

There is a minor increase in horsepower by excluding the rear mufflers. I think that the sound is FANTASTIC without being too loud and guys keep telling me that the car sounds awesome when we're at stop lights. I also like the look of the tips. THE DOWNFALL... the construction of the pipe supports that come with kit ARE TERRIBLE. I had to have both completely re-designed and custom crafted at a cost that almost equated the cost of the entire muffler delete kit. Also, the delete pipes don't 'relax' in the correct position, the mounts have to force them there. There may be some sort of angle variance curing their manufacture. If you get this kit, understand that you should NOT use the supplied mounting hardware.

If you have the money and time, consider opting for a custom made set of pipes at a local, high-end exhaust shop, choosing your own tips.

I am now happy with what I've got, but would have rather not had to go through installation, then having to have the mounts messed with so much. They are great on my car, but only due to my great Jag techs re-designing the mounting hardware. They repaired each side once with fresh welds, then the pipes hung loose from the car AGAIN, then we went full on custom with the hardware.
Hi Jeff

I've been following your exploits with great interest. I have a 2006 XKR in SoCal - not quite as hot as Tucson but pretty close. Have you run into any ground clearance issues with the Mina pipes? I'm concerned that running a large bore pipe under the rear suspension will have me scraping on every speed bump in town.

Once you have your twin-screw conversion complete I will be very interested to hear the results but also (if you're willing to share) the costs. It is clearly a major piece of work being undertaken by a professional shop.

If you find yourself in SoCal you must come and drive our local roads - they're great for getting the kitty to growl.

Here's a video I shot a few months ago. Sorry about the sound - I tried to get iMovie to reduce the wind noise and the result was terrible! Yes that is a Ferrari 430 Spyder and an Audi R8GT following me

Regards

Nick

Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Default Videos

I've seen your vids before and love them! The size of the Mina rear muffler delete is the same as the rest of the exhaust, the pipes don't have the mufflers, though. There is no dragging issue. The sound is awesome, and of course, there is less restriction.

I should be driving my XKR with its new motor and supercharger next week! Wahoo!

Quick Reply: Mina rear muffler delete, water/methanol injection & more!