XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Mina rear muffler delete, water/methanol injection & more!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by baxkr
Hi Jeff

I've been following your exploits with great interest. I have a 2006 XKR in SoCal - not quite as hot as Tucson but pretty close. Have you run into any ground clearance issues with the Mina pipes? I'm concerned that running a large bore pipe under the rear suspension will have me scraping on every speed bump in town.

Once you have your twin-screw conversion complete I will be very interested to hear the results but also (if you're willing to share) the costs. It is clearly a major piece of work being undertaken by a professional shop.

If you find yourself in SoCal you must come and drive our local roads - they're great for getting the kitty to growl.

Here's a video I shot a few months ago. Sorry about the sound - I tried to get iMovie to reduce the wind noise and the result was terrible! Yes that is a Ferrari 430 Spyder and an Audi R8GT following me

GMR 20120825 final - YouTube
Regards

Nick

Would have been more impressive if you were able to stick right behind the Ferrari.

That is a terrible place to ride a bike. LOL

Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
I've seen your vids before and love them! The size of the Mina rear muffler delete is the same as the rest of the exhaust, the pipes don't have the mufflers, though. There is no dragging issue. The sound is awesome, and of course, there is less restriction.

I should be driving my XKR with its new motor and supercharger next week! Wahoo!
Thanks for the update. My concern was that the Mina pipes go under the rear suspension whereas the stock ones go over. I'm glad to hear they don't ground out.

I realized, after posting the video, that I might have posted it before so forgive me for being repetitive.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

I have now removed the water/methanol injection system. I now have the AVos Twin Screw supercharger on a newer 4.2 engine. Advice suggests that it is possible to have the mixture enter the supercharger, become steam, then condense BACK to liquid in the intercoolers, entering the engine as liquid. It is possible that this can cause undue pressure in the cylinders and could prematurely wear out an engine. In the near future, I will use a Chiller Killer to accomplish a similar cooling effect without injecting anything.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

JgaXKR can confirm but if I remember correctly, it was the combination of the killer chiller and the water injection that caused the problem because of the very cold intercooler temps condensing the humidity.

Sometimes two good things do not, together, make a better thing.

I plan on leaving the water injection along with the twin screw, so if I end up breaking something then we will have 2 data points and can put it in the FAQ.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default That makes sense

Interesting! I will be curious to see how you like the water/methanol injection and I may reconnect it.

Edit: I now have reconnected the water methanol injection system and it is working just fine with the twin screw supercharger kit.

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 04-26-2013 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike V (05-23-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
This video is better for hearing the louder whine from the supercharger due to having dual intake snorkels on the air box with a K&N panel filter. I'll have to shoot a video from outside the car to let you hear what the Mina exhaust delete pipes sound like.
Do you by chance have a exhaust video of your Mina rear muffler delete? I am considering it for my car. Can you describe the sound? Also the picture of the back of your car with the pipes sticking out pretty far is that normal for the Mina kit?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Id say install a universal 75 shot nitrous kit on your XK8 with WOT switch.

I mainly cruise around town, a full tank lasted me about 6 months in my other car. I suggest a 20lb tank .
Cost about $70 to refill a 20lb unit, and your good for 6 months.

They did a 200+ shot but added extra fuel, the 75 shot above will work just fine with your stock engine and all components.Being we have DOHC cam engines,with high compression your car will rocket like a space ship that I PROMISE.

Last edited by aode06; 11-13-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Does anyone have or know of anyone that has used a NOS system on a Jaguar? I know mustang and camaro guys that use it religiously without incident and make big numbers in the qt mile.

Originally Posted by aode06
Id say install a universal 75 shot nitrous kit on your XK8 with WOT switch.

I mainly cruise around town, a full tank lasted me about 6 months in my other car. I suggest a 20lb tank .
Cost about $70 to refill a 20lb unit, and your good for 6 months.

They did a 200+ shot but added extra fuel, the 75 shot above will work just fine with your stock engine and all components.Being we have DOHC cam engines,with high compression your car will rocket like a space ship that I PROMISE.