XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Mirror Motor raplacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mirror Motor replacement

My passenger side mirror on 97XK8 only adjusts left-right, up-down adjustment does not work. I would imagine I need a new motor. Could someone recommend a source?

Thanks.

Last edited by reko19; 12-08-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM

I think I found them on eBay in UK. How do I take mirror cover of, does it just snaps of somehow? Thanks.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Reko
It may not be your motor, could be a door module, you need to pull a code off of you obd II. Not all obd II readers will pick up all of the Jaguars codes. I have the Auto Enginuity scanner with the Jag module and it will pick up these codes.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 12-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I will put money on it it is the motor, they have a fine white plastic toothed track the mirror travels along and it is the teeth that shear off, the motor itself will be fine but you cannot just change the track.

Get a fine blade on the underside of the mirror cover and it pulls off, it is then easy to remove the mirror and the motor via a couple of long screws.

Pretty self explanatory once you look inside and easy to do, you wont have any probs, I have had to change quite a few over the years.

Good luck

Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 AM

Thank you for the replies. I went thru old service records and one of them states that a new mirror motor is required. Apparently previous owner never took care of it. Anybody knows where I could get a reasonably priced motor in the US instead of shipping it from UK?

Last edited by reko19; 12-09-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

try our forum sponsors reko (Go here for the list and contact info), either Dan at Nalley Jaguar or JPAM (Guadin Jaguar), I've shopped them both and they repeatedly beat any other internet price I can find. And trust me, I shop around. Nalley Jag offers free shipping for orders >$25 and stocks alot of the hard to find items, where most dealers have to order them. If you want used, try Specialized Parts Planet in CA, they have a huge inventory of salvage jags. Also a sponsor of the forum, rather new, so tell them you're a forum member. Its nice to know their advertising dollars are being spent wisely.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
try our forum sponsors reko (Go here for the list and contact info), either Dan at Nalley Jaguar or JPAM (Guadin Jaguar), I've shopped them both and they repeatedly beat any other internet price I can find. And trust me, I shop around. Nalley Jag offers free shipping for orders >$25 and stocks alot of the hard to find items, where most dealers have to order them. If you want used, try Specialized Parts Planet in CA, they have a huge inventory of salvage jags. Also a sponsor of the forum, rather new, so tell them you're a forum member. Its nice to know their advertising dollars are being spent wisely.
Good idea, I will confirm this weekend that this indeed is the motor and report my findings

thanks everyone for your help

Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I will put money on it it is the motor, they have a fine white plastic toothed track the mirror travels along and it is the teeth that shear off, the motor itself will be fine but you cannot just change the track.

Get a fine blade on the underside of the mirror cover and it pulls off, it is then easy to remove the mirror and the motor via a couple of long screws.

Pretty self explanatory once you look inside and easy to do, you wont have any probs, I have had to change quite a few over the years.

Good luck
I am having hard time taking back cover off without applying too much force, afraid I am going to break it. Is this the area I am supposed to be inserting a blade into?

I also ordered a set of plastic trim removal tools, might be better than using a blade.
Thanks.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member

That is correct, you do have to give it a little bit of pressure, the cover is held on by 3 prongs going into metal clips. The only reason you need to take the cover off is to make it easy to take the mirror out. I find it difficult to do this but possible without removing the cover, the motor lies directly behind the mirror.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
That is correct, you do have to give it a little bit of pressure, the cover is held on by 3 prongs going into metal clips. The only reason you need to take the cover off is to make it easy to take the mirror out. I find it difficult to do this but possible without removing the cover, the motor lies directly behind the mirror.
so insert a blade and apply pressure UP?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Insert the blade and pull towards you, say 90 degrees to the mirror

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

thank you, will give it another go tonight

Old 12-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Well, I will be now looking for the new motor and a new cover since I did manage to break upper posts off. On a bright note if I ever need to do another one should be no problem. Was able to take the mirror off without breaking anything although I was sweating a bit.

I am sure it'll put a smile on the faces of seasoned jag owners, but I was scratching my head for a while today looking for a battery to put my battery tender on. Don't know why but now when I get into the car steering column moves up and down even though it wasn't doing it before and driver side window stays about 1" down after I turn the car off. I need to push the door button to close it all the way up. This must have something to do with me disconnecting the battery, is there a setting somewhere for this?

regards

Old 12-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

You need to reset the window memory. Open the window and hold the switch in the down position until you hear a click sound. Then raise the window and hold the switch in the up position until you hear the same click. Window should reset. If you took the battery out of the circuit, you may need to reset memories for multiple functions. See the switch on the left side of the steering column. The steering wheel can be set to manual or automatic.

The following users liked this post:
reko19 (12-11-2010)
Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
You need to reset the window memory. Open the window and hold the switch in the down position until you hear a click sound. Then raise the window and hold the switch in the up position until you hear the same click. Window should reset. If you took the battery out of the circuit, you may need to reset memories for multiple functions. See the switch on the left side of the steering column. The steering wheel can be set to manual or automatic.
thank you

Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by reko19
Well, I will be now looking for the new motor and a new cover since I did manage to break upper posts off. On a bright note if I ever need to do another one should be no problem. Was able to take the mirror off without breaking anything although I was sweating a bit.

Ooops, must admit to of breaking one once myself but havent done since, they can be a bit of a PITA but normally they come off quite easy.

Then again I do come across a few that have been broken as they have since been glued on with the obligatory blob of silicone.